Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   How much would you pledge to fund a new Tex Murphy game? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30468-how-much-would-you-pledge-fund-new-tex-murphy-game.html)

harald 02-12-2012 07:11 AM

Tex Murphy is the one game franchise I'd really like to see revived, so I'd be willing to donate whatever is needed. :D Seriously though, I voted $100 because that what I could put down without a doubt. If there were some very interesting rewards, then who knows. (In comparison, I put $30 into Double Fine's Kickstarter. I really couldn't justify $100 just to get a poster.)

Fien 02-12-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudini (Post 600300)
So i noticed some people and confusing Kickstart with a donation project, which it is not. It is much more like a pre-order with bonuses according with the amount of money you give.

Hm. IMO it's not like a pre-order at all, because you won't get your money back if the game doesn't materialize for one reason or another. That makes it an investment, which can go wrong. And if you look at the rewards, it's also in part a donation. For instance, one hundred dollars for a 15 dollar game and a poster.

I am backing six kickstarter projects, four of them games. A text adventure, an audio adventure (no graphics), Cognition and of course Double Fine. One of the non-game projects didn't deliver the goods to all the backers. Some received the product, some didn't. Money down the drain. Then there's the text adventure... I didn't think twice about supporting this guy, who is well-known in the IF world. Trusted him completely. I suppose he will probably deliver something in the end, if I live that long. But he's doing lots of other stuff and kind of lost interest in the project, which is now 14 months old. In the last update he said he had 53 puzzles planned and when he'd completed five, he'd have some idea when the game might be released. That was two months ago...

So, two failures out of six projects. Four still in progress.

zane 02-12-2012 09:57 AM

yeah, you have to donate to these things realizing youre supporting the idea, the product might not succeed and if it doesnt you still supported the concept.
But it makes it easier to have confidence in double fine when they already put out a bunch of games. Plus i see the documentary as added accountability, they have to keep up with it and get things done.

Monolith 02-12-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 600318)
I'll pledge 0$. Oh, wait, that's not an option... :frown:

I haven't played any of the Tex Murphy games (yet, but they're on the list), but even if a new game would get made, I'd still want to wait until some reviews surface before I'd consider buying it. Plus it's been 14 years since the last one...

The same goes for the new Double Fine adventure.
Don't get me wrong: I'm thrilled that so many people are giving Tim Schafer money for his new game, but I'm not too keen on pre-ordering something of which I haven't got the slightest idea whether it'll be any good or not.

Doing this with a developer I know and trust, and who's been churning out good games until recently, then yes, definitely (cfr. LucasArts in the '90s), but if it's been a good while, then I'm not really all that confident in their ability anymore, and I'd prefer to wait it out.
If the reviews then turn out to be good, then I'm definitely willing to pay top dollar for the game. Just not in advance...

This adds to the reason why adventure games died. People like you don't trust new ideas from new people. That being said, new ideas usually come from fresh minds, despite how much of a genius a person may be. A fresh mind is always needed and they usually are ignored in the industry. THerefore they become indie developers or work for a very niche market like Adventure gaming.

People think this is weird or retarded but guess what? This is the life of people who fund other people's projects based on the idea. Additional reasons why I feel that the bashing of Kickstarted from so many people was unwarranted.

TimovieMan 02-13-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 600361)
This adds to the reason why adventure games died. People like you don't trust new ideas from new people. That being said, new ideas usually come from fresh minds, despite how much of a genius a person may be. A fresh mind is always needed and they usually are ignored in the industry. THerefore they become indie developers or work for a very niche market like Adventure gaming.

People think this is weird or retarded but guess what? This is the life of people who fund other people's projects based on the idea. Additional reasons why I feel that the bashing of Kickstarted from so many people was unwarranted.

Please. Blame a guy who kept buying and playing adventure games even when they lost the interest of the mainstream gamers for "killing the genre". The ignorance!

