You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Help me choose a DS game

View Poll Results: Help me choose a DS game
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 7 50.00%
Professor Layton and the Curious Village 1 7.14%
Hotel Dusk 215 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #1
The Quiet One

Default Help me choose a DS game

Okay, so I've finally ordered a Nintendo DS (Lite)...! Trouble is, I'm spoiled for choice as to which game to get...

Out of these 3, which do you reckon?

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Hotel Dusk 215

The latter two seem to be pretty cheap on eBay, but there's only one cheap-ish copy left of Phoenix Wright...

What does everyone recommend?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
Filmfreak

What exactly are you looking for in a game?

Are you looking for comedy but still with a great story (full of twists)? Then Phoenix Wright is a no-brainer.

If you're looking for noir, then Hotel Dusk is the way to go.

Professor Layton, while a very good game, is far too casual in comparison with the other two, imo.
And by casual I mean you're able to play it in 5-minute sessions if you like. It's basically 100+ puzzles (or riddles, or slide puzzles - it varies greatly) with a general story that goes around it. It's less immersive than Dusk & Wright.

Out of Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright, Wright is imo the better game. But that's comparing "awesome" with "Awesome!".

If you want me to scale it somewhat:
Best game ever! > Phoenix Wright >>>> Hotel Dusk >>>>>>>> Professor Layton >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Generic good game.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Schattenjäger

Phoenix wright is the best of these three by a pretty wide margin. However, hotel dusk has the best sequel. Last window makes hotel dusk worth playing.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

If you can, skip all three and get Ghost Trick. However, Ace Attorney is the best one of your three choices.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #5

Like TimovieMan said, it all depends on what kind of games you like.

Hotel Dusk - Excellent Noir adventure, probably closest to point & click from that list
Layton - if you like lots of puzzles
Phoenix Wright - If you like dialogue driven stories. Very funny.

My answer? Why choose one, get them all I've got all three and love them all.

If you had to pick one first, and are equally open to any one, I'd pick Phoenix Wright. Its funny, the story is great and the gameplay mechanic is different from anything else you've played before.

Also, I'd consider what thejobloshow said about Ghost trick and I'll add 999, both of which are newer games that I havent played, but get rave reviews by everyone who has played them.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #6

All three games are excellent and should be played, although my favourite is Phoenix Wright.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Filmfreak

Even the top 100 has Phoenix Wright as the highest ranked DS title...
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
The Quiet One

It looks like Phoenix Wright is the top choice... Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

And don't worry - I will be buying all 3 at some point, as well as 999 and Ghost Trick, but it's just one of these 3 at the moment; and they all appeal to me too.

As Professor Layton is the most casual out of them, I think I'll leave that last. Hotel Dusk's setting and style certainly looks interesting though...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #9

Hotel Dusk was my game of the year for 2007. It is an amazing and stunning game - very adult.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village - my fav of the 4 Layton games. Rich production values and a very interesting story. Well worth the play.

Ace Attorney 3 - Trial and Tribulations. I loved the third one the best - interesting characters and humor that is priceless.

I say get Hotel Dusk first and play the other two after that. Its got some amazing things going on - and I won't spoil the game for you.