You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Cradle (Flying Cafe Games)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #21

@TiAgUh: I'm not questioning that you know what your are talking about and in a schoolbook-way it makes perfect sense. But perhaps you've learned what you know so thoroughly that you need to take a step back to get the bigger picture. But maybe it's indeed a language or definition problem.

Quote:
I mean, wth has color theory to do with extremely washed-out colors in everything cept manmade stuff? Such huge disparity (saturation-wise) goes exactly against the harmounious goal based on the color wheel. The ridiculous emphasis on interactibles by extreme environmental dullness is just plain dumb and you know it.
The first sentence is simply wrong, the last one insulting.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #22
handsome

In a schoolbook-way you mean one of my degrees, right? Insulting cause of the wobbly syntax or the actual reasoning? If for the latter, well, I'm just seeing you saying I'm wrong then saying I'm not that wrong and then coming back to the initial statement -- and you said Monolith sounded cocky and vague with that phrase, dude.

You're stuck in the meaning of each color and it's variations and OF COURSE that's what devs strug-whatever, you guys already went thru all that; that's not what "color theory" is about, just like pleasing the eye isn't what food is about. And bigger picture my ass man, you're sounding like Deepak Chopra with his half-interpretations of quantum mechanics, dismissing his fallacies with the bigger picture argument. Look at one of the in-your-face objects then look at the wheel then look at the bleached background, simple as that.

It's way too quiet now... the offtopicness police must be watching.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #23

I think I'm done talking to you.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #24

If you want AMAZING use of Color Theory, Rage is a great example. Each character 'home/hub' has such crisp contrast between darks and lights. I can understand what is meant by 'washed out' as not having a balance of blacks and whites, similiar to how Photography is judged.

Rage utilizes the monotone desert environments to expose the contrast and beauty of these character set piece environments which are full of color, detail and design.

@TiAgUh: What school did you go to? This isn't judging your expertise on the type of school or degree. I'm just curious.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 02-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #25

I assume this game takes place in a polluted environment where grayish green toxins have been released into the atmosphere and have formed a haze. That's what it looks like anyway.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #26

A new day, new patience.

Ok, TiAgUh, so here is a more helpful, if not exactly friendly answer:
I didn't talk about your degrees, nor wanted to insult them or you. I don't know you. (But if you find critique to be insulting then so be it. Yours was a lot harsher and indeed insulting but I come to that later. )
In case you mentioned those degrees in order to prove you know what you're talking about I already acknowledged that. I understand what you are talking about for most of the time and be it by rereading some sentences several times. I try to understand you and I know my color theory.
However all that doesn't change the fact that you do have a very specific understanding of the term color theory, probably because you have learned it that way and you fail to understand or accept what for example I am talking about. Again, might be it's a language or definition problem but on top of that you seem to be a sloppy reader, who doesn't really care to understand what others are talking about. It's not so hard to work out what part of the quote i found to be insulting, especially when I pointed out earlier that one of my concerns was your disrespect for the cradle artists.
Perhaps I could have expressed it clearer but it's doable, don't you think, dude?

There is not one color theory that is represented by one color wheel. It's a field. It has a historical background but it's ever evolving.
For example we know today red is not the complimentary of green. But we are used to that combination nonetheless. Would you tell someone who uses red and green to symbolize a clash that he obviously doesn't know his color theory and is only led by old habits and tradition? Traditions might differ from culture to culture.
Even with one of the more common circles you can do a lot of different things. The initial goal might have been to create "working" color combinations and it certainly gives you the tools for that. But as an artist you set the goals and use the tools to reach it. Calling the decision of the cradle artists dumb and ridiculous is insulting and condescending.
(I realize Monoliths first answer was condescending, too and so am I.)
Color theory also encompasses color meaning and that also might very well differ from culture to culture as well as what certain color-combinations evoke in the viewer. Some years ago that was even more apparent in games from Eastern Europe and Russia. Being flooded with western influences they start to adapt but that doesn't mean they were wrong and we were right.

Picking desaturated colors from the center of your wheel or desaturated area of a HSV space or whatever and contrasting those with some highly saturated ones is not unheard of. And it makes perfect sense, too, since desaturated "colors" go with almost everything. And yes, that's what color theory is about, too.
A tool to understand how certain colors work together. (Or don't.)
Now you can stick to your understanding and what you have learned, there's no problem in that. But don't inflict it on others.
Those screenshots might go against your viewing habits and what you have learned, but neither do they show a lack of understanding of color theory nor are they poorly done. You just don't like them. The artist(s) made some choices that you don't agree with but that doesn't mean those choices are ridiculous or stupid.

Last edited by Shnubble; 02-23-2012 at 06:57 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
What school did you go to? This isn't judging your expertise on the type of school or degree. I'm just curious.
Awww my bud wants to know me better , UHLT. But autodidacticism is da shiznit man, I was just reinforcing the idea of it being a subject I've dealt with many times, even if I wanted it or not. Now yours; parade those epic diplomas!

And Jesus!! Shnubble, stop being such a wuss. A discussion is a discussion, there's no malicious intentions whatsoever or else I would've told you to fuck off with that "patience" statement, so half of that text just made me roll my eyes real hard. The other half made me yawn; Ok if you say so, just don't make me read another text of you, as they say around here, giving me music.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:26 AM   #28
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
But autodidacticism is da shiznit man
^ This. A diploma is just a piece of paper...
Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
^ This. A diploma is just a piece of paper...
A diploma is also the very thing that gets a person a job or not. I've self-taught myself ever since I modded Wolfentstein 3d back in 1994. Then learned 3ds Max in 1998 to mess around in quake. 2010 I got my diploma for Game Arts & Design at Mt Sierra College. For the past four years I've worked at Tic Toc Games, Wayforward Technologies, Sunken Media, Electronic Arts, Blizzard, and thatgamecompany. Something speaks more than diploma and autodidacticism. Its called experience.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #30
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
A diploma is also the very thing that gets a person a job or not. I've self-taught myself ever since I modded Wolfentstein 3d back in 1994. Then learned 3ds Max in 1998 to mess around in quake. 2010 I got my diploma for Game Arts & Design at Mt Sierra College. For the past four years I've worked at Tic Toc Games, Wayforward Technologies, Sunken Media, Electronic Arts, Blizzard, and thatgamecompany. Something speaks more than diploma and autodidacticism. Its called experience.
I know I was over-simplifying. My point was that having a diploma - without experience - will get you the job but will tell oh so little about your actual qualifications...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I know I was over-simplifying. My point was that having a diploma - without experience - will get you the job but will tell oh so little about your actual qualifications...
Exactly. These degree toting graduates sometimes blame the school or government for not being able to get a job. -_- A degree only means you are certified to do something. The quality of that something is what a portfolio is for.