Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Which adventure games have you replayed the most times? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30476-adventure-games-have-you-replayed-most-times.html)

Oscar 02-13-2012 01:22 AM

Which adventure games have you replayed the most times?

When the game releases are slow around the end of the year and January I like to replay old games I've already finished. I know many people here have their favourite games which they like to play almost every year or even more frequently (hi Fien :D). Which ones have you replayed the most?

I'm not much of a replayer and prefer new games I haven't played before, but I think I've played each of the Monkey Island games 3 times, which makes them my most replayed games. I've also run through Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango twice. The Quest for Glory series is great for replaying as there are many pathways through the game.

Fien 02-13-2012 02:15 AM

Heh. Don't know how that rumor started. Should I thank Zobraks for that? Actually, I haven't played TLE in 18-20 months or so. Yes, it is the game I have replayed most. ;)

I replayed dozens of adventures once, like GK, Tex, Machinarium, Gemini Rue, Dreamfall, TLJ, Sanitarium, Lost Crown, Discworld Noir, Dark Fall, Rhiannon, Black Dahlia, Duckman, Ceremony of Innocence. But only a few twice: Bad Mojo, Riven, Obsidian, Neverhood, Pandora Directive.

EDIT: I forgot Zork Grand Inquisitor. Such fun! Played it at least 3 times, I didn't really keep count.

skeeter_93 02-13-2012 02:53 AM

I've probably played the Monkey Island games the most... but that'd only be 3 or 4 times... There's so many I want to replay but there's more I haven't even started yet.

Schneckchen ^.^ 02-13-2012 03:07 AM

I've played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis the most I think... especially cause for every time I play through it once, I theoretically play through it 3 times cause I always play it on all 3 paths lol.

zobraks 02-13-2012 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 600421)
I know many people here have their favourite games which they like to play almost every year or even more frequently (hi Fien :D).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 600423)
Heh. Don't know how that rumor started. Should I thank Zobraks for that?

Guilty as charged! ;( I keep going through the streets telling people you play TLE every single afternoon (around tea time) :P.
At least in my imagination you do so :).

On topic: I must have played Sam & Max Hit the Road six or seven times (and with a good reason too: even now I'm not sure I have tried every interaction possible and those have hilarious effects in 97,13% :D).
Bad Mojo and DotT have a tight race for the second place with 4 or 5 replays.

There are many more (tens of) AGs I have played twice (I usually enjoy them more the second time around). As a matter of fact, I'm just replaying my most favo(u)rite winter themed (specially good in February :9) game (I won't tell you which one it is :P, since I'm collecting screenshots like there's no tomorrow :crazy:) and its sequel (those two are actually one game IMHO).

P.S. I must have played TLJ (that's The Longest Journey, folks! :D) at least five times too (blame it on my daughter), but not recently.

Mikekelly 02-13-2012 04:03 AM

The record is "Hotel Dusk" which I've played three times. There quite a few - like Broken Sword DS that I've played twice. If you waiting a few years between plays replaying the good ones is a wonderful experience. Hotel Duck was my favorite adventure game released in 2007.

:D

KFMN 02-13-2012 05:20 AM

I've replayed Broken Sword 1&2 the most. Probably beat both at least 5 times.

Elena 02-13-2012 06:08 AM

I've played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis about 7-8 times.I wanted to get all the IQ points but i couldn't stand the fighting sequence. :frusty:
Hmm..Gabriel Knight about 6 times..
I've replayed Sam and Max:Hit the Road,Full Throttle,Under a Killing Moon,TLJ,Sherlock Holmes:Case of the serrated scalpel,Broken Sword 1 about 3-4 times.

colpet 02-13-2012 06:27 AM

Riven is the only game I've played 3 times. I have about 10 games I've played twice.

Jelena 02-13-2012 07:59 AM

URU Ages Beyond Myst is the one I've replayed several times. Then there are lots of other games I've played twice. Currently I'm replaying BASS. I haven't played it for years and have forgotten most of the puns. I still remember some puzzles though.

Kurufinwe 02-13-2012 08:10 AM

I love replaying games, just as I love rereading books, rewatching movies, etc. Going through the list of the 200-odd adventures I've played, there are only a handful which I've never replayed, and all of those were games that I first played in the last 5 or 6 years, so they will get replayed at some point.

The Quest for Glory games are probably those I've replayed most. At least a ten times each (apart from 5, which was released last, and was always a chore to get to work on certain computers), probably more. Actually, come to think of it, Indy FoA might even be higher, because 4 playthroughs for each of the three paths seems like a very low estimate to me.

Now, if we look at games that don't have multiple paths or character classes, it's probably a tie between Conquests of the Longbow and Dune, which I must have replayed about once every two or three years since they were released 20 years ago. I guess a great soundtrack and a great atmosphere are what I'm truly looking for in a game.

