Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Daedalic's Deponia on Steam? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30521-daedalics-deponia-steam.html)

Ariadne 02-22-2012 05:06 AM

Daedalic's Deponia on Steam?

Hey everyone,

Just saw that there's a petition running for Daedalic's Deponia to be listed on Steam. I would love to see Daedalic's new adventure on Steam.

What do you think?

If you want to help, you can sign the petition here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2502739

Thanks for your help !!!! :)

scheppart 02-22-2012 05:46 AM

yes, everybody please sign the petition

and join the adventure group:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/adventureren

thx

jhetfield21 02-22-2012 07:58 AM

I don't know if it's any indication but on the thread about Daedalic's other game Das Schwartze Auge: Satinavs Ketten there is a debate about it going on Steam because it's going to be a Steam DRM release.I'm not sure if wishing Deponia to be released on Steam is a good idea.I'm not talking like i know but it'll probably be a Steam DRM version too.And based on what I read on the other game's thread it's not something we really wish for.

Monolith 02-22-2012 08:28 AM

I really could care less about Steam DRM. People do realize devs had gotten more money when released on Steam than the other way around? It creates a better economy for PC Gaming.

Ariadne 02-22-2012 09:04 AM

@Jhetfield: Yeah, I came across that thread as well. But from what I gathered in the long quote posted somewhere towards the end of the thread, they mainly need the steam release to keep their company running. That means to produce sequels to Deponia and their other games.
Also they said, that it doesn't mean there won't be retail-boxes in other countries outside of germany.
(link to the post on a german board: http://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/...466829#p466829 )

As far as I understand it, Steam just seems to be a good opportunity for the game to be published really *worldwide*, and not on only a few local markets for quite high costs.

Won't stop me though to keep my fingers crossed, that there'll be retail boxes as well :)

jhetfield21 02-22-2012 09:52 AM

my doubts are as to if the DRM version is really necessary....i haven't used Steam at all but from what i know so far i gather there can be a simple Steam version.what i don't get is why the decision to make it DRM.Even big time companies tried DRM versions and failed utterly.
Even though I prefer boxed versions ,due to some kind of weird assurance, I think Steam is a really good system of distribution and especially for small developers.

Fien 02-22-2012 10:07 AM

It's a shame that Daedalic can't get games like Edna accepted at Steam when for instance the Blackwell Series, Dark Fall: Lost Souls, Machinarium, Samorost 2, Secret Files: Tunguska are. It's unfortunate that Steam has so much power, but if Daedalic wants to survive it should get on Steam. That's the long and short of it.

Phaid 02-23-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 601343)
I really could care less about Steam DRM. People do realize devs had gotten more money when released on Steam than the other way around? It creates a better economy for PC Gaming.

That applies to digital distribution in general, Steam just happens to be largest dd channel out there - which is a direct result of years of forcing PC gamers to install this client by bundling it with the vast majority of big budget releases, starting with Half-life 2.
I vastly prefer Gamersgate or Impulse, which don't make me install and run some bloatware at all times for games I purchased to launch. Unfortunately, it's gotten to the point where even titles bought via Gamersgate force you to install Steam anyway.

I'm perfectly fine with Deponia appearing on Steam for those who want it, I really am, but if that means the English boxed release will utilize Steam DRM just like The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav, I'm not sure I should support this petition. I want to be able to be given a chance to obtain a DRM-free version.

PC gaming has always been about choice, right now, I can't shake the feeling Valve are turning it into a closed platform where they control everything.

aimless 02-23-2012 07:28 AM

"I can't shake the feeling Valve are turning it into a closed platform where they control everything."

You're not alone.

TimovieMan 02-23-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaid (Post 601469)
PC gaming has always been about choice, right now, I can't shake the feeling Valve are turning it into a closed platform where they control everything.

^ This.

inm8#2 02-23-2012 09:25 AM

I've been trying to warn people against Steam for some time, but the fanboys won't have it.

Steam has become an extremely dangerous monopoly. They can close your account at any time without reason and cause you to lose all of your games. Their communication with customers is horrible.

Yet, everywhere you go the Steamheads ask, "Can I activate it on Steam?" They are irrationally obsessed. How hard is it to keep track of games in more than one place? Make a spreadsheet if it's that complicated.

I avoid Steam. Pretty much all the games I have on there are from indie bundles I purchased separately, and fortunately those indie bundles offer DRM-free installers anyways.

crabapple 02-23-2012 03:47 PM

How about Deponia on GOG?

jhetfield21 02-23-2012 06:04 PM

that one i've tried and i would be more than pleased to see it there.......though gog is supposed to be a repository for good old games as it's initials say.

aimless 02-23-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhetfield21 (Post 601542)
that one i've tried and i would be more than pleased to see it there.......though gog is supposed to be a repository for good old games as it's initials say.

GOG says they're going to be releasing newer games, between one and three years old. It won't be long before Bracken Tor qualifies.

Fien 02-23-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 601554)
GOG says they're going to be releasing newer games, between one and three years old. It won't be long before Bracken Tor qualifies.

ROTFL!!!

That's almost worth the 30 euros Iceberg took from me when I preordered Bracken Tor 18 months ago.(How many publishers do that? Most are decent enough to wait until the release date.)

BTW, I most certainly do not want GOG to have too much power either. They should stick to the older games.

aimless 02-23-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 601556)
BTW, I most certainly do not want GOG to have too much power either.

I'd kind of like to see GOG wipe the floor with Valve but I doubt you'll have anything to worry about any time soon.

Fien 02-24-2012 05:52 AM

Well, the key word is "either". :D I don't want any site/company to have that much power and monopolise the adventure scene.

scheppart 02-25-2012 05:28 PM

back to topic please =). if you hate steam, thats ok, but if you don't and you want to see deponia on it, please sign. and i realy think there are much better genres to monopolise then adventure games ;)

Siddhi 02-27-2012 08:54 AM

Yeah I want to see it on Steam. Its a shame that many european adventures aren't on steam.. really missing out on a big international audience.

Siddhi 02-27-2012 09:01 AM

As for the monopoly bit, let them release it on impulse, desura and other platforms too. Then we can choose from any one :) But seriously, any game that is not on Steam is missing out big time.

As for GOG, I had voted in their survey some time back -- they should stick to old games. Its a great niche for them, and what attracted all their audience in the first place. It would suck if they became yet another general purpose game distribution platform.