You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Monkey Island Finally goes on to Hollywood!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default Monkey Island Finally goes on to Hollywood!

After Pirates of the Caribbean Rip Off for the game ,I Now hear news about Really Making an animation Monkey Island movie .

i read about some bit and pieces here and there ...but still!

please if anyone here has more Ideas about this Project; Confirmation,Releasing Date, or even an opinion about it , post it here .
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Life and times of...

Could be great, could be a fiasco. Would depend a lot on who they get (they need to have at least some of the original people involved), how true they stay to the originals etc.

But I'm rather sceptical about this until I see something very concrete...

Also, anything to show that this isn't just hearsay? An article or something?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

I'll never judge a film until I see its concept and teaser/trailer. I'm always down for film adaptations.

Hopefully this turns out well, especially being animated.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Filmfreak

I've always treated the first Pirates of the Caribbean film as an unofficial Monkey Island film.

Heck, me and my best friend were singing "a pirate I was meant to be, trim the sails and roam the sea" all the way to the cinema back in 2003. You didn't want to count all the "Arrrr"s that were uttered that day (Geoffrey Rush actually says it once in the film, too! ).

I doubt an animated Monkey Island film would be very successful, though. A lot of (ignorant) people would be screaming "Jack Sparrow rip off!!!"...

But if it does get made? Bring it on!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post

I doubt an animated Monkey Island film would be very successful, though. A lot of (ignorant) people would be screaming "Jack Sparrow rip off!!!"...

But if it does get made? Bring it on!
Well Tintin did a good job.....actually I'm hoping this would be done by the same studio since they would do the style justice.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #6

I hope I'm completely wrong here, I really do but...I think your info is a bit outdated. Several years back there were plans to make an animated CoMI film but the project was cancelled.

Still it's great stuff to fantasize about.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

No link.
No news.
No source.

This thread is just an unfounded rumor.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM   #8

yeah there has been indeed Monkey Island film planned, and i think it's sort of a known fact that Pirates of the Caribbean movies "stepped" instead of it. Intersection of two franchises is further confirmed because "On Stranger Tides" is what Ron Gilbert described as one of his main influences. Here's what he said about PotC film

Here's collection of some concept arts for the planned movie, Steve Purcell himself confirmed that rumors on his blog.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #9

I've been wanting a Monkey Island movie for years, but I don't think that will ever come to fruition. I'm still waiting for the Broken Sword movie too.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #10
handsome

So a consciously campy game series inspired by many movies and that jokes with tons of gaming\movies' tropes is being made into a movie? Well, at least it isn't as nonsensical as the unavoidable Uncharted flick.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
So a consciously campy game series inspired by many movies and that jokes with tons of gaming\movies' tropes is being made into a movie? Well, at least it isn't as nonsensical as the unavoidable Uncharted flick.
I'd love to see an Uncharted film....but Uncharted was the game version of Indiana Jones. :/ Actually come to think of it, they should stop making Indiana Jones films after the last one and focus on something like Uncharted. Modern Treasure Hunting epics.

The thing is, Monkey Island may be full of tropes but the thing is, they did something so unique with it, it stands on its own.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #12
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Modern Treasure Hunting epics.
Come on, do we really need more of those? It's such a 80s-90s thing, when regular folks didn't have the interwebs to leave their cities; the last Indiana did well at the box office because it rode the choo choo nostalgia train, big time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
The thing is, Monkey Island may be full of tropes but the thing is, they did something so unique with it, it stands on its own.
Gaming-wise maybe, since most of the fun was reading Guybrush's dialog options and his descriptions of every minutiae. It's kinda like Watchmen: it loses way too much outside it's specific medium.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
Helooooo Bessie!

Send a message via MSN to dave_minall

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
No link.
No news.
No source.

This thread is just an unfounded rumor.
A Google search confirms this - nothing showing anywhere lately, whether it's news or reported on a site.

What a waste of my time.
Pirate: A beard?!?
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Advie.1

http://kotaku.com/5581442/i-pitched-...e-to-hollywood

http://benwerd.com/blog/2012/01/22/die-hollywood-die/

Nuthin confirmed , just crossing my fingers

but as they made Tomb Raider and Resident Evil which if compared to MI are nuthing ,they will !! i guess,, the only problem i see is after Pirates of the Caribbean Rip Off it will be difficult to get production for MI as you all know it should get a very great production to make it shine ... and one thing i dont know how George Lucas did not sew the maker of Pirates of the Caribbean !!??... but we will have to hope and cross our fingers soo tight.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
and one thing i dont know how George Lucas did not sew the maker of Pirates of the Caribbean !!??... but we will have to hope and cross our fingers soo tight.
How could he? The film is based on an attraction at Disneyworld. One that's been copyrighted since years and years BEFORE Monkey Island even saw the light of day.
If he'd sued, he'd lose... And Lucas doesn't do that...
Old 02-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #16
Helooooo Bessie!

Send a message via MSN to dave_minall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
http://kotaku.com/5581442/i-pitched-...e-to-hollywood

http://benwerd.com/blog/2012/01/22/die-hollywood-die/

Nuthin confirmed , just crossing my fingers

but as they made Tomb Raider and Resident Evil which if compared to MI are nuthing ,they will !! i guess,, the only problem i see is after Pirates of the Caribbean Rip Off it will be difficult to get production for MI as you all know it should get a very great production to make it shine ... and one thing i dont know how George Lucas did not sew the maker of Pirates of the Caribbean !!??... but we will have to hope and cross our fingers soo tight.

It won't happen - the first article was written well over a year ago. This is old news and shouldn't be in here getting people's hopes up.
Pirate: A beard?!?