You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 2011 Aggie Awards big letdown!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Schättenjager

Default 2011 Aggie Awards big letdown!

Can you believe that,The Book of Unwritten Tales not nominated for best setting and best graphic design features?But instead there are games like BTTF and Ghost Trick unbelievable!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Can you believe that,The Book of Unwritten Tales not nominated for best setting and best graphic design features?But instead there are games like BTTF and Ghost Trick unbelievable!

I didn't play the game so I can't comment on the setting but from the videos and screenshots i've seen of it the graphic design looks pretty mundane. Certainly nothing that leaps out.

Adventure Gamers is good for not stifling the genre by having too narrow a definition of it.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I didn't play the game so I can't comment on the setting but from the videos and screenshots i've seen of it the graphic design looks pretty mundane.

Mundane eh,dont make unnecessary comments without even bother to play the game.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

@Gabe Even assuming the game indeed deserved those nominations more than some of the actually nominated ones (and I do agree it looks great), is that sufficient reason to call the whole Awards a "big letdown"?

Last edited by Ascovel; 02-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
@Gabe Even assuming the game indeed deserved those nomination more than some of the actually nominated ones (and I do agree it looks great), is that sufficient reason to call the whole Awards a "big letdown"?
Actually it's others not even close enough only real contender is LA Noire.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Hopeful skeptic

Maybe if you valued other people's opinions at all instead of only your own, you wouldn't feel so disappointed.

Anyway, reader poll is now up, so we'll find out what everyone else thinks now.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #7

a telltale game nominated for anything to do with graphics design is a joke so i am already not interested.

* my opinion of course *
Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Hopeful skeptic

Huh? None of them were. Presumably you mean BTTF for Best Setting, but setting is much different than merely graphics.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #9

I agree that it sucks Unwritten wasn't nominated, but I absolutely can't say the Aggie's is a let down.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 02-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
3rd person fanatic :)

Black Mirror III Is my choice to almost any of those points. To The Moon is also great!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Maybe if you valued other people's opinions at all instead of only your own, you wouldn't feel so disappointed.
Valuing other people's opinions quite debatable when they ignore incredible amount of work.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 AM   #12

I dont think its that the aggies are a let down, I rekon its more to do with the games that are coming out and the fact that adventure games dont come close to competing with the speed that other genres are pumped out IMHO if more adventures were released then the aggies would be better SIMPLES lol x
Old 02-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #13

I haven't played all the games nominated that I'd like to (Stacking, L.A. Noire, To the Moon) so I can't complain about their inclusion or exclusion from certain categories but I did play both Portal 2 and Ghost Trick. So in the Best Character section for Portal 2 both GLaDOS and Wheatley were nominated, which I totally agree because they were hilarious and just thinking about them makes me want to replay the game. However, for Ghost Trick only Sissel was nominated. I really think Missile should have been included as well because you can control him in the game and he is just so awesome and positive.

Even the mainstream gaming sites nominated Missile for Best New character.

http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2011...ex.html?page=6

http://www.destructoid.com/best-of-2...s-218007.phtml
Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Valuing other people's opinions quite debatable when they ignore incredible amount of work.
What an utterly absurd statement. An incredible amount of work went into every game on the list. You just wanted us to "ignore" the ones you don't agree with.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #15
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
You just wanted us to "ignore" the ones you don't agree with.
I dont think so,you could extend your list for better outcome.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #16
Filmfreak

All this complaining...

The only thing in the Aggie nominations I don't agree with is the omission of To the Moon for Best Music. That's it.

The Aggies are just fine the way they are...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
Failed Birthday Elf

To be honest, I think that things like the Aggies and the recent top 100 should outrage people to a certain degree.

There is a wide range of opinion on this site about what defines adventure games and opinion of specific games. There is probably no-one else on this whole site who I completely agree with on any of these points (including you wonderful staff people!), and many people who I completely disagree with. I expect most people are in the same boat.

Ultimately I have to recognise that it is not "my" top 100 and not "my" award ceremony so it would be frankly extraordinary if it reflected my own views and tastes.

Personally I don't see either the top 100 or the aggie nominations as a let down, even if I personally seriously disagree with them (and I certainly do on at least some areas).

After all people here don't want to see my top 100 or my award ceremony, but what the official site thinks and (for my money) more impartantly what the reader's poll shows.

I won't agree with all of it and I am already outraged that Gabriel Knight wasn't no. 1 in the top 100! but in a good way and I am not disappointed with the results of the actual site top 100 or the aggie nominations.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
Senior *female* member

I have played only 5,5 games of the 67 ones on the AG list, and I would find it very hard to put those 5 or 6 in 17 categories. I'm not going to try.

How many games have others played?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #19
Hopeful skeptic

Fien, if you're referring to the reader poll, there's a "no answer" selection for each question. You don't need to nominate a game for every category, just the ones you feel are deserving.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
I changed my title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
How many games have others played?
This was a slow year for me. From the list I've only played 2.5 games: Blackwell Deception, Puzzle Agent 2, and a bit of Edna & Harvey. I've also watched a playthrough of Portal 2 if that counts.

I'm disappointed Blackwell Deception didn't get nominated for Best Character (either Joey Mallone or even Jamie) and for Best Voice Acting. But I guess that's what the Reader's Choice is for.

I'm also slightly annoyed at the double nominations of characters from Portal 2 and Book of Unwritten Tales. It just seems unfair somehow (and I adored both GlaDos and Wheatley, I just feel like there should be a choice of only one).