You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Double Fine looking for help funding new adventure game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #41

Sorry dude-its been one of those days. But you caught my drift. That's why its dangerous to rely on crowd sourced presales for your entire budget (Im assuming its the full budget, for the large amount and small timeframe).

Sure getting donations for something like music, voice overs, etc. isn't a bad thing. But covering your entire budget with presales is a very VERY risky move.

But at least they know they are going to be eating for 8 months-something not many indies can say!

And if their budget continues to grow, they may be tempted to spend on unessential things - things that aren't going to increase sales, because the financing is there,and they are almost 'obliged' to use it.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #42
The Quiet One

This is awesome! I can't wait to see the results. Already they've surpassed their target and are now up to $600,000+! It'll be interesting to see how much it is in 33 days...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #43

Kickstarter just tweeted that this project has broken records for most funds raised in 24 hours and highest number of backers. Most funds raised in 24 hours? It's only been ~15. That's amazing.

Unsurprisingly, people seem to want adventure games from talented developers.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #44
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
this is the first time iv bought a game without knowing the title yet
Love this quote. Same here.

Do you want Jane Jensen to make more amazing adventure games like Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter? Then PLEASE support her new studio Pinkerton Road on KickStarter!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #45

I really want to contribute to this but am a little hesitant b/c I've spent a decent amount on games recently (Cognition kickstarter, indie bundles, etc.).

If they don't close the funding early I should be able to donate in a couple of weeks.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-09-2012, 09:49 AM   #46
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Sorry dude-its been one of those days. But you caught my drift. That's why its dangerous to rely on crowd sourced presales for your entire budget (Im assuming its the full budget, for the large amount and small timeframe).
But why? Their time and efforts are already paid for (more than, even, as I'm told here). All sales on top of that is basically free money, no? Or am I just dumb and tired.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #47

No kuze, you're right.
With Pyke's logic we would be taking money from Double Fine, not giving them.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
Run hard, run fast!

Default Free money? Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
But why? Their time and efforts are already paid for (more than, even, as I'm told here). All sales on top of that is basically free money, no? Or am I just dumb and tired.
You're not dumb, but maybe tired. You got to remember that anytime you pay these awesome guys 15+ dollars you get a product in return. Better to think of this as an extreme paid pre-order. If they don't get enough "pre-orders" then they can't make the product, If they get just enough they break even and if they get more then that they make a good profit (but still have to shell out more of their product).

Peace,
Nathan

Last edited by Nathan Cooper; 02-09-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #49
Life and times of...

It's at $777,775

(Edit): Well, it was only something like 20 minutes, and it already went up $20000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
If we are to believe Twitter and Tim Schafer's responses to the guy, it's someone from Sweden.
If I understood correctly, this is also Markus "Notch" Persson. So, he must really like Double Fine

Last edited by UPtimist; 02-09-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #50
Game Creator Hobbyist

…and now they're already well past their goal doubled. (Imagine the pressure - and encouragement - to make something amazing!)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #51
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Cooper View Post
You're not dumb, but maybe tired. You got to remember that anytime you pay these awesome guys 15+ dollars you get a product in return. Better to think of this as an extreme paid pre-order. If they don't get enough "pre-orders" then they can't make the product, If they get just enough they break even and if they get more then that they make a good profit (but still have to shell out more of their product).

Peace,
Nathan
But "breaking even" basically means that they got paid. They did not lose any money, their time was paid for (I'm repeating myself here). If they can't raise enough money within a time limit, the project is aborted, and the only money lost is the money they spent on early designs and advertising.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:56 AM   #52

Quote:
But "breaking even" basically means that they got paid. They did not lose any money, their time was paid for (I'm repeating myself here). If they can't raise enough money within a time limit, the project is aborted, and the only money lost is the money they spent on early designs and advertising.
I'm with you. I don't really see how this is dangerous and risky.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #53

the line from the video "adventure games exist in our dreams...memories... and in germany" convinced me to contribute 100 bucks. tim cracks me up.
greets from germany
Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #54

Quote:

Sure getting donations for something like music, voice overs, etc. isn't a bad thing. But covering your entire budget with presales is a very VERY risky move.

