Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Possible reader/forum Top 100 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30473-possible-reader-forum-top-100-a.html)

Adventurere No.1 02-12-2012 08:08 AM

Possible reader/forum Top 100

I know we saw a great top 100 games of all time list, but the point is ,it was made by you guys (people) working on this (the one only great adventure page) which i dont know what we (adventure players) would have done without it ..

But i wish (as i also think that many AG's members) and looking for a top 100's list that is made by us the players and members here with all the differences of our tastes.
It can be a Poll A forum ...etc (i dont know but just a way to make the AG's members feel more positive to interact with workers, so at the end it gives them(the Members) a part(even if its small) at the decision making

i know it hard work and of course i have no idea how it can be possible but maybe you guys (if you are interseted 1st) would have an idea.

All recpect for any one who works on this Adventuregamers (Great) page.

Arial Type 02-12-2012 08:47 AM

I don't think that AG staff should be bothered by readers polls. I remember there was a rather complex and nicely done TOP-100 on the old Just Adventure forums. It was organised by forum members and took about several months to complete. Can't find the link now, and I'm not even sure if it survived the JA reconstruction, but it was a huge amount of work. If you have enough free time, why not try it yourself?

inm8#2 02-12-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 (Post 600338)
I know we saw a great top 100 games of all time list, but the point it is made by you guys (people) working on this one olny great adventure page which i dont know what we (adventure players) would have done without it ..

But i wish (as i also think that many AG's members) and looking for a top 100's list made by us the players from all different our tastes.

i know it hard work and of course i have no idea how it can be possible but maybe you guys (if you iare nterseted 1st) would have an idea.

All recpect for any one who works here on this great and ONLY Page

I did not understand any of this.

Adventurere No.1 02-12-2012 11:16 AM

@ inm8#2i , if not i guess u shouldnt bother :)

Oscar 02-12-2012 02:51 PM

Well, we can do it can't we? I don't see why the AG staff have to be involved :)

I think it's a good idea. Personally I'd make it shorter, maybe top 20 or 50. You'd have to make a poll at some stage and 100 is just too many.

Datadog 02-12-2012 07:16 PM

I imagine it'd be cool to have a Top 100 list as voted for by the community, as it could be similar to IMDB's highest-rated list. But that's a LOT of games to vote for, and AG doesn't have a user rating system. How did JA organize a poll like this?

Adventurere No.1 02-13-2012 04:43 AM

i think it should start with a forum where every one post his fav game until we collect the number maybe more than 100 and afterwards we can do sumthin like upon a poll upon these sudgestions even if if would be only a top 10 or 15 or whtever matters and takes.... time is the key but AG's workers must help us to make this list happen for more interaction

Shnubble 02-13-2012 06:13 AM

First let me say you are free to do whatever you want. And I should probably just shut up if I'm not interested. On the other hand the motivation for this new list seems to be to make a "better" or more democratic list than the staff did.
I bet you'd have a hard time to find someone here who fully agrees to their Top100. That's the nature of the beast. We can bitch, we can moan and we can express our opinions in the comments and threads. And so we (you) did. That's part of the fun. Some made their own smaller list. Plus there are top20 threads and so forth. So what I'm saying is: I'm not interested to see yet another list. The aggies are coming up and people will focus on that.

Now here comes the (kinda) helpful part:
I, too, think 100 is way to much and you will invest a lot of work that nobody will really care about. Your last poll had a meager 40 participants. (It was interesting, though, since it was a new question.)
Let's say you'll find 100 voters who are willing to work through 100 games.
That's still far too few people to be anywhere near relevant. Find 10 people who love Worstadventureofalltime and it will score pretty high. Even when it comes to good adventures, people have vastly different tastes, as shown by the top20 of the top100. Who really cares in what exact order they are ranked. (K, quite a few people, apparently.)
In my head I scratched Portal from that list. ( And decided to play Last Express.)
I don't need a new list for that or to see Monkey Island a few steps higher.

And in the end, some will complain. (I'm already complaining now but that's partly because I don't like rankings very much. ;) )
And then? Do another list?

Arial Type 02-13-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datadog (Post 600406)
How did JA organize a poll like this?

I'm not sure, it was a long time ago, and I was never a JA resident... I recall that they divided games by year and/or by genre, voted for each category, than combined the results and voted again. There must be someone on the AG forums who remembers it or has a link to that poll.

rtrooney 02-13-2012 08:47 AM

Seeing as the average number of "Top 100" games played by those members who responded was under 50%, it's hard to see how a member-based rating would have much statistical relevance.

TimovieMan 02-13-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrooney (Post 600465)
Seeing as the average number of "Top 100" games played by those members who responded was under 50%, it's hard to see how a member-based rating would have much statistical relevance.

^ This.

Average games that everybody played would rank higher than superb games that only a handful of people played.