If it's really because of "people like me" - who don't want to pay in advance if they don't know they'll even like the end product - that the adventure scene died, then how come there's a resurgence of adventure games these last couple of years?

Those "people like me" that you're so happy to scold might not pay in advance or support kickstart projects (maybe because they aren't made of money and have families of their own to support), but they'll happily pay for quality games that get released.
It's not because "people like me" prefer to wait for reviews, that we won't buy games that are considered "good". Heck, for adventure games, I'll even settle for "average" because I like the genre too much.

Just because I prefer not to waste money on tripe, and don't like to give money in advance to people I don't fully trust, doesn't mean I'm responsible for the lack of interest the mainstream gaming community has for adventures.

Besides, if a developer stands up that delivers consistently, then I'll gladly support his next project. Back in the '90s, LucasArts had only to mention an upcoming game and I was already anticipating its release date. That only stopped when George Lucas decided to focus solely on Star Wars, and I deemed no other developer good enough to blindly trust since.

It doesn't mean that I haven't bought any adventure games since then, or stopped supporting the genre. Blaming me for "killing the genre" is just plain ignorant. Especially since it didn't die. Heck, this forum alone is proof that the adventure scene is very much alive...

And I'm "not liking new ideas from new people"? Get off your high horse, dude. Just because I'll await the release and the first reviews doesn't mean I won't support the new developers if they make something that interests me. I've bought more indie games (even outside the adventure genre) these last few years than I have bought big budget titles.

And explain to me how "not pledging to Kickstarter projects" equals "bashing Kickstarter". It's a great thing that projects can get funded with Kickstarter, and I love seeing the utter demolition of Tim Schafer's project goal. That said, if a Kickstarter fundraiser would get started for a new Tex Murphy game, then I'll hope it reaches its goal. I still wouldn't pledge, though.
I'd simply rather buy it AFTER it's released and IF the initial reviews aren't horrible...

Fien 02-13-2012 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 600435)
I'd simply rather buy it AFTER it's released and IF the initial reviews aren't horrible...

Good for you. ;) Tim Schafer/DF (and Aaron/Chris) will be pleased to have a couple of fans left who did NOT support the kickstarter project, so they can make a profit. Seriously. The hype is great to watch, I was very excited at first, but now I hope people will stop donating after the second million.

And everybody knows you didn't kill the adventure genre, that was Myst :D

Just kidding, just kidding... I've got to be careful or people will believe I really blame Myst. :devil:

Hudini 02-13-2012 07:34 AM

Why would you hope people stop giving money after 2 million ?

The more this project is able to raise the more attention and more developers, underdogs and otherwise will consider this type of system.

Let's cut the middle-man ! No more EA and like minded publishers stepping on creativity and passion !

TimovieMan 02-13-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudini (Post 600456)
Why would you hope people stop giving money after 2 million ?

The more this project is able to raise the more attention and more developers, underdogs and otherwise will consider this type of system.

Let's cut the middle-man ! No more EA and like minded publishers stepping on creativity and passion !

It will be hard for any developer who's not Tim Schafer to accomplish a similar feat on Kickstarter. Well, apart from Jane Jensen, that is.

All others won't be nearly as successful.

It would indeed be good that people stop donating after 2 million. If Schafer envisioned 400K as "enough" to make the game, then he can go wild with 2 million. But the more people that DON'T fund the Kickstarter, the more people will be left to actually BUY it when it's out.
That way the money goes to Double Fine to be used on future projects instead of this one.

At least that's what I got out of Fiens post. :D

Monolith 02-13-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 600435)
Please. Blame a guy who kept buying and playing adventure games even when they lost the interest of the mainstream gamers for "killing the genre". The ignorance!

If it's really because of "people like me" - who don't want to pay in advance if they don't know they'll even like the end product - that the adventure scene died, then how come there's a resurgence of adventure games these last couple of years?

