You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A game that absolutely should'd been in the Top 100 !?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
- Flight of the Amazon Queen: it's an awesome mix of Indiana Jones and Monkey Island and it should've been on there, imo.
Pleased to know I'm not alone
Old 01-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #22
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Games that I can think of that should have been on there:

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
I'm actually surprised this game got an average review/score here when everywhere else has given it praise...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #23

Yes - 999 - I thought this game would be a shoe-in too. Many reviewers gave this game a perfect or near perfect score (this review is a 100 out of 100):

http://www.destructoid.com/review-ni...s-187838.phtml

I'd have had 999 my "game of the year" but "The Last Window" took that award.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #24
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekelly View Post
I'd have had 999 my "game of the year" but "The Last Window" took that award.
Slightly different for me:

I'd have had 999 my "game of the year" but "To the Moon" took that award.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #25

The Aggies are just around the corner. who will win? Ghost Trick? Portal 2? LA Niore? To the Moon? Heck I wouldn't count 999 out of the Aggies completely.

The 2011 Aggie awards are going to be interesting, to say the least.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #26

Portal 2 is the greatest joke of the top 100 (among others of course). A game which is definetly not an Adventure game is not in the top 50, not in the top 20, but (yes!) in the top 10 best adventure games of all time. Totally sick!
Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #27
Filmfreak

Whether or not Portal and Portal 2 are adventure games is up for debate, but general consensus places them within the adventure game genre, so they qualify.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #28
Hopeful skeptic

Portal fits our longstanding site definition of adventure perfectly -- the same definition that's governed every other adventure the site has ever covered. If it doesn't fit yours... well, most people don't even have a definition, so there's no point finishing that sentence. It's easy to be contrarian; much harder to make an actual argument.

Funny that people who so definitely claim Portal is not an adventure won't tell us what it actually is. Without making up some random mishmash of multiple genres, that is. Clearly it's not a traditional anything, so if it makes you feel better to call it a story-driven, first-person, physics-based platforming puzzle shooter, go right ahead. We call it a game that "focuses on puzzle solving within a narrative framework". You know, like an adventure.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
Funny that people who so definitely claim Portal is not an adventure won't tell us what it actually is.
Action? Platformer? Who knows.

I don't mind its inclusion in the top 100 at all, but I wonder whether something like Tomb Raider or Psychonauts would have been considered for the top 100. I'm not exactly sure what sets them apart from Portal.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:18 PM   #30
Hopeful skeptic

Both are far more combat/action-oriented than Portal. A few precision jumps is a far cry from surviving the Meat Circus. And puzzle-solving isn't the primary gameplay element in either of those games like it is in Portal.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #31

Well, Portal actually doesn't know itself what kind of game it is. Not even the ones who designed it know in which gerne it fits. "A litte bit of everything", is not a good reason to qualify this game as an adventure game. I am not saying that it is a bad game, on the contrary, it is a great game, but not an adventure game. And it is far more illogical for this game to take a higher place than games like Monkey Island I, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantys and so many more!
Old 01-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #32
Hopeful skeptic

"A little bit of everything" is not why it qualified. It qualified because it perfectly suits our site definition of an adventure, period. I've yet to hear anyone argue why it has no right to be called one on that basis. It's an extraordinarily different kind of adventure than most, but why on earth should games all need to be the same?

As for your other point, well, logic has nothing to do with which games you prefer.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:55 AM   #33

Well, if Prof. Layton can be an adventure, then I dont see why Portal is any different. Both are a sequence of puzzles fitted into a story framework. The only different is that Layton's puzzles are logic based, while Portal is platformer based. Though one can make solid case for Portal's puzzles to be logic based as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #34
Replicant

Not going to argue about Portal but to me they feel nothing like the adventure games I've been used to playing for years, yet other "different" games like L.A. Noire still have that adventure feel for me.

On-topic, Lost Horizon and Gray Matter are two of the best adventure games of the ongoing "Adventure Depression" and both belong on a top 100, IMO.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhi View Post
Well, if Prof. Layton can be an adventure, then I dont see why Portal is any different. Both are a sequence of puzzles fitted into a story framework.
As much as I wanted to argue that Portal isn't an adventure this argument made me think twice before doing so. I guess you're right....but maybe we should coin a new genre called 'x/adventure(a.k.a partial adventure)' or something.
I mean, here we have Phoenix Wright(visual novel), Professor Layton(puzzle game) and Portal(action-oriented). Totally different games yet still put under the same umbrella. Makes you wonder if any kind of game could pass through as an 'adventure' game.

Yeah...interesting to see how the adventure genre as we knew it gets reinvented.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #36
Hopeful skeptic

Personally I feel Portal is far more an adventure than Layton, because there's pretty much no attempt at all to integrate the puzzles in Layton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami
Makes you wonder if any kind of game could pass through as an 'adventure' game.
Any game whose primary focus is on puzzle-solving within a narrative framework certainly can. But not many games attempt that, so it will always be a pretty limited list.

Quote:
Yeah...interesting to see how the adventure genre as we knew it gets reinvented.
Nothing's being reinvented. The adventure genre has always been incredibly diverse -- probably far more so than any other. It may be 95% Monkey Island and Myst clones, but there's continually a Bad Mojo, The Dark Eye, In Memoriam, Shadow of Destiny, Samorost, or The Last Express to push the boundaries of convention. The likes of Portal, Stacking, and Phoenix Wright just add to an already distinguished list of games that dared to be different. (And hey, that's why they're on the list! )
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #37
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
As much as I wanted to argue that Portal isn't an adventure this argument made me think twice before doing so. I guess you're right....but maybe we should coin a new genre called 'x/adventure(a.k.a partial adventure)' or something.
Good luck placing ANY game in a genre, then. Genres evolve over time, and genres have different sub-genres anyway. If you're going to put everything ONLY in its sub-genre, you'll eventually only be able to make top-10 lists simply because there aren't enough similar titles.
You can differentiate, and yes, some games may make you doubt as to what genre they belong to, but you have to draw the line somewhere...
Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #38

I thought the Lost Crown might sneak into the list. The game only really has two points against it: the character animations arent great and a lot of people don't like the voice acting. Those things really aren't such an issue in this genre really, where games like Gemini Rue can be lauded despite 20 year old graphics and the voice acting is a personal taste issue. Besides, it's terrible in many games. But honestly, what game of the last ten years looks as beautiful and has such an original visual design as LC? Which games have a more epic, more varied storyline? How many games have such a huge gameworld to explore? It's clear from the forums of this and other AG sites that The Last crown is a very anticipated game. Boakes games also tend to be among the better selling AGs on Amazon too. These games have a bigger fanbase than you might think, and a list of this nature should show the diversity of the genre. I'm not one to complain overly about these kinds of lists because I know they are an impossible task but I do think this game should have been given its due.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #39

I was surprised that Infocom's entire combined body of work wasn't worth at least a place in the top ten, all put together. A Mind Forever Voyaging, Trinity, and Spellbreaker all deserved places.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #40

I thought Scratches would make an appearance. It's one of the best atmospheric horror games I've ever played.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown