You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Double Fine looking for help funding new adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #161
Schattenjäger

Welllll, im not hearing "longer" in that video, just "better", which could really mean anything. But i do hope so.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I don't see the relevance to my post. We're probably talking at cross-purposes.
Maybe I partly misunderstood you. I presume you meant then with "Everybody knows publishers don't want to fund adventure games anymore" that Schafer wasn't raising a particularly original point?
I think the adventure game part of the equation raised people's interest even further. Money wouldn't have come in as fast if we were talking about a sequel to Iron Brigade, would it?

A lot of elements made this story enticing:
  • The participation of:
    • Tim Schafer
    • Double Fine
    • Ron Gilbert
  • Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert working together as a dream team!
  • An adventure game designed by two masters of the genre and developed by a beloved studio with a cracking track record!

So, I think the adventure bit is important. Surely people don't just want any adventure game, but they want one of the standards that Tim Schafer proved to be capable of designing. People certainly expect great things from the fathers of the point & click adventure genre.

Last edited by ozzie; 02-15-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #163

Quote:
No, I don't think he said the production of the game would take longer, but that's just common sense.
The updated FAQ confirms it will take longer:
Q: When can I expect the game to be finished?

A: We were aiming to finish in October of 2012, but in light of the increased budget we're planning to expand production to ensure we make the best game possible.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 02-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #164
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
Welllll, im not hearing "longer" in that video, just "better", which could really mean anything. But i do hope so.
You're right, I listened again and the word "longer" is not there. I got that from the giantbomb interview.

At the DF forum the administrator wrote: Original dates were based on original funding. When Tim and everyone finalize everything, they’ll post an update on the kickstarter page.

Ozzie
Quote:
Maybe I partly misunderstood you.
It used to be a mystery to me why time and time again people misunderstand me when I feel I've been crystal clear, but I've come to accept the unpleasant truth that my posts aren't crystal clear at all. Helas... I don't know how to put it better, or I would.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Well, Tim Schafer said "yes" on Twitter to this question:
"Do you guys think that if we pledge enough money, the game could one day be ported to XBLA?"
Where did he say that? I've been following his twitter closely and saw no such promise.

Because they literally can't put it on XBLA without having a publisher attached. MS doesn't allow it. This is also why Psychonauts got yanked off of Games on Demand when Double Fine regained the rights from Majesco. Releasing on XBLA is a huge expense with a lot of red tape and BS, and it's frankly just not worth it in this case. I don't think they could even if they wanted to.
Quote:
No, I don't think he said the production of the game would take longer, but that's just common sense.
They did say this, check the updated FAQ. They also told me directly in a PM when I asked if they were going to extend the dev cycle.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Bullshit...and the post below yours proves otherwise. So MS are "notoriously difficult" to deal with? That's why after releasing Costume Quest in Oct 2010 and then Stacking in Feb 2011 on both XBLA AND PSN Double Fine went on to make their next THREE GAMES exclusively for xbox? Did you even think before making your post or did you think being an idiot fanboy actually made sense and no one would challenge the stupidity of the comment?
Hello, overly aggressive dickhead,

Many, many developers have discussed how difficult it is to work with Microsoft as an independent developer. Here is a breakdown of digital platforms and the ease of dealing with their proprietors according to various developers:

This is a well-known problem.

To quote Tim Schafer:
Quote:
But it seems that this year, the idea didn’t explode like it should have. Back when Castle Crashers came out, it seemed it was going to grow and grow. I just wish there was more support, more marketing, more placement on the dashboard. It could have been our own little Sundance Film festival, a great sandbox for indie development.

“But the indie community is now moving elsewhere; we’re figuring out how to fund and distribute games ourselves, and we’re getting more control over them. Those systems as great as they are, they’re still closed. You have to jump through a lot of hoops, even for important stuff like patching and supporting your game. Those are things we really want to do, but we can’t do it on these systems. I mean, it costs $40,000 to put up a patch – we can’t afford that! Open systems like Steam, that allow us to set our own prices, that’s where it’s at, and doing it completely alone like Minecraft. That’s where people are going.
Furthermore, as I mentioned earlier, MS litereally does not allow any game outside of the indie section to be published without a publisher attached. Which would kind of defeat the whole point of this this independent-funding thing, don't you think?

To quote Lorne Lanning, creator of Oddworld speaking on this very issue:
Quote:
xBLA does require a publisher, which is a testament to how backward MS is. Imagine iTunes requiring a record label to handle any artists songs? I hope double fine does not carve out revenue to a publisher that brought zero value to this entire effort. Ridiculous requirement, but thats what MS insists, and that's why we will continue to see less of MS in the future. Developers going straight to their audience is the future, with the money going straight into the product, not into publishing CEOs personal jets. The future is here, MS is missing it, long live the future.