Those "people like me" that you're so happy to scold might not pay in advance or support kickstart projects (maybe because they aren't made of money and have families of their own to support), but they'll happily pay for quality games that get released.
It's not because "people like me" prefer to wait for reviews, that we won't buy games that are considered "good". Heck, for adventure games, I'll even settle for "average" because I like the genre too much.

Just because I prefer not to waste money on tripe, and don't like to give money in advance to people I don't fully trust, doesn't mean I'm responsible for the lack of interest the mainstream gaming community has for adventures.

Besides, if a developer stands up that delivers consistently, then I'll gladly support his next project. Back in the '90s, LucasArts had only to mention an upcoming game and I was already anticipating its release date. That only stopped when George Lucas decided to focus solely on Star Wars, and I deemed no other developer good enough to blindly trust since.

It doesn't mean that I haven't bought any adventure games since then, or stopped supporting the genre. Blaming me for "killing the genre" is just plain ignorant. Especially since it didn't die. Heck, this forum alone is proof that the adventure scene is very much alive...

And I'm "not liking new ideas from new people"? Get off your high horse, dude. Just because I'll await the release and the first reviews doesn't mean I won't support the new developers if they make something that interests me. I've bought more indie games (even outside the adventure genre) these last few years than I have bought big budget titles.

And explain to me how "not pledging to Kickstarter projects" equals "bashing Kickstarter". It's a great thing that projects can get funded with Kickstarter, and I love seeing the utter demolition of Tim Schafer's project goal. That said, if a Kickstarter fundraiser would get started for a new Tex Murphy game, then I'll hope it reaches its goal. I still wouldn't pledge, though.

The whole thing, you missed the point. People like you are mere consumers, not the people that fund projects. You took it like you were hung out to bleed but you don't see that if that is your opinion, then you are just a friggin Consumer. Not ignorance, just fact.

I explained that people fund projects out of spite of just seeing the idea on paper. Those are the people that get people to actually make games without going through years of unpaid private work.

Kickstarter isn't your thing. The job and love of financing projects isn't your thing. That is the point. People like you as I said are the ones that bash Kickstarter for being pointless and stupid, and ignore the fact that its a better way of reaching those that fund projects without doing much work except supplying a great presentation.

TimovieMan 02-13-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 600482)
The whole thing, you missed the point. People like you are mere consumers, not the people that fund projects. You took it like you were hung out to bleed but you don't see that if that is your opinion, then you are just a friggin Consumer. Not ignorance, just fact.

Yes, I'm just a consumer. Minus the friggin'.

If there weren't any consumers, no products would be made, otherwise what would be the point?

Seems to me that you're hanging ALL consumers out to bleed. Guess I was right to take your post personal since you aggrevated your statements this time around...

Quote:

Kickstarter isn't your thing. The job and love of financing projects isn't your thing. That is the point. People like you as I said are the ones that bash Kickstarter for being pointless and stupid, and ignore the fact that its a better way of reaching those that fund projects without doing much work except supplying a great presentation.
Where did I ever bash Kickstarter for being pointless and stupid? Kickstarter is a GREAT thing, and the more indie developers get funding, the better off we all will be. The good ideas last and make their way through to the bigger projects, enhancing quality all around.

I merely stated that I don't have enough money to spare to gamble (because it often IS a gamble) on things that *might* get made, so I prefer to wait until the product is actually made.

Because financing projects isn't my thing, you seem to assume that I oppose all forms of funding. How ignorant is that?
What? Buying the product when it's made isn't funding the production of the next one? It's not showing the developer that he made a product worth buying? It's not supporting the scene?

cbman 02-13-2012 11:49 AM

You never included an option for 'nothing', which is what I would choose.

Monolith 02-13-2012 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 600485)
Yes, I'm just a consumer. Minus the friggin'.

If there weren't any consumers, no products would be made, otherwise what would be the point?

Seems to me that you're hanging ALL consumers out to bleed. Guess I was right to take your post personal since you aggrevated your statements this time around...