But at least they know they are going to be eating for 8 months-something not many indies can say!

And if their budget continues to grow, they may be tempted to spend on unessential things - things that aren't going to increase sales, because the financing is there,and they are almost 'obliged' to use it.
Hey Pyke, feel like it's been forever since I've seen you on. Hope things are well. I was curious what you'd think of it.

Isn't this different from presale? Presale seems less concrete, and the funding has already been accounted for. Here, they either get the funding by the deadline (pledges), or the project dies. Right now they have 20K+ people pledging their commitment and will see all of that money on March 13th when everyone is charged. Also, it's mainly discouraged and seems like a hassle to back-out of the commitment. I don't know, I personally would love to see more of this happen, and if developers were more OPEN with deadlines, procedures, and things necessary to "investors", I would do more of this type of thing.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #55
Psychonaut

$850k and climbing.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #56
Lovable rogue

I just saw this on Twitter and pledged ÂŁ10 ($15). I've never participated in crowd sourcing before, I feel like such a philanthropist!

I was just watching a video on Gamespot the other day, about how the rising production cost of games is stifling creativity and risk taking, and causing publishers to churn out nothing but drab sequels, so it feels really good to be able to give something to help an independent developer, especially when it's two talented people who I respect and admire.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 02-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #57

Geoff Keighly tweeted earlier that Tim Schafer and Al Lowe filmed an episode of The Bonus Round today which will be available next week here. I imagine they're talking about this and other Adventure Game goodness.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #58

When looking at a business model, spending $1 to make $1 isn't a good plan. The idea is to spend 50c to make $1. With the 'fund the entire project and give away your product' approach, you run the risk of not actually making any money.

Essentially what I'm saying is that, when the project is finished, they will be 'giving away' 23 000 copies of the game. Now I know that it's a double edged sword, because without giving away those 23 000 copies of the game, it would not exist-but that is going to hit the bottom line when the project is just getting off the ground.

That said, With this project, as it's popularity has grown since I last posted (it really it quite amazing!), I have no doubt that this will blow any projections out the water-so my point is has pretty much been made redundant.

Personally I can't wait to see what these guys come up with! And I think that kick starter is an absolutely incredible platform that's really allowing developers to take their vision into their own hands-something I am extremely passionate about!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #59
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I also can't say I'm interested in the film documentary and disliked the way it was portrayed as a kind of gift for us audiences, rather than more publicity for them at our expense.
Seeing as the videos are for the people who pledged (in other words, people who already bought the game), it's not much of a publicity stunt. Sort of like preaching to the choir. Sure, the videos will undoubtedly be leaked, and yes, it's ultimately done in the name of selling a game, but all the best marketing vehicles are win-win. Trailer, demos, everything. It's not like they're trying to dupe us. They give us what we want, we give them what they want.

Frankly, I got more out of the Kickstarter video alone than I have out of some entire adventure games.

Quote:
This really is a fantastic yardstick for the popularity of Adventure Games.
Not to be a downer, but let's be realistic. This is NOT a gauge of the genre's popularity per se. It's a gauge of how popular a new Tim Schafer adventure is. Those are hugely different things.

On the plus side, a lot of publishers are dumb, so they may see the response and make the same mistake.

Quote:
I actually agree with you, but just to clear the confusion, I think the argument is based on the whole "Selling Game X funds your next Game Y" model. In that case, yes, they're free and clear for the duration of this game, but if all they ever sell are the Kickstarter preorders (which of course they won't, making all of this moot), then they're right back where they started 8 months from now when the game is done: out of money for their next project.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #60
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I actually agree with you, but just to clear the confusion, I think the argument is based on the whole "Selling Game X funds your next Game Y" model. In that case, yes, they're free and clear for the duration of this game, but if all they ever sell are the Kickstarter preorders (which of course they won't, making all of this moot), then they're right back where they started 8 months from now when the game is done: out of money for their next project.
Ah, now I got it, thanks for the clarification.