Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Who Remembers.... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30523-who-remembers.html)

MaFratelli 02-23-2012 03:01 PM

I played Maniac Mansion, Shadowgate and Deja Vu on my fancy NES console back in the late 80's/early 90's before I even knew what adventure games were.

I played one of the early Leisure Suit Larry's together with an equally innocent friend on her Commodore 64 without ever understanding what the game was actually about (ooh pretty colours!).

The first AGs I played on a computer of my own were Beneath a Steel Sky and Day of the Tentacle. Without sound.

Good times.

Andromus 02-23-2012 03:35 PM

I can't say for certain since it's been a couple decades, but it was one of a trio of ICOM games played circa 1991 back in my NES days: Shadowgate, Uninvited and Deja Vu.

crabapple 02-23-2012 03:46 PM

Myst on a 486.
I still have the 486.

rickeb1 02-23-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoyoteAG (Post 601499)
The first adventure game that I played was a text adventure but I have no idea what it was called. The only thing that I remember from it was that you had to get a bird in a cage and use it to drive away a snake that was blocking your path.

That was the first game I played as well! Got it to go with my new IBM-PC around 1981 or so. I think it was called something like, just Adventure, or Colossal Cave, something like that.

~ Rick

lewuz 02-25-2012 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminusEst (Post 601518)
...bunch of games and a collection of game guides and walkthroughs in a book form. Seriously! It was called "The Encyclopedia of Computer Games Vol. 1" or something to that effect. I don't think that a second volume ever came out. That was not in an English-speaking country by the way...

I'm pretty sure I know what u r talking about (isn't it?). I think i even should have this somewhere. :)

TerminusEst 02-25-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewuz (Post 601670)
I'm pretty sure I know what u r talking about (isn't it?). I think i even should have this somewhere. :)

No, I am not from Estonia. It's still in the Eastern Bloc but quite a bit to the South. :P I am not excluding the possibility that we are talking about different translations of the same book though.

Manhunter71 02-26-2012 01:38 AM

Ooh, wow, brings back memories!
The first adventure I ever played was Dark Seed for the Commodore 64. Man, that game spooked me when I was about 12 I think.
Played it again recently using some kind of emulator - very disappointing

Apart from that, the only adventure game I remember from sooo long ago is Monkey Island - again for the C64 I think.

TimovieMan 02-26-2012 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manhunter71 (Post 601765)
Played it again recently using some kind of emulator - very disappointing

This is exactly why some things from our youth should remain there, lest we destroy precious memories...

Siddhi 02-27-2012 08:48 AM

My first was Amazon on the C64 - http://www.mobygames.com/game/amazon

Its a text adventure (with some static graphics) written by Michael Crichton. It came with this huge awesome printed map of the amazon.

Tough game with lots of constant saving, random dying (jumped upon by jaguars, cannibals, traps, pits and what have you), and sitting with a pad of paper and taking notes, and marking it on the map. But in spite of that it set up an immersive world that just drew you in. Still have lots of fond memories of sitting with my dad and brother and playing it.

Guyra 02-27-2012 12:31 PM

Text adventures were a bit before my time, I'm afraid. But I did one about a year ago, it was rereleased for free online as a browser game and was either based on or inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, although I didn't play it until the end. Turned out that I had missed one item which a gargoyle thing flew off with. No means of getting it back. And it was impossible to complete the game without it.

But I really immersed myself in the game, I could basically see everything that went on in my mind. Real fun! I might track it down again later, and play through it. And remember to take that item before the gargoyle thing does. ;)

Hammerite 02-27-2012 01:56 PM

The Day of the Tentacle, I think. I know I was very young because I had to get my older sister or an adult to talk to Dr. Fred for me, because his voice scared me.

inm8#2 02-27-2012 06:05 PM

It must have been King's Quest 1 or Police Quest 3.

skeeter_93 02-28-2012 06:06 AM

Technically it was Star Trek Kobayashi Maru, Mickey Mouse Space Adventure, Winnie the Pooh or Murder on the Mississippi on the Commodore 64. But I usually count Monkey Island and the LSL1/PQ1/SQ1 pack that we got when we first got a PC.

Gonzosports 03-02-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickeb1 (Post 601555)
That was the first game I played as well! Got it to go with my new IBM-PC around 1981 or so. I think it was called something like, just Adventure, or Colossal Cave, something like that.

~ Rick

Was it Scott Adam's "Pirate Adventure"?

Because my first adventure game is easily one of the best memories of my whole life. My parents bought a Commodore PET computer, and purchased (in addition to a forgettable Avalon Hill space game) two CASSETTE tapes (or was it one double-sided?) which included Scott Adam's original "Adventure" and of course, "Pirate Adventure."

It's where I learned what a chigger was. Seriously, though, the memories I have of being a kid with my parents around that green screen trying to puzzle out the most ridiculous puzzles known to man - and just to let you know, that was no mongoose.

I must have been, 8? 9? and yet I still remember the non-goose.

I'll add that we also played Infocom's "Suspect" together, but...I remember my parents giving up on that. I still have never solved it, in some way, knowing that that mystery still exists...well...

Man, those are some truly fantastic memories.

skeeter_93 03-03-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzosports (Post 602385)
I'll add that we also played Infocom's "Suspect" together, but...I remember my parents giving up on that. I still have never solved it, in some way, knowing that that mystery still exists...well...

Man, those are some truly fantastic memories.

I feel the same way about Murder on the Mississippi. I tell myself one day I'll solve it, but I know I never will...