Where did I ever bash Kickstarter for being pointless and stupid? Kickstarter is a GREAT thing, and the more indie developers get funding, the better off we all will be. The good ideas last and make their way through to the bigger projects, enhancing quality all around.

I merely stated that I don't have enough money to spare to gamble (because it often IS a gamble) on things that *might* get made, so I prefer to wait until the product is actually made.

Because financing projects isn't my thing, you seem to assume that I oppose all forms of funding. How ignorant is that?
What? Buying the product when it's made isn't funding the production of the next one? It's not showing the developer that he made a product worth buying? It's not supporting the scene?

Again, my point was that it is designed for those that fund projects which is majority of the way projects start out. Consumers buy the product, but people that fund the projects are the real reasons why projects get made. You can't buy a project unless it gets funded. That is the point, and you seem to avoid accepting the point. This is a kickstarter/preproduction thingy. You can't make an opinion on it unless it is made and sold. Your position is void if you are taking the position of the consumer and not a financier. Kickstarter isn't made for those that only make an opinion based on the final product.

I'm not hanging anyone out to bleed, i'm just pointing out that your position of a consumer makes you the wrong person to make an opinion on such a subject since you are in the business of judging a game on its final product and not what it could be based on an idea or by general techniques used by professionals who fund games/films/etc.

The assault on Kickstarter wasn't you, but if you look at any article based on Kickstarter, people are hating on it.

TimovieMan 02-13-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 600507)
You can't make an opinion on it unless it is made and sold. Your position is void if you are taking the position of the consumer and not a financier. Kickstarter isn't made for those that only make an opinion based on the final product.

I'm not hanging anyone out to bleed, i'm just pointing out that your position of a consumer makes you the wrong person to make an opinion on such a subject since you are in the business of judging a game on its final product and not what it could be based on an idea or by general techniques used by professionals who fund games/films/etc.

It's not because I'm a consumer that I could never be a financier. The other way around too: financiers are also consumers. Don't go telling people they can't have an opinion on something just because they don't fit your overly narrow criteria for it.

You want my opinion as something OTHER than a consumer? Fine. Then here's my position as a financier: I haven't seen nearly enough of what it can be to even consider going for my wallet, had there been money to spare in there.
If Tim Schafer doesn't yet know what's he going to make, and I'm asked to fund it, then even if I could I wouldn't since the maker himself doesn't even know what it's going to be.
The same goes for this hypothetical thread about a new Tex Murphy game. No story, no direction, no concept art, no nothing. That's not funding something that could be huge. That's giving money based on a single name, whether that name be Tim Schafer or Tex Murphy. That's not enough.

If Tim Schafer would knock on every professional financers door and pitch "I want to make a point-and-click adventure game. I don't know what it'll be yet, but I want to make a documentary to capture every moment of its forming.", then he's going to get the door slammed in his face.

I'm THRILLED that he's getting more than all the budget he needs for his project, and I look forward to what he can accomplish with it (because the talent is still there and anything Schafer will definitely be hilarious at the very least). And I'd likewise be thrilled if another Tex Murphy game would get made using the same means.
It's just that, without a concrete story or at the very least a well formed idea (the details can always be filled in later), there's nothing to fund.

In these particular cases, we're not talking about REAL financiers, we're talking about FANS...

ADan 02-13-2012 03:48 PM

I'd like to express my support with TimovieMan on this issue down to the last bit of his reasoning.

His arguments are even worded and well thought out, succinct and logically compelling.

I don't see how one cannot accept his train of thought as *one* valid and very reasoned position towards crowd sourcing.

I didn't feel the need to aggravate the argument on part of Monolith at all, especially because TimovieMan was so level-headed and reasonable in his arguments.