TimovieMan 02-13-2012 09:33 AM

I'm currently in the middle of a replaying spell (mostly a LucasArts replaying spell, but still). I generally don't replay games that much, but some LucasArts adventure games were so good I couldn't resist playing through them once more.

Adventure games I've replayed once:
- Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Loom
- Simon the Sorcerer
- Sam & Max Hit the Road
- The 7th Guest
- Phantasmagoria
- Flight of the Amazon Queen
- The Secret of Monkey Island (*)

* I'm replaying this at the moment, and I plan on replaying LeChuck's Revenge, The Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island as well. Since I've only played them once in the '90s, they now fall (or will fall soon) in this category.

Adventure games I've replayed twice:
- Day of the Tentacle
- Full Throttle
- Grim Fandango

Adventure games I've replayed three times:
- The Dig

Adventure games I've replayed approximately six-seven times:
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

And that's counting a playthrough of all three paths as just one single playthrough!

Technically I've replayed 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors five times as well (until I'd seen all the bad endings and the good ending), but I count that as only ONE playthrough as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zobraks
There are many more (tens of) AGs I have played twice (I usually enjoy them more the second time around). As a matter of fact, I'm just replaying my most favo(u)rite winter themed (specially good in February :-P) game (I won't tell you which one it is :-P, since I'm collecting screenshots like there's no tomorrow :crazy:) and its sequel (those two are actually one game IMHO).

Could you be talking about Syberia??? :D

Fantasysci5 02-13-2012 11:00 AM

I replay games where I loved the characters and story so much, that I want to know every little thing-understand conversations held in the beginning of the game that I might not have understood the first time through, etc.

I have played "The Longest Journey" at least 6 times, no joke. I've played "The Lost Crown" about 4 times, and only that small amount because I can't skip through the dialogue. :P

"Dark Fall", "Barrow Hill", and "Riven" I've also played a bunch. I could quote whole bits of dialogue from the games.

cbman 02-13-2012 12:00 PM

In terms of Adventure games i've only ever replayed the Myst series, start to finish. Other games I have replayed parts of them to get screenshots before uninstalling but Myst games are the only ones I have reinstalled and played all the way through again. I replayed most of Dark Fall: Lights Out and the Lost Crown, not in sequence, getting screenshots.

To me most AG's are boring to replay. You know the story already, there's no excitement at finding new locations, and your general inventory style puzzles can be tedious and repetitive enough the first time round. I sometimes think about replaying Syberia; that's one of the few games i think might be worth it. Sanitarium maybe too, as that is a bit more 'computer gamey' than most AGs.

If I ever want to rewatch a particular scene or just get a little of the atmosphere of a game again I can watch a playthrough on Youtube or the like.

But really, there's so many AGs I haven't played yet why spend my time replaying?

SamuelGordon 02-13-2012 12:48 PM

Man some hardcore adventure gamers here! Six times! Daaamn. I guess i'm the same but with rpgs so i understand it.

I share cbman's opinion, it loses its appeal after unraveling everything. Most adventure games i've played are only good for one playthrough and it's weird but sometimes i don't want to ruin the memories by replaying it. I can still remember the time and place when i played The Longest Journey and other games. It feels great thinking about it.

Anyways, the Monkey Island series (1-3) i i replay the most.

Jubilee 02-13-2012 12:56 PM

Probably Police Quest 1, I replayed this over and over when I was young :)

Fantasysci5 02-13-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelGordon (Post 600497)
it's weird but sometimes i don't want to ruin the memories by replaying it.

I don't mind the same stories, since I don't mind repetition. I like being able to know what's going to happen, so it doesn't bother me.

Your statement here really struck me, though. I've replayed games before (no specific titles come to mind at the moment) where it wasn't as "good" the first time. Of course, it's the same game, but my views have changed on the game. I might have been really excited the first time through, but it loses its shine the 2nd time through. Like I said, I can't think of an example, but I can see what you're saying. :)

mimisdutch 02-13-2012 01:07 PM

MI 2, The Dig and Myst 3.
I would check out The Dig again since I haven't played it for a long time.

zobraks 02-13-2012 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 600437)
... I'm just replaying my most favo(u)rite winter themed (specially good in february :9) game (i won't tell you which one it is :p , since i'm collecting screenshots like there's no tomorrow :crazy:) and its sequel (those two are actually one game imho).

Quote:

Originally Posted by timovieman (Post 600471)
could you be talking about syberia??? :d

Attachment 3217

inm8#2 02-13-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee (Post 600499)
Probably Police Quest 1, I replayed this over and over when I was young :)

Same here.

PQ 1: 7-8 times between VGA/EGA versions
GK1: 6-7 times
GK2: 6-7 times
Shivers series: 6-7 times

and many others 3-4 times (The Last Express, GK3, PQ3, KQ1, KQ6, etc.)