You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guess the game from the Amazon review!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #81

Huzzah!

This one was the best I could do:

Quote:
This game might be long, but it's because you spend over half your time sitting and listening to (or reading dialogue captions of, if you prefer) the conversations between all the characters. Since there are hints included in the conversations, you really can't skip them. The actual "puzzles" are few and far between. Some of the characters are extremely rude and use some foul language. To me, this game is more like watching a soap opera than a hidden object/adventure game. I might add that it took over 3 hours to download it on my DSL internet connection....which does tell you how realistic the graphics truly are. I just prefer actual game play over great graphics and long conversations!

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #82
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Hmm... I finally get a chance to guess one and I have no idea! The Longest Journey?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #83

Good guess, but no.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Old 01-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #84
tsa
Playing character

It's also not Dreamfall.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #85
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
It's also not Dreamfall.
It might be, imo.

But since you already guessed that, I'll go with "Lost Horizon". That too was very cutscene-heavy...
Old 01-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #86
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I'll go with "Lost Horizon".
Hehe, if you keep guessing LH all the time (you already did it twice in a row), one of these days you just might be right .
Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #87

Did this guy just call whatever this game is a Hidden Object casual? Its bad enough people include RPG's in the Adventure genre nowadays....unless the review is from a casual...

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #88
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Hehe, if you keep guessing LH all the time (you already did it twice in a row), one of these days you just might be right .
So it's Dreamfall then?
Old 01-04-2012, 06:49 AM   #89
Senior Passer-by

Old 01-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #90
tsa
Playing character

Another wild guess: Moment of Silence?
Old 01-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #91

Still not correct. Here's another review, though I took out one part that's a dead giveaway:

Quote:
I've spend hundreds of dollars on Amazon's downloadable PC games over the years, and this is by far the worst game I've purchased.

Every clickable item is followed by a long, descriptive speech, regardless if the item is of use or not.

Even though you can double-click to shorten walking/talking sequences, there are still many times when nearly every action takes seemingly forever.

There seems to be quite a bit of "busy work" with very little story development.

The main character's fake ------------- accent and constant pontificating gets on one's nerves almost immediately.

The forced storyline of the main character being laid-back, rebellious, not caring, or whatever makes him completely uninteresting and pretty much completely annoying.

There isn't much clarity on what to do next most of the time. I find myself wandering aimlessly, not sure how to even attempt to complete a task or use an item.

I spent $8.00 on this game, and really wish I could get a refund, as I am not even going to play any more of it.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #92
The Magnificent

It has to be Black Mirror 2
Old 01-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #93

Indeed, it is.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #94
tsa
Playing character

I played quite a lot of games but I'm always surprised at how big the amount of games that I haven't played is!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #95
The Magnificent

The description of the main charater really gave it away

Okay here is one i found.

Quote:
The story drew me in completely, making me care about the characters and what happened to them. The game-play involved both action and the investigation of mysterious events, but was refreshingly different from the standard genres of hidden object, murder mystery, or monster fighting.

I realize that the computer game industry is mostly targeted at players in their teens or twenties, and this game should be well received by that audience. But it's nice to find a game like this one that can also entertain older players like me.

My game-play lasted well over twelve hours; I kept coming back for more whenever I had time. The ending was quite satisfying, but I was sorry when it was over and immediately wanted to buy another game like this one.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there are any like it. Please tell me your suggestions if you have one.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #96
Filmfreak

Lost Horizon!

But seriously, L.A. Noire?
Although 12 hours would be incredibly fast for that...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM   #97
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Scratches?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:58 PM   #98
Senior Automaton

Lost Crown?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #99
The Magnificent

No No and No - L.A. Noire would also be my own guess based on the review, but it isn't.
I posted the most misleading review i could find, so I'm not surprised no one has guessed it yet.

Here is another review of the same game, which is not quite as misleading, though quite negative, but still doesn't make it too obvious.

Quote:
The art and music are pretty good and the voice acting is ok, but some of the puzzles are just TERRIBLE. Without including spoilers, I can say that there's one where you have to click on just the right few pixels of a clickable object to get credit for a quest, and another where you have to act on something in one place, then wander randomly through ever other room in the location until you accidentally find the one that an NPC has walked into while you were not there. I think I stopped being able to force myself to continue to play around Day 6. I generally like adventure games, but this one was very disappointing.
Regardless of this negative review, it generally got pretty good reviews (3.5 in the AG review)

And no - it is not a hidden object game, casual adventure or action adventure, it's a proper adventure game.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #100
Filmfreak

Day 6? It's not Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, is it?