You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ahh.. i m lookin for a really difficult game !!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Advie.1

Default Ahh.. i m lookin for a really difficult game !!

i am a big fan of Riven,king quests,still life,... etc ; games that takes more than the usual 10-14 hours playing (unless you uses walkthrough) .. i ve played lately ...of unwritten tales,next big thing and i tried to remember a moment where i was really stuck .. but nothing .
i want advices for a difficult adventure or at least one that can be called not easy ,for a change.

i also own now games like (didnt play yet) lost horizon, simon 5, 15 days,whispered world, treasure island) ..and maybe you can give a break here and point for me which would fulfill ! ,and can be what i am looking for ,
thanks
Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Grue Master

You may want to try Chemicus as this is one of the hardest I have played. The Rhem games are a favorite of mine especially number one and maybe A Quiet Weekend in Capri. All are first person point and click games as I find these to be the most challenging..

Last edited by GreyFuss; 01-08-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #3

If you don't mind older games, The Feeble Files is both extremely long and extremely difficult (but not unfair). And it's pretty fun and available on GOG.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 01-08-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
Senior Passer-by

Look no further than Dracula 3: The Path of the Dragon (2008) (part of the game is fairly easy, but boy are you going to have fun after entering the underground) - if you like 'dead serious' AGs, or Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth / The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble (1994) if you're in for a wacky cartoony stuff (Woodruff plays nice on any modern OS with ScummVM).
Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Schattenjäger

I second Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon by Kheops.
The game gets extremely difficult later on and to be honest I was only able to finish it with a walkthrough. Aside of the high difficulty level the game is full of atmosphere and tells a story that is written much better than you usually see it in adventure games.

No comparism to the shallow and disappointing Dracula: Origin by Frogwares which had good puzzles but sucked in every other department.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 01-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

If you're into FMV, you could add Black Dahlia to the above list.

Quote:
The Feeble Files is both extremely long and extremely difficult (but not unfair).
You can say that again. I soon realized I had to dowload a walkthrough to get me through the more difficult puzzles. Worse, in two cases (I think it was the paint and the stars) I didn't even fully understand the explanation in the walkthrough. A truly humbling experience.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
If you're into FMV, you could add Black Dahlia to the above list.
Your right about the Black Dahlia. It was very hard, was long, & a very good game to boot. I never did finish it & might go back to it again if I can find it & if it works on my modern system. One of the best FMV types.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
The Feeble Files is both extremely long and extremely difficult (but not unfair).
I think we have different definitions of "unfair".
Anyway, I heard that Maupiti Island is a pretty difficult game. There's a great tribute to it here.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #9
UnseenUniversity Graduate

The first Discworld game is fairly hard...
Old 01-09-2012, 04:07 AM   #10

Schizm is a riven-like extremely difficult puzzle adventure.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:17 AM   #11

Timelapse also has the reputation of one of the hardest Myst clones. Keepsake is not easy, too.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by odnorf View Post
Schizm is a riven-like extremely difficult puzzle adventure.
This, and also Schizm 2. It's ridiculously hard (at least for me). I remember writing bruteforce programs for some of the puzzles.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #13

Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon - I third that, great underrated game and a rare example of a well-written horror with a lot of effort put into the story and puzzle design.
Zork Nemesis - the best Myst clone in my book. Not even a clone, as the world of Zork is very imaginative, and the puzzles are beautifully woven into it.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:51 AM   #14
The Quiet One

The 11th Hour?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
i also own now games like (didnt play yet) lost horizon, simon 5, 15 days,whispered world, treasure island) ..and maybe you can give a break here and point for me which would fulfill ! ,and can be what i am looking for ,
thanks
None of those, I'm afraid. Treasure Island and 15 days I didn't play, but from what I gathered 15 days is more about telling a story with very few puzzles in between and Treasure Island was apparently neither a really bad nor a really good adventure. But best find out for yourself.

Lost Horizon is a fun game for sure but story, dialog and characters felt a bit awkward to me . So did the puzzles. You'll always know what do but more often than not your character will feel the need to explain to you why it worked the way it did because many of the puzzles are pretty nonsensical. (And not in a good way.) If you've played Secret Files you know what you are in for.

Simon 5 is awkward and short. A bit better than 4 but still worlds apart from even 3.

The Whispered World has a better story than Simon 5 and Lost Horizon in my opinion but has certain annoying qualities, too. Best read some reviews.
The puzzles are a bit better than e.g. the ones in Lost Horizon, imho and there are some creative ones, too.
Unfortunately the ones were you might get stuck are stupid and unfair rather than hard. Not monkey wrench stupid but completely stupid.
It's like they tried to come up with something reminiscent of the more difficult puzzles of the classics and failed to understand them.
(Granted there was your fair share of unfair classics, too, but who would want to replicate that?)
But worst are some out of the box standard puzzles that got tacked on without even the slightest adaption, clearly in order to stretch the playing time. Unfortunately you're pestered with them especially near the finale.
Still it's a game worth playing with some shining moments both in puzzle design and story. Out of your bunch it's probably the best together with Lost Horizon, depending on what you are looking for in an adventure game.

Still, if you are looking for both hard and rewarding puzzles you almost certainly will find naught in your list. So better listen to some of the recommendations in this thread.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
Advie.1

thaanks all and esp. shnubble for the real and satisfying post... i will surely play Lost horizon as i am finished with Art o' Murder3... but there is something that troubles me in all these posts above including Shnubble's ;All the recommendation above suggest old games or not up to date games , i see the newest (i guess) are at least 5-6 years old which brings a question straight to my mind "do we have to really forget about playing a new but still a classic game and get used to the idea of the casual ones????!"
Old 01-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #17

Try Yoomurjak's Ring. It is fairly long and there are some very hard puzzles.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #18
Filmfreak

Quote:
All the recommendation above suggest old games or not up to date games , i see the newest (i guess) are at least 5-6 years old which brings a question straight to my mind "do we have to really forget about playing a new but still a classic game and get used to the idea of the casual ones????!"
Most of the newer games, in an attempt to reach a wider audience, are easier than the (sometimes unforgiving) ones from the '80s and '90s.

The recent A Stroke of Fate - Operation Valkyrie was, if the hint-thread on this forum is to be believed, quite difficult, though.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:36 AM   #19
Senior *female* member

Quote:
All the recommendation above suggest old games or not up to date games , i see the newest (i guess) are at least 5-6 years old which brings a question straight to my mind "do we have to really forget about playing a new but still a classic game and get used to the idea of the casual ones????!"
Hm... I don't know about that. Yes, adventures are being "casualised" in a way, but you asked for extra hard games and those were never the rule -- with the exception of the early text adventures. Full Throttle, Sam&Max, Broken Sword are easy classics. And about half of the recommendations you got in this thread are adventures after 2000. The newest ones are not at least 5-6 years old: Dracula 3 was released in 2008, the last Rhem game in 2010 and there's a new one in the making.

As an afterthought I recommend Edna and Harvey (2009) as well. Most difficult Daedalic game, definitely harder than the Whispered World. IMO, IMO, IMO.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #20

Back to the Future.