Requiring publishers to back a product is far from insuring quality control. MS Live turned down Strangers Wrath HD... And just check the meteoritic reviews per quality. It's all about old entrenched ideals that they hold that are outdated. PSN has been great, Steam is great, MS is constipated with yesterday thinking. The more power developers have in connecting directly to their audience, the happier the audience is going to be with the games that come out.
So kindly shut the fuck up, or at least don't act like an asshole if you don't know what you're talking about. Just because a developer works with a company does not mean that they are easy to deal with or that working with them doesn't create additional expenses.

Last edited by Frogacuda; 02-18-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #167

Er'body simma down naahhhh.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
Where did he say that? I've been following his twitter closely and saw no such promise.
Here ya go: http://twitter.com/#!/TimOfLegend/st...65960005136384
Of course, this isn't a promise or anything, it's just confirming a possibility.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #169

I like XBLA as much as the next guy, I'd just rather not see Double Fine stretch themselves too thin on that kind of thing and take away from things like art and animation. Not to mention the aforementioned issue about having to have a publisher involved to do it. A lot of people are attracted to this project specifically because it's publisher-independent, and that would undermine that.

Maybe if it sells well after the fact and they want to port it then.

I think I might be most excited to play it on Android actually. This week I played Space Quest IV, Full Throttle, and Day of the Tentacle on my phone in SCUMMVM and it was a blast.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #170

Psychonauts was taken down from XBL just like Doom was taken the Doom games were taken down from it when Bethesda acquired ID Software. Its not hard working with Microsoft at all. Developers just need to talk to them instead of complain.

Doom was rereleased on XBL (you don't have to repurchase if you bought it before). The right holders just need to reinstate it.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 02-19-2012, 10:27 AM   #171
fov
Rattenmonster

[puts on mod hat]

Let's agree to disagree on the Microsoft issue (and not get pissy with each other in the process). Only people who have worked first hand with Microsoft can really say how difficult it is or how it compares to other services, anyone else is speculating. (And arguing back and forth about it here isn't going to change which platforms Double Fine's game ends up on. )

[/mod hat]
Old 02-21-2012, 05:07 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Psychonauts was taken down from XBL just like Doom was taken the Doom games were taken down from it when Bethesda acquired ID Software. Its not hard working with Microsoft at all. Developers just need to talk to them instead of complain.

Doom was rereleased on XBL (you don't have to repurchase if you bought it before). The right holders just need to reinstate it.
Oh, but of course... We should listen to you, a guy who's never worked with Microsoft before, and not Tim Schafer, a guy who's had a working relationship with them for years....
Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Oh, but of course... We should listen to you, a guy who's never worked with Microsoft before, and not Tim Schafer, a guy who's had a working relationship with them for years....
I have worked with Microsoft before. Indirectly, but still the devs didn't have a problem with them. You've heard of the game Shank before right?

Old 02-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
I have worked with Microsoft before. Indirectly, but still the devs didn't have a problem with them. You've heard of the game Shank before right?
I've heard of the game, yes. But the game was published by EA... The problems indie devs have with M$ is the fact that they cannot publish a game on XBLA ( not the indie section, the main one ) unless they have a publisher. And how is $40 000 for a patch justified ?!? I call that a robbery. That's exactly what makes platforms like Steam indie devs friendly.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
I've heard of the game, yes. But the game was published by EA... The problems indie devs have with M$ is the fact that they cannot publish a game on XBLA ( not the indie section, the main one ) unless they have a publisher. And how is $40 000 for a patch justified ?!? I call that a robbery. That's exactly what makes platforms like Steam indie devs friendly.
Well yeah, I understand that. I read the new article about the XBL exodus. *sigh* and I thought it was BS working with PSN.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #176

Everyone watched the full 35 minutes of Ron Gilbert's Words of Wisdom to Tim Schafer?

Looks like both Tim and Ron want the game to be 2D. Ron's up for a shorter, more "focused" experience. Very interesting conversation in regards to adventure game design.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Everyone watched the full 35 minutes of Ron Gilbert's Words of Wisdom to Tim Schafer?

Looks like both Tim and Ron want the game to be 2D. Ron's up for a shorter, more "focused" experience. Very interesting conversation in regards to adventure game design.
Note that during the talk about the engine section it mentions that this video was recorded back when they were thinking of making a game with a 300k budget.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #178
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

As far as the game size is concerned, here's what Tim had to say in the latest update email.
Quote:
Many of you have been asking if this means we’ll be taking a bit more time with the production, and the answer is yes. This is not a cute, quick little game anymore. This is the real deal. This is a capital-G Game.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 AM   #179
Schattenjäger

I hope the game remains 2D (high quality 2D).
And, hooray, theyr making boxed copies now too!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #180
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
I hope the game remains 2D (high quality 2D).
And, hooray, theyr making boxed copies now too!
That's good news! I like me some boxed games. I'm still not sure though whether I should back it though or not (I mean, I'd love to, it's just that at this point it may just be better for them for me to buy the retail thing instead of back now - and the main point that I'm lazy and might not bother going through the mighty hassle of registering and so forth )