Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Myst series HD Remastered (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30515-myst-series-hd-remastered.html)

Gabe 02-21-2012 06:58 AM

Myst series HD Remastered

Do you think would be possible to re-release games like Riven,Myst3-4 with hd textures or is it too expensive work to undertake?

Monolith 02-21-2012 10:12 AM

Kickstarter. In related news, we are trying to get Journeyman Project 4 done or rerelease HD versions of Pegasus Prime, Buried and Legacy.

Gabe 02-21-2012 10:26 AM

I'm looking forward to it,but changing just textures doesnt cut i think(although satisfaying enough for fans),it blowsout if go all the way down and make them full 3d.

Monolith 02-21-2012 10:39 AM

Depending on how things pan out, the HD release will be complete rerenders of everything. Sure it will still be 2d, but it will no doubt be gorgeous in its 720/1080p glory. (If the first game was remade, I'm pretty sure the project team will choose Pegasus over Turbo)

inm8#2 02-21-2012 01:34 PM

This reminds me of George Lucas constantly "updating" the original Star Wars movies.

I don't need HD upgrades of old games. Playing those games reminds me of the era from which they came. I say let them exist as time capsules of those gaming eras. When you an HD upgrade of a 15 year old game, it essentially becomes a new game.

That said, I'm all for a new Journeyman Project game or other sequels to beloved franchises, provided they are done by the right people.

Fien 02-21-2012 01:39 PM

No remastering of Myst or any old game, no HD, no nothing.
No.

Monolith 02-21-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 601246)
That said, I'm all for a new Journeyman Project game or other sequels to beloved franchises, provided they are done by the right people.

Well does it really have to be by the right people when the goal is to make a direct rerender HD upgrade? There are plenty of HD rereleases that haven't changed anything but better textures/videos/sounds. Myst shouldn't be left out in that department either. Seriously, rerendering everything for 1080 isn't something that could destroy a game.

diego 02-21-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 601224)
Kickstarter. In related news, we are trying to get Journeyman Project 4 done or rerelease HD versions of Pegasus Prime, Buried and Legacy.

Wait, what? How.. why? :crazy:

Does it have something to do with this project?

smulan 02-21-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 601208)
Do you think would be possible to re-release games like Riven,Myst3-4 with hd textures or is it too expensive work to undertake?

Regarding Riven Cyan has answered the question already. It's not possible, due to many things, among them the hardware.

Gabe 02-21-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 601247)
No remastering of Myst or any old game, no HD, no nothing.
No.

What's with the attitude,everyone praised Monkey Island remakes no,not you?

Gabe 02-21-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smulan (Post 601260)
Regarding Riven Cyan has answered the question already. It's not possible, due to many things, among them the hardware.

When is that happened i dont remember but one thing i'm sure hardware limitations cant be an issue for this anymore.

inm8#2 02-21-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 601254)
Well does it really have to be by the right people when the goal is to make a direct rerender HD upgrade? There are plenty of HD rereleases that haven't changed anything but better textures/videos/sounds. Myst shouldn't be left out in that department either. Seriously, rerendering everything for 1080 isn't something that could destroy a game.

I was talking about the right people making a sequel to the Journeyman Project trilogy, not an HD upgrade of one of the existing games.

I concede that an HD upgrade won't destroy a game. I liked the Monkey Island upgrade, especially how they packaged the original game with it.

I just don't want to see a huge trend towards doing all these half-assed upgrades of old games. There's something charming about the pixelated graphics of GK1, for example. I'd hate for the original version of that game or other classics to disappear over time in favor of HD upgrades. If they did make an upgrade to GK1 and sold it with the original, even streamlined both versions like in the case of Monkey Island, that could be interesting.

Fien 02-21-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 601261)
What's with the attitude,everyone praised Monkey Island remakes no,not you?

No.

Attitude...? Pffffff. Just look in the mirror, sweetiepie.

Monolith 02-21-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 601256)
Wait, what? How.. why? :crazy:

Does it have something to do with this project?

lol, sadly no. TJPR or TJC was canceled...just wasn't announced.

Anyways, with recent talks with Michel, the HD rerelease won't happen for a LONG time. lol

Gabe 02-22-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 601264)
If they did make an upgrade to GK1 and sold it with the original, even streamlined both versions like in the case of Monkey Island, that could be interesting.

Most definately,how they did it the Myst remake some 12 years ago and Riven
just next on the line waiting and todays improved rendering extends the experience beyond it's vision.

TimovieMan 02-22-2012 08:52 AM

What's the point of this? Do they really think they'll bring a lot of new players into the genre? Did that happen with the Monkey Island Special Edition?

The only reason for a graphical update like this, is to please nostalgic fans of the original. I don't get it. Can't they just replay the original? So what if the graphics are dated? The game was made in the mid-90s, it should look like a game from the mid-90s.

The best thing about the Monkey Island Special Editions is the voice-overs, because Dominic Armato makes for such a great Guybrush Threepwood and Earl Boen for such a deliciously evil LeChuck. The graphical update was nice, but I pressed F10 VERY often to look at the original screens...

The same goes for movies. Instead of remaking old ones, I'd much prefer to see the old ones get more recognition. So what if it's black-and-white and the camera barely moves? Doesn't take away from the quality.

I prefer seeing time and energy put into making NEW and above all QUALITY games (and movies for that matter), instead of into rehashing old ones...

I hate remakes. Is it obvious? :D

Gabe 02-22-2012 09:38 AM

I think better if keep the topic on specific games expanding for movies and other mediums different subject.

JBS 02-22-2012 09:55 AM

Well i cant imagine how great a cel-shaded 3d Last Express would be.:9~

Fien 02-22-2012 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBS (Post 601366)
Well i cant imagine how great a cel-shaded 3d Last Express would be.:9~

Hold it right there! Noone touches The Last Express without my permission. :pan:

:shifty::shifty::shifty:

JBS 02-22-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 601369)
Hold it right there! Noone touches The Last Express without my permission. :pan:

:shifty::shifty::shifty:

Easy loverboy all classics gets remastered inevitably.:D