Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   7th Guest & 11th Hour coming soon on GOG!!! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30433-7th-guest-11th-hour-coming-soon-gog.html)

Lupin The Third 02-04-2012 12:13 AM

7th Guest & 11th Hour coming soon on GOG!!!

It's 2am where I live and I'm fading fast but I had to share the news!

http://www.gog.com/en/news/trilobyte...g_com_partners

Definitely downloading [edit: not] tomorrow morning! Awesome news!

Schneckchen ^.^ 02-04-2012 12:43 AM

They're not out yet but "soon".

Fien 02-04-2012 12:55 AM

They're already available at Dotemu.com. :)

I have very bad memories of that virtually unwinnable puzzle with the green and blue blobs (bacteria?) in the 7th Guest, but I'd like to replay the 11th Hour.

Monolith 02-04-2012 01:44 AM

Cool, I might finally get a chance to check them out. :D

Oscar 02-04-2012 03:29 AM

7th Guest - scariest game ever. Maybe I shouldn't have played it when I was 10.

TimovieMan 02-04-2012 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 599635)
7th Guest - scariest game ever. Maybe I shouldn't have played it when I was 10.

Stauf's voice CAN send chills down your spine... especially when playing in the dark... and even more so if you're young... :D

Lupin The Third 02-04-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ (Post 599614)
They're not out yet but "soon".

wow....I really was out.of it last nigh! I am le fail.:crazy:

Also had no idea they were on dotemu. Sincerest apologies for being the suck....:pan:

Monolith 02-04-2012 11:46 AM

"It's 2am where I live and I'm fading fast but I had to share the news!"

I was drunk last night during my last post. So don't feel bad. :P

Anyways, while I wait for this, i'll just have to go play Thief Gold.

Lupin The Third 02-04-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 599667)
"It's 2am where I live and I'm fading fast but I had to share the news!"

I was drunk last night during my last post. So don't feel bad. :P

Anyways, while I wait for this, i'll just have to go play Thief Gold.

Haha. I'm finishing up a replay of the Tomb Raider Trilogy (Anniversary/Legend/Underworld) that I was trying to complete before the new Alan Wake comes out in a couple of weeks (during which I'll be replaying AW, and the DLC Episodes, followed by American Nightmare)....so now I need to figure out where to squeeze these two games in.

I noticed on the dotemu user comments that there's no pc throttling on 11th Hour and it runs too fast. I wonder if the GOG version will address this?

AnneS 02-04-2012 03:34 PM

Interesting. I'm kind of nostalgic for The 7th Guest despite it not being the best of the nineties adventure games I played - it was genuinely innovative, even if the execution left something to be desired.

I have never played The 11th Hour. What is it like, compared with the first one?

Oscar 02-04-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 599639)
Stauf's voice CAN send chills down your spine... especially when playing in the dark... and even more so if you're young... :D

The sewers really got to me as well, and that clown! "Want a balloon sonny?" :frown: :crazy:

The whole atmosphere was great, it's the ultimate haunted house game.

Kurufinwe 02-04-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnneS (Post 599672)
I have never played The 11th Hour. What is it like, compared with the first one?

It suffers acutely from sequelitis: same formula, but more of this, and more of that, and more of this again, to the point where it breaks the balance and is just not really enjoyable anymore.

The puzzles are generally harder, or at least longer, and there are now several puzzles where you play against the computer — and those are just as annoying as the bacteria puzzle in T7G.

There's a lot more story, with long video cutscenes, but the story and writing are even cheesier than in T7G, and the acting just as awful. And the fun is definitely gone from it; while T7G seemed to embrace the cheesiness, 11H takes its story very seriously and tries to be all dark and scary — and just ends up looking like an episode from some really bad TV show from the 80s.

And then, because the extra cutscenes and longer puzzles were not enough, the game is made even longer by the addition of "scavenger hunts", where you get some clue straight out of some cryptic crossword compendium (I hope you like anagrams!) and have to go through all the accessible rooms again and again in search of the correct item. It can't even begin to express how annoying this part of the game is (and it is a huge part of the game).

When I first started playing 11H, I really really hated it. By the time I had reached the end of the second act, I had come to accept it for what it was and vaguely enjoy the rest of the ride. But it's still a very mediocre game.

(And once again I end up writing a big review... Sorry!)

Fien 02-04-2012 05:23 PM

Your "reviews" are generally very harsh. Even when you like the game in question.

Kurufinwe 02-04-2012 05:29 PM

That's unfair. When I like a game, I say so. I just don't like The 11th Hour.

Schneckchen ^.^ 02-05-2012 12:09 AM

Is Dotemu DRM free? I've never used it.

Monolith 02-05-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ (Post 599686)
Is Dotemu DRM free? I've never used it.

Yes. Its says right on the front page.

Fien 02-08-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe (Post 599681)
That's unfair.

Not from where I'm sitting. But of course I don't expect you to agree. It's simply my opinion of your "reviews", in particular of games you don't like.

Quote:

When I like a game, I say so.
You do, but that doesn't stop you from adding highly critical comments that I don't consider justified at all. For instance, you called the developers of Obsidian lazy (!) just because they didn't elaborate on the morality/ethics of Ceres or AI in general.

Quote:

I just don't like The 11th Hour.
BTW, you haven't explained how you get from I really, really hated it (why play a game you dislike that much...?) to vaguely enjoy the rest of the ride.

Monolith 02-10-2012 08:28 PM

7th Guest is now available on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/the_7th_guest

Adventure Games Forever 02-10-2012 10:33 PM

This is great news! I'll have to get both!

aimless 02-11-2012 07:45 PM

Does this mean we'll be able to watch a playthrough of The 7th Guest on your YouTube channel? ;)