You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Double Fine looking for help funding new adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #61

$50k away from 1M...

One more thing guys... They will obviously go WAY above the initial budget that they wanted to raise... You don't think they're gonna use all the money on the game, do you? Because they'll probably raise AT LEAST $2M .... They'll probably put some of the cash aside so that they can fund some of their future projects OR a sequel to the AG that they're about to start developing
Old 02-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #62
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
When looking at a business model, spending $1 to make $1 isn't a good plan. The idea is to spend 50c to make $1. With the 'fund the entire project and give away your product' approach, you run the risk of not actually making any money.
Thats debunked by the fact theyr cutting the publisher out. Aaand, theyr not making physical copies. So their wages are already paid at this point, assuming this will be a relatively small staff. Also, its not as if theyr starting up a company. Theyr already an established software developer.

Last edited by zane; 02-09-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #63
Dreamfall Soon!

I'm guessing there is going to be an awful lot of "Special Thanks" in the credits.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 PM   #64
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
$50k away from 1M...

One more thing guys... They will obviously go WAY above the initial budget that they wanted to raise... You don't think they're gonna use all the money on the game, do you? Because they'll probably raise AT LEAST $2M .... They'll probably put some of the cash aside so that they can fund some of their future projects OR a sequel to the AG that they're about to start developing
Yes...that is why I pledged $100. I want them to get lots and lots of money so that this will result in 3 or more really good projects. That's my hope.

Edit: I just saw this in the Q & A,

Quote:
Q: What happens if you go over the goal?

A: The extra money will be put back into the game and documentary. This could result in anything from increased VO and music budgets to additional release platforms for the game.
I'm not sure this applies if they decimate the goal though.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #65
Run hard, run fast!

Default The Credits are going to be murder...

The only down side I can see to this is that the credits will require a 24 pack to get through. As of this moment 2729 supporters will be getting their name in the credits...

Still going to play the out of it but will need the aforementioned 24 pack for the end.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #66
Schattenjäger

lol yeah iv been thinking about the credits and i think theyl have to either give you the option to skip that section of the credits, or make it part of a collage of some sort.
Also... when all is said and done they'll have 30+ thousand beta testers. That will be somthing.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #67

Well, I hope the credits will be sped up a notch when it comes to the "Thanks to" part! And maybe the font size should be tiny...

Also, the Double Fine team will have to sign a lot of posters...
Old 02-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #68
More slaw!!!

They can't really keep any extra money aside for other projects, as that would be dishonest and against how the idea of kickstarter works. All the money pledged for this project is pledged... for this project.

As said on the page, the more money the more opportunities they have for different formats, extra features (voice, etc).

Anyway, however many millions this get's to, it's going to be a AAA quality adventure game which I think is brilliant; and we have to remember that anyone that wants it that hasn't pledged money by the time the date goal is reached is going to have to become a customer after the game is finished and buy it then... so there are plenty of opportunities for them to make more money and more great adventure games.

A bit over this obsessive Tim Schafer fanboyism though.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur View Post
They can't really keep any extra money aside for other projects, as that would be dishonest and against how the idea of kickstarter works. All the money pledged for this project is pledged... for this project
I disagree.. If they raise $3.5M for example they won't spend them all on this one game simply because AG are not that expensive to develop. If they were as expensive to make as the AAA RPG's or the AAA shooters the AG as a genre would've become extinct a long time ago..
Old 02-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #70
In an evening of July...

They'll make it episodic.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
I disagree.. If they raise $3.5M for example they won't spend them all on this one game simply because AG are not that expensive to develop. If they were as expensive to make as the AAA RPG's or the AAA shooters the AG as a genre would've become extinct a long time ago..
LA Noire was rather expensive, I would say...
...and while I didn't contribute, I would feel shafted if they didn't spend all the money on this game, even if they would spend the rest on Psychonauts 2.
But maybe the contributors could make a vote about it? We'll see...
Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #72
The Quiet One

Not far from 1M now - it's currently at $986,831 with 25,633 backers! It's jumped up by about $6k since I looked a few minutes ago!

Anyway, that's a good point about Double Fine not making much of a profit if they're giving away that many copies. The fan funding should be $15+ and the game should be about the same too. I'd be happy to pay for the game as well when it's released! Maybe they predicted that the target would be exceeded? Either way, this is still an awesome way for indie developers to make the games they want.

I'd love to be added to the Special Thanks part of the credits, but I can't really afford that privilege.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #73
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
They'll make it episodic.
im not ruling it out entirely, but i doubt it. Theyv already thought this out, presumably this is the game idea ron gilbert has had for 20 years. If they had an inkling towards it being episodic theyd already have that on the table.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
LA Noire was rather expensive, I would say...
...and while I didn't contribute, I would feel shafted if they didn't spend all the money on this game, even if they would spend the rest on Psychonauts 2.
But maybe the contributors could make a vote about it? We'll see...
First of all I don't consider LA Noire an adventure game.. It's more like an action adventure detective game.. Second of all it's a real time 3D sort of an open world game with a lot of exploration that took several years to develop. It also had a HUGE publisher behind it
Old 02-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #75

I was also going to comment. They won't set it aside; that wouldn't go over well, and as mentioned, not how Kickstarter is supposed to work. They will most likely use it for various/drastic improvements to the initial design of the game. The more money the raise, the better the game will be. Fine by me. This is a chance for a Rob Gilbert/Tim Schaefer Original, I'd love to see it end up the best it possibly could.

Also, I don't think this project is about making money at all.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #76
Schattenjäger

lol, did going over one million break the site?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #77
The Quiet One

Looks that way

EDIT: Now $1,001,988!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #78

This is just too good...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #79
fov
Rattenmonster

Wow. What happened today is insane.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #80

I certainly hope they're recording the office's reaction for that documentary. Ah, to be a fly on Double Fine's wall today...

For that matter, would this be considered enough to make TWO Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert games?