You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Recommend some dark/horror/mystery games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #1

Default Recommend some dark/horror/mystery games

As title. I've played the GK series and have currently just started playing Black Mirror.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Pickle

the only adventure game i have played that might fit this criteria is Corpse Party. but then again, that's more of a visual novel than anything else.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #3

Phantasmagoria
Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #4

I'm going to state the obvious here: Post Mortem, Still Life 1 (the sequel to Post Mortem -- better than its predecessor), and The Lost Crown (which is a much-longer play than the others I mentioned).
Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #5

Blackstone Chronicles
Shivers 1/2
Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon
Penumbra series
Amnesia
Scratches
Asylum (not released yet, probably late 2012)

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Alone in the dark.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #7

Downfall, by harvester games
5 days a stranger (free)
7 days a sceptic (free)
Trilby's Notes (free)
6 day's a sacrafice(free)

All of those free ones I mentioned can be downloaded here :
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk...php?category=6 just look through the pages till u find them

The lost crown is probably my favorite dark/scary adventure game, Amnesia is also pretty scary but I haven't finished it yet.

The Cat Lady is scheadualed to come out later this year and it looks fantastic to me.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #8

Other games with similar atmosphaire:

1) Amber Journeys Beyond
2) Lighthouse
3) Amnesia
4) Barrow Hill
5) Darkfall 1-2-3
6) Darkseed 1-2
Old 03-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Lazy Bee

Darkness Within has a lot of dark atmosphere. And Scratches of course, really scary imo.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Call of Cthulhu : Dark Corners of the Earth
Dead Reefs
Rhiannon : Curse of the Four Branches
Also, if you're just wanting mystery/conspiracy type games -
Secret Files : Tunguska and Secret Files : Puritas Cordis

Thats all I can think of right now
Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #11

I have to second The Lost Crown. Probably the scariest game I've ever played if you don't mind black and white graphics and some bad voice acting. Scratches was also really good and scary I thought.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Old timer - Adv. Addict

I'd say, first of all stop playing the "Black mirror" series, it's really not worth it, I'm just finishing the third one now, and the only reason I am is because I've put so much time on this thing already.

Any of the suggestions here are much better then "black mirror", I'd say if you can get Phantasmagoria running it's a pretty good ride, albeit pretty easy too; If you want to stray from the AG type game I wager "Undying" is a scary expirience
Old 03-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Disagree. I very much enjoyed Black Mirror 2 and 3, especially for seeing the character arc of Darren, for the fun twists in the plot, and for the dark, expressive atmosphere of the game's aesthetics. Keep playing!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #14

Thanks, I have heard of most of these games and some I have played, some I haven't. As for Black Mirror, yeah I have heard mixed things about it but I have only just started. I am still on Chapter 1, though I have sort of got distracted playing Dungeon Keeper 2 which I will probably complete first before getting back to it (still an amazingly fun game all these years since its release).

I have The Lost Crown which I started some time ago but never got around to finishing. I am playing on a netbook now and unfortunately The Lost Crown (and Amnesia) will not play on netbooks.

Played and completed Undying which was pretty good and Phantasmagoria was enjoyable trashy fun.

But yeah will definitely check out some of the others mentioned.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #15

Thersia Dear Emily I would recommend. Great story and very dark. Anyone who loves a dark horror game should enjoy this one.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #16

Shadow of the Comet - the best adaptation of Lovecraft that happened to be an adventure game! All the mystery and horror you ever dreamed of.
Also Quest for Glory 4 quotes a large number of horror fiction like Frankenstein, Dracula and Wolfman, different legends, Russian fairy tales and, again, Lovecraft.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to escapism

I finished Black Mirror series last month and i loved them. You must play the three of them respectively.

For the other game, I recommend Daemonica, i played it a few years ago and it was the best experience i have on dark mystery game. It is a low rated game by many people, but certain people like me or other fans of dark/mystery game should like it.
It seems like a RPG game but it's not. The strong points of this game are its storyline and atmosphere. It is not scary but the mysterious story and dark sorrow atmosphere made me very curious and excited. Oh, and the music is also suited very well with the game.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #18

I just finished Black Mirror 1. I liked it, only got stuck a few times (the zodiac puzzle was ridiculous, the clock in Robert's study I had no clue about (and still don't) and I couldn't work out how to fix the clippers near the end as I missed the damn nail!). Apart from that no problem. The voice acting was atrocious I mean come on how can it be so bad!! Really doesn't help you connect to any of the characters or the setting. The ending was utter garbage but even so it definitely had it's share of great moments and I didn't find it boring at all. Perfect length as well (apart from the lame last chapter). One thing I didn't like too much was when characters would say "I'm busy come back later" and you would have to do nothing for 5 or 10 mins...or in the last case with the priest you would have to visit every available area on the map (despite there being nothing to do there) before going back and talking to him. Would also have been good to have some kind of choice in the conversation options and more than one ending... Theres other stuff but yeah I still liked it.

I'm not certain I understood it all though, is this about right?

Spoiler:
1. I get Samuel was the one behind all the murders, I kinda saw that coming as soon as the confession booth scene got underway. But what happened to William? He took his ring off that was protecting him and then I'm guessing he was about to be consumed by the evil so he took his own life by jumping from the tower?

2. Why did Samuel need to kill all those random people anyway, is that pretty much what the curse is? He has some split personality disorder caused by it right and in the end "good" Samuel ended the curse and then he killed himself in the same way William did so as to stop the curse from ever continuing and moreso over guilt over what he had done? Is that about right?

3. And what about Robert? How did he die? That whole sideplot about the horrific experiments and Robert and the Doc wasn't explored enough and how did it even tie in to the main story?

But yeah I enjoyed it, hopefully part 2 is as good.

Last edited by Annoymous Broccoli; 03-26-2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #19

The Last Half of Darkness series are good horror games - the first three are played in 1st person & the last one 3rd person.