You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A game that absolutely should'd been in the Top 100 !?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
Advie.1

Default A game that absolutely should'd been in the Top 100 !?

i know that the top 100 games list is taking a lot of gossip , but shouldnt it?!
yes of course, i think it is a subject that can take whatever !.

i noticed a lot differences in the opinions with the top 100's and their order too,
but to go through this its one hell of a job (maybe if we talked about the top-10 Only)..but anyways i thought it would be interesting to look if this top 100's list had missed something REALLY important (as anyone point of view)

One game i loved so much in the last 10 years ,which did not take its credit as it should ! ..its The Immortals of Terra: A Perry Rhodan Adventure ,
and also i would like to mention an absolutely Great one its that classic game of Sierra; The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble.
Thats it

it could be my opinion Only! and i am cool with it, even if no one agrees .

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 01-07-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
and also i would like to mention an absolutely Great one its that classic game of Sierra; The Bizarre Adventures of Woodruff and the Schnibble.
You're right that Woodruff is a classic, but I think I would put Goblins 1 or 2 in before Woodruff. No particular reason, I just like them more and they both came first. They also had that multi-player interaction which was innovative and unique.

Any Coktel Vision game would have been better than twaddle like Book of Unwritten Tales.

Last edited by Oscar; 01-06-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Advie.1

i agree that Book of unwritten tales base element of success is at the quality of representing the game out for new and young adventure players but it does not fit to the standards of the old and classic games players.

and as for coktel vision it wouldnt have made anywhere without Sierra which i think also that ALL Sierra's games except a few (of course) should have been in the top 100. you know what i like to say "if Sierra didnt exist then Adventure games still nothing but a dream"
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #4

That is an excellent list - I would have liked to have seen 999 on the list. But that is just me really. I loved that game:

http://www.gamespot.com/nine-hours-n...%3Bread-review

I know the team that put that game together is working on another one for the 3DS and I hope its just as good if not better.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Advie.1

Mikekelly ,you know, i had never heard of that game, looks interesting though, i am after it .. i will post u my opinion as soon as i get the whole idea about it.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #6

Agreed, at least one Coktel game should've been mentioned. My favourite one being Goblins 3, of course Also there are obvious games missing, like Death Gate, Kyrandia, Alone in the Dark or any Cryo game.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #7

I heard lots of good things about Maupiti Island, but I barely played it.
Star Trek: A Final Unity was once in the PC Gamer's Top 100. Can't say anything about it since I never got it to work.
KGB is admired by quite a few. The music annoyed me too much, though.

I dunno about Dune. It was innovative, but seemed too slight, too shallow in regards to story and gameplay. I always hoped for more depth. Yet when I compare it to some other titles on the list, it compares favorably.
Death Gate and Azrael's Tear were definitely missing for me though.

I'd kick Syberia 2, The Neverhood and maybe Dreamfall off the list to make room for the last three mentioned.

Last edited by ozzie; 01-07-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Star Trek: A Final Unity was once in the PC Gamer's Top 100. Can't say anything about it since I never got it to work.
A Final Unity works in DOSBox, now, without much trouble.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #9

I guess it was some time ago since I last tried it. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Advie.1

ozzie The Neverhood! ,absolutely!!! not just missed of the top 100 i say of the top 10 too.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
ozzie The Neverhood! ,absolutely!!! not just missed of the top 100 i say of the top 10 too.

The Neverhood was #35

(unfortunately, I never liked it much)
Old 01-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
3rd person fanatic :)

I'm shocked, apalled and furiously angry that Flight Of The Amazon Queen didn't make it in top 100! It's an insult.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #13

I think the original "Gobliiins" should have been in there myself. "Goblins 3" is the superior game in terms of everything else, but I really like the first one's design gimmick. One goblin solves puzzles with inventory, another with brute force, and another with magic - and you have to get them all working together. That's a really clever idea. I would have liked to see more games follow that formula.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datadog View Post
I think the original "Gobliiins" should have been in there myself. "Goblins 3" is the superior game in terms of everything else, but I really like the first one's design gimmick. One goblin solves puzzles with inventory, another with brute force, and another with magic - and you have to get them all working together. That's a really clever idea. I would have liked to see more games follow that formula.
Well, Goblins 4 did it but that's probably not what you're after. There's also The Lost Vikings which was a platform game but followed a similar style having 3 characters with different powers.

In my opinion Goblins 3 was easily the worst of the series. It had a weak story, average puzzles and was made less interesting with only one character.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
In my opinion Goblins 3 was easily the worst of the series. It had a weak story, average puzzles and was made less interesting with only one character.
I disagree, I found the story of Goblins 3 being the strongest of them all (I'm not counting Woodruff, it has its own unique universe). It was really amusing to watch how
Spoiler:
Blount was transforming after the werewolf bite, both physically and mentally. And the final chapters that explored his memory and character featured some of the most imaginable locations and puzzles.
And he wasn't alone, his sidekicks were a lot of fun, especially Chump
Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
Senior Automaton

I never got around to those last chapters. I think I probably got 6 or 7 stages in. I liked some of the stages (3 was quite clever), but there were things that killed it for me like in the 2nd stage bashing through enemies one by one with no way of knowing which inventory item to use on which enemy. That was just so unlike a Goblins game.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #17

I thought that Gob3 had the best story as well. Something about the game makes it hold up better over time than the first two.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #18
Life and times of...

Almost all the adventure games that I've played were on that list, but I would've definitely put Gray Matter there. The best AG in a long time, and even if it weren't, it'd still be better than some in there

There are also many games there that I've only (or maybe never even) heard of, but of those that I have, I would've for example either considered Syberia I and II as one game or then, like someone said, dropped II down.

Also, Dreamfall could've easily been dropped for it. Nice game, but it's barely even adventure

Gray Matter had, aside from the end, a wonderful story, great characters as always with Jane Jensen, and even the easyish puzzles worked (unlike for example Dreamfall where the hardest puzzle was moving a box under a window to escape or something ).
Old 01-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #19

Seconding Grey Matter, which I loved.

The other two games I'd certainly put on the list are The Lost Crown and Scratches. Both great, scary games.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #20
Filmfreak

Games that I can think of that should have been on there:

- Dune or maybe Lost Eden: Cryo should have had *one* game on the list. But since Dune was the adventure game that went on to spawn the RTS-genre I can see why it wouldn't have made the cut. KGB/Conspiracy's not good enough, though, and I'm actually not sure if Lost Eden is too.

- Flight of the Amazon Queen: it's an awesome mix of Indiana Jones and Monkey Island and it should've been on there, imo.

- Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations: one Phoenix Wright game isn't enough, and this one's as good as the first one (that did make the list).

- Lost Horizon, To the Moon and 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors: three awesome recent games (2010 and up) that should be on there. Especially if you put L.A. Noire so darn high on the list...