You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Double Fine looking for help funding new adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #121
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudini View Post
They were being conservative because they had no idea if this would work, if enough people were willing to give cash before the game was made.
If that's true (big IF), they took a big risk. Suppose they would have reached the goal but not much more, then they would have been obliged to produce something subpar. Or maybe that Notch guy who apparently got stinking rich with some minecraft game would finance the rest. Come to think of it, why couldn't he finance the whole thing anyway?

Quote:
They will make an announcement this week i am sure.
About what? I think it would be wiser to wait 30 days.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #122

This whole thing is indeed remarkable. Clearly, the final result will exceed 2 Million Dollars by far.

I firmly believe that this success is completely unreproducible for 99,9% of the tens of thousands of development people who're now considering to do the same thing. What we're seeing here is an overwhelming public vote for Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert to make a new adventure game.

Having said that, I'm going to pledge as well. Strangely enough, I'm at least as much excited about the documentary as about the game itself -- but that's just me.

In any case, this is money well spent.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 02-12-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #123
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Monkey Island 1 ('90) - $135K. No voices!
DOTT ('93) - $300K. Plus voices added later.
Full Throttle ('95) - 1.5M
Grim Fandango ('98) - 3M

And those were dollars from a different era. Inflation and all that. Makes me wonder what they had in mind when they set the goal at 270K.
Considering they've only given themselves seven months to finish the game, I think in terms of length and scope, what they have in mind is probably more along the lines of Costume Quest or Stacking than Grim Fandango.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
I firmly believe that this success is completely unreproducable for 99,9% of the tens of thousands of development people who're now considering to do the same thing. What we're seeing here is an overwhelming public vote for Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert to make a new adventure game.
Totally agree, and frankly I feel bad for whoever tries it next without realizing this.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #124

Quote:
If that's true (big IF), they took a big risk. Suppose they would have reached the goal but not much more, then they would have been obliged to produce something subpar.
Now you might be understanding why they have a documentary as well. In the pitch video they definitely say "If this goes badly, at least it's all caught on camera."
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #125
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
I don't know why you think they've done any groundwork. They're claiming they don't even know what the game is about yet (although guys like Tim and Rom surely have notebooks full of unused adventure game ideas they could never get made). $400,000 would have been a very small game with almost no voiceover. I'm glad the concept has expanded well beyond that, and that they've left the door open to develop a concept that suits the budget.

They're probably feeling a lot of pressure now to make a really good game out of what they probably considered a small side project.
I don't know why you think they HAVEN'T done any groundwork.

Do you think Tim Schafer would start this up without a single clue on what he'd like to make, and already pinning an october release on it?

Quote:
HUH???

First of all, let me repeat that it's not 400. Minus $100k for the documentary, 9 or 10 percent for Kickstarter and Amazon Payments, which leaves 270K. Peanuts when you consider the production costs of their previous LucasArts adventures.

Monkey Island 1 ('90) - $135K. No voices!
DOTT ('93) - $300K. Plus voices added later.
Full Throttle ('95) - 1.5M
Grim Fandango ('98) - 3M

And those were dollars from a different era. Inflation and all that. Makes me wonder what they had in mind when they set the goal at 270K.
Those LucasArts games were made in a time when those games were the biggest things out there. Adventure games aren't like that any more. They're made by much smaller teams than in the '90s, which also makes them cheaper.

Besides, Tim Schafer has been around for long enough to be able to predict the budget he'll need. I don't think he planned on overshooting the target by THAT much. My guess is that he really only needed 400K (or 270K if you count only the net game budget).
Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #126
Filmfreak

Quote:
Of course now it looks like they're on target to his 2 million, which is still not a lot of money, but probably enough to make something of a similar length and scope to a lot of the old Lucas games. As long as people don't expect something terribly cinematic.
FYI, Full Throttle was short, and Loom was VERY short.

My guess is this'll be of a Full Throttle-ish length.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I don't know why you think they HAVEN'T done any groundwork.

