You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 90s adventure game.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #1

Default 90s adventure game.

Hello, Yes I am new. I recently decided to install a box with windows 98 on it to play some games I grew up with. I wanted to find more adventure games also, so I found this forum.

I have many installed but their is one from my memory that I cant quite remember the name of. I am sorry if this is the wrong section.

Anyways, The game is based in a fantasied greek? style area. I remember the first few things you do is get some tack bread and throw it between two hills, the hills slam close and then you can take your boat between it safely. To be honest, I have been trying to remember this game for years, and no one knows what I am talking about. If anyone can remember this, I would be truly thankful.

Thank you.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior *female* member

I have no idea, sorry. But those Greek hills sound like the mythological Scylla and Charybdis. Have you tried searching Mobygames.com or pagoda.com?
Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #3
keyboard lurker

Maybe this?

Quote:
But those Greek hills sound like the mythological Scylla and Charybdis
That is so, you seem to be well informed about greek mythology
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I have no idea, sorry. But those Greek hills sound like the mythological Scylla and Charybdis. Have you tried searching Mobygames.com or pagoda.com?
Yeah, I have looked at entire lists of games released during this era. haha, I wish I had a better memory.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
lost in rubacava

Try doing a search using the terms Ulysses or Odyssey. Ulysses brought up a few hits on Mobygames.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
No, you're confusing Scylla and Charybdis (who were two sea monsters, associated with a cliff and a whirlpool, respectively) with the Symplegades, or "clashing rocks". They're from the story of Jason and the Argonauts rather than the Odyssey.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap View Post
No, you're confusing Scylla and Charybdis (who were two sea monsters, associated with a cliff and a whirlpool, respectively) with the Symplegades, or "clashing rocks". They're from the story of Jason and the Argonauts rather than the Odyssey.
Actually, I think you'll find Scylla & Charybdis in both.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 AM   #8
Elegantly copy+pasted

I never said they weren't (though as far as I can find, Scylla and Charybdis are only mentioned in passing, and never actually visited, in the Argonautica). My point was simply that the scene skizzy describes sounds like it's based on the Symplegades and how to pass through them in the story of Jason and the Argonauts, rather than on the episodes with Scylla and Charybdis in the Odyssey.

The Symplegades do not appear in the Odyssey, although a similar set of rocks, perhaps a related version of the same legend, known as the Planctae are mentioned (it's to avoid them that Odysseus passes between Scylla and Charybdis).