I explicitly support the position that the phenomenon we saw with the new Tim (freaking) Schafer project is not as much one of a group of financiers hoping to get a (however natured) return on their investment but a bunch of fans who hope to see a game made that will evoke similar emotions they knew from former games by Schafer before - one that takes them back to (subjectively) better and less troubled times in their lives.
(Which is by the way - and Timovieman has explicitly said so - in no way a bad thing but simply not everybody's thing).

(The whole subject of escapism in relation to AGs as a whole would lead too far for now, at least concerning this thread... Maybe another time...)

GreyFuss 03-15-2012 02:19 PM

Bring it on Chris...Tax refund time coming soon. I am willing to give $100 to the effort. More if the game and/or other goodies are included.

I donated zero to Double Fines Kickstarter only because I didn't like their other games and have no interest in their new effort...but Tex? YEE_HAA!

Idrisguitar 03-16-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyFuss (Post 603801)
Bring it on Chris...Tax refund time coming soon. I am willing to give $100 to the effort. More if the game and/or other goodies are included.

I donated zero to Double Fines Kickstarter only because I didn't like their other games and have no interest in their new effort...but Tex? YEE_HAA!

forget double fine though. but a 2d point and click adventure lead by tim and ron? that wasn't interesting to you?

im not judging or anything, just interested. but that alone made me jump on board.
chris and tex will also make me do the same :)

also its a good discussion on the whole "no idea yet "worry. but for me, in other creative industries, people back minds and creators over concepts very often, especially creative talents with a following and a history of making great things.

why should the gaming industry be different if these good people want to give their money to designers they have faith in. music and authors especially are backed blindly and out of past success from publishers and labels, film directors are also similar in some cases (tarantino, jackson, scorcesse).

tim schafer is one of the most respected names in game design. and appreciation has to go to the fact he has no idea by design, and not because he has been struggling to think something up. he is trying to show everyone how he does his thing. another big bonus for me personally.

millenia 03-16-2012 07:20 AM

I am just a lowly student so I chose 15-19$ which is what I gave to DoubleFine too. Might be able to go over 20$, especially if there's something little extra there ;) but can't really throw my money around so much.

If I was in a well paid job I'd definitely go over 100$ for gems like this.

veruncheek 03-16-2012 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ascovel (Post 600299)
The way Last Express ended seemed to set up a potential sequel/prequel. I remember Mechner had some kind of script for it, but I think he decided it wasn't really that good after a while.

Actually, Jordan Mechner got a script (edit: I mean movie script) for The Last Express even at the time of game's release. He and Tomi Pierce wrote it. (source: http://questzone.ru/articles/10.php) The script you mentioned is TLE prequel, which Jordan abandoned (it can be found on his website). Although I am not in the least informed about current state of screenplay or any kind of sequel or upgrade, I am sure Jordan will go back to The Last Express in some way, as this game is close to his heart (I am using his words here). Film adaptation has the biggest chances. Of course, I would love to see a sequel, because it was all intended as series of Robert Cath's adventures... EDIT: Jordan Mechner just announced TLE will be available later this year for iPad and iPhone: http://jordanmechner.com/blog/2012/03/tle-ios/

As for Tex Murphy, I would put in 15 bucks. I would love to see another detective story.

plumgas 03-18-2012 03:30 AM

with all these people willing to donate I only hope there are some people left to actually buy the game.

Bloody_Eugene 03-19-2012 08:38 AM

Big news arriving?

AN URGENT MESSAGE from "ChrisJones", administrator of the forum of The Unofficial Tex Murphy website (it's maybe the most important website for Tex Murphy) - presumibly speaking for Chris Jones himself :

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with your computer monitor. Do not attempt to refresh the page.

We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper.

We control your computer monitor - but you control the fate of the Tex Murphy franchise.

Tune in to the Unofficial Tex Murphy website on Tuesday, March 20 to receive further instruction.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled internet browsing.

Chris Jones acquired the rights for Tex Murphy back in the 2009.
Is his franchise ready for Kickstarter???? I think yes!!!!
We'll know tomorrow!!!!