Do you think Tim Schafer would start this up without a single clue on what he'd like to make, and already pinning an october release on it?
I didn't say I necessarily believe that, but that IS the claim they're making. In the FAQs, the second question says "What is the game going to be about." and they Answer says something to effect of "We have no idea, we haven't decided yet."
Quote:
My guess is this'll be of a Full Throttle-ish length.
Although, interestingly, Full Throttle has a lot more sets and backgrounds than much longer games like DOTT, but it's just not a very dense game. They budget is more likely to limit the SIZE of the game than the length, if that makes sense.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #128

My main concern here is that they're going 2D, but they don't really have a staff of 2D animators, and it just might not be an efficient way to go. When LucasArts went to high end 2D with CoMI, they hired all these professional film animators. Double Fine's not going to do that.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #129

Quote:
My main concern here is that they're going 2D, but they don't really have a staff of 2D animators, and it just might not be an efficient way to go. When LucasArts went to high end 2D with CoMI, they hired all these professional film animators. Double Fine's not going to do that.
Hard to say. Look at Daedalic. They produce better 2d work than most if not all of the LucasArts adventures.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 02-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #130

Because they have 2D animators on staff. Double Fine doesn't. That's what I'm saying.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Considering they've only given themselves seven months to finish the game, I think in terms of length and scope, what they have in mind is probably more along the lines of Costume Quest or Stacking than Grim Fandango.
I'm guessing that Double Fine are going to reconsider all previous scope and schedule considerations in the light of this budgeting result. They didn't (and couldn't) know where this was going.

Last edited by Martin Gantefoehr; 02-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #132

Quote:
Because they have 2D animators on staff. Double Fine doesn't. That's what I'm saying.
Well that can be debated. Traditionally in order for you to reach the level detail for 3d you usually are a pretty good 2d artist.

Whereas if you are a 2d artist, doesn't mean you are a pretty good 3d artist. I've seen the artwork from DF, they are gorgeous! (Example this? Practically every adventure game. Any time someone moves to 3d, the 3d looks horrible.)

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 02-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #133

I hope they do reconsider, but it doesn't seem like it when I keep in mind what they were promising for the extra money. More budget for music and voice acting is all well and good, but I would rather like too see the investment go into a bigger scope of the final game!
We'll see...
Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #134

They said the schedule is not set in stone, there is some flexibility.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #135
Schattenjäger

i would expect it to probably be a 5-10 hour game.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I hope they do reconsider, but it doesn't seem like it when I keep in mind what they were promising for the extra money. More budget for music and voice acting is all well and good, but I would rather like too see the investment go into a bigger scope of the final game!
We'll see...
The funding now exceeds the initial goal by 4 times, and counting. If those additional 1.2 Million dollars all went into porting and localising the game, I'd be very surprised.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #137

Me too, but I'm still a bit anxious about it...
Old 02-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Well that can be debated. Traditionally in order for you to reach the level detail for 3d you usually are a pretty good 2d artist.
I don't think you're appreciating the difference between trained 2D animators and people that know how to make 2D art. It's about efficiency and speed, not ability.

You can't just take a bunch of painters and stick them in a room and have them crank out animation at the same speed (i.e. LOW COST) as animators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
We'll see...
I think we're all going to be glad if they make this game fully voiced instead of just key scenes. Full talkie has been the standard since Day of the Tentacle, and it's an important thing that they SHOULD spend money on.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #139
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Those LucasArts games were made in a time when those games were the biggest things out there. Adventure games aren't like that any more. They're made by much smaller teams than in the '90s, which also makes them cheaper.
Shrug. Teams may be more efficient in 2012, but salaries haven't gone down and good voiceacting doesn't come cheap. Not in the nineties, not now.

Quote:
It's a possibility I wouldn't rule out.
You haven't read the FAQ.

FAQ
Q: What happens if you go over the goal?
A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This could result in anything from increased VO and music budgets to additional release platforms for the game.

Q: What will the game be?
A: Other than that it will be an old school adventure, we're not sure. That's the beauty of it! Everything will unfold in front of the cameras with help from you!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #140
Schattenjäger

Definitely a big chunk of the extra money will be towards bringing the game to other platforms like xbox and apple, that stuff is expensive. It also helps getting the game into more languages. And hopefully the general quality of the game will just be better.