I prefer a small crew who's played hundreds and hundreds of different games to compose the list. Wait, that's already what we got!!! :D

Adventurere No.1 02-13-2012 10:06 AM

i will say one word or two :) democracy , interaction ...i am just a player and a member here who for example thinks Riven is the best thing that ever happend and Book of unwritten tales (on the other hand) took more than it deserves,... why? why becuz of its long anticipation and its propaganda and i cant deny its being well crafted .. but to get my point i d rather play woodruff and the schnibble or even king quest's as the recpect they the mind of the player!....thats all ..i think developers NEEDS our Help to make good games, instead of caring only about the market and the sales

Shnubble 02-13-2012 12:11 PM

I think I can somewhat follow from what you wrote some time ago but I don't see the connection to yet another list.
You seem to be quite confident that said list would be more to your liking e.g. no BOUT and Woodruff, Riven and KQ at the top. (Thus helping the "right" developers? Help them how exactly? Do you think even the official list provided more than a little ego boost for developers, if they even heard about it and cared? First place, now that's something. Number 84? Not so much.)
Might be. But chances are you'd be unpleasantly surprised.
Difficulty is but ONE aspect of an adventure game. While you value it highly others might prefer different aspects. People like Gabe would take part in such a survey, too, surely and he seems to have quite the strong opinion 'bout BOUT. (Hint: I suspect he likes it.) Heck, even I would sooner replay BOUT than Riven if I absolutely had to compare them. And I rather wouldn't because it makes little sense to me. Riven is without doubt quite close to perfection in its niche, I can respect that, and I had fun with it. But in the end it's not my kind of game.
Myst I'd add grudgingly for its historical relevance. Of which BOUT has none, so it might indeed not be in my list at all. It all depends on the criteria. Myst in, BOUT out. BOUT in, Myst out. And better don't ask me about ranking them.

So what I'm saying is: If you want to hear the voice of adventure players all over the world or even just users on this site: They'll speak with many voices (opinions) and you won't reach nearly enough of them to draw relevant conclusions in the first place. On top of that you'll better be prepared to accept an unexpected outcome or be prepared to rig the poll to your liking. ;)
You can do it just for fun, of course, but it's getting old in my opinion and right now the timing is really bad because of the Aggies. But then here I go again and apparently like to talk about it. ;)

Perhaps you could look for like minded people and try to think about something you could do specifically for the kind of adventures you like.
That would be a more predictable route if that's your goal and a better way to invest your energy.

Also:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrooney (Post 600465)

Jackal 02-14-2012 07:49 AM

I don't see anything like this happening. It's not so much the amount of work required as the logistics of creating such a list. Easy enough to come up with a list of 100 names; almost impossible to determine an actual order. Without some kind of complex statistical weighting scale, it would just end up being a popularity contest.

The other major reservation for me is that a list like that is pretty much outdated the moment it's finished. We plan to update the staff list at the end of each year. I'm not signing on to do the same for readers every year. :P

But yeah, by all means, I'd love to see someone start something here on the forums. It'd be fun to watch take shape.

Adventurere No.1 02-14-2012 10:34 AM

Jackel ,i say lets start with everyone (who want to participate) to mention 10 games (of his/her) of all time...
sure with the differences between all the readers age and the years of playing adventures , there will be a some huge conflicts; which i guess would be cool at the end, as for example an adventurer since the early 80's would choose King Quest's , 90's would choose the longest journey , 2000 might choose syberia's and so on ..there will be other coflilects nevertheless like 1st person fans and 3rd person's ... BUT at the end it will lead to a good reason and fair one though enough i guess.

The point i think we can start by everyone post 10 games (i repeat myself) without any order and we can see which games haved been repeated the most in alll of the lists .. then we can make a poll depends on that, from the less repeated (say 10 choices for each poll) to the most repeated .

of course this should/must take a looong while until we make sure that most of the reader/members had participated ...And.. there we go ..
one more thing ought to use the facebook page through this quest as FB has many cool interaction tools as (iLike) questions polls as (For Ex.) we can vote on a game by counting how many like it gets ....etc

i can start to post my 10 games now but rather wait until (maybe) we can reach some kind of brain-storming interaction here, that can set up ALL the rules for this list issue.

that was my start, anyone else?

dekaneas297 02-14-2012 02:20 PM

Just no

rtrooney 02-14-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekaneas297 (Post 600645)
Just no

^
Ditto

Adventurere No.1 02-14-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtrooney (Post 600650)
^
Ditto

Bravo

Datadog 02-14-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Easy enough to come up with a list of 100 names; almost impossible to determine an actual order. Without some kind of complex statistical weighting scale, it would just end up being a popularity contest.
I'm in agreement. If everyone posts their own lists, someone's going to have to average them out, and these lists are all going to contain mostly the popular games. Then a bunch of people will call "King's Quest 6" and "Grim Fandango" over-rated, a bunch of arguments over "Portal" and "Myst" will break out, and someone will complain about how no one plays Japanese games. It'll be a mess.

But if anyone starts, I'll join in. Could be a fun mess.

Oscar 02-14-2012 04:57 PM

It might be easier if we make a thread about what games people think should have been on the top 100. Then add those games to the AGers top 100 and post the full list in a new thread for people to number them 1-100. Add up the numbers at the end and presto, you have a reader's top 100.

Datadog 02-14-2012 09:50 PM

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Doing a "Next 100 Games" as opposed to recycling the same list we just saw. Of course, we'd probably see an influx of overlooked Sierra titles, but adding to the Top 100 already sounds a lot more fun.

Adventurere No.1 02-15-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 600654)
It might be easier if we make a thread about what games people think should have been on the top 100. top 100.

There is a related thread for this subject already
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...ad.php?t=30314

but anyways i guess this wont lead us anyway as this possible reader's Top 100 will surely have many games of those mentioned in AG's: Top 100s Adventures of ALL Time