You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guess the game from the Amazon review!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #61
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
I bet it's Runaway 2!
That's it! But don't tell me you googled it Nah, you know my taste in games too well

I originally wanted to post a negative review on DotT, but didn't succeed
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 01-03-2012, 05:47 AM   #62
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
That's it! But don't tell me you googled it Nah, you know my taste in games too well
Why would I need Google for such an easy task?
There aren't too many AGs that take place in snowy landscapes and jungles, and there are even fewer AGs you played , so it was like shooting fish in a barrel .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
I originally wanted to post a negative review on DotT, but didn't succeed
There are NO bad reviews of DotT, and rightfully so. One day you'll wake up and realise DotT is a gem.

Here is another opinion (not on DotT!) from Amazon.com customer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by some smart a$$
The subject matter of **** is eerily dark, surreal, and occasionally disturbing (wait until you see the town of deformed children) and starts with a bang. From the 3rd chapter on it all rapidly goes downhill. I got the feeling that the first two chapters were the only ones that were really thought out, and the rest were just sort of tacked on to fill space. The levels where you morph into a four-armed cyclopean comic book character and an aztec stone god seem to belong in a different game entirely. The mood is broken so many times in the course of the story that it's irrecoverable by the end. Speaking of the mood the AWFUL voice acting nearly kills it all on its own. You'll want to play this one with the sound off. Biggest problem - NO challenge! Its a puzzle-style game, and I've played a lot of them granted. But I beat this game in approximately 6 hours with no looking on the web for clues. Not a good return on my investment. Bottom line, find a demo and play the first two levels. You won't be missing anything after that.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 AM   #63

Deformed children? I put my year salary on - Sanitarium
Old 01-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #64
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Deformed children?
That's one of a couple of (dead) giveaways in the smart a$$'s review, and I deliberately left all of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
I put my year salary on - Sanitarium
And you won't lose your $1200!

Sanitarium it is!
Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 274
Size:  2.2 KB
Old 01-03-2012, 06:14 AM   #65

Quote:
And you won't lose your $1200!
I wish!

Quote:
This game got the best from "Diablo II, Painkiller, Unreal Tournament 2003, Unreal Tournament 2004, Thief: Deadly Shadows, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Silent Hill 4, Crysis and scenes from the 1997 film Spawn and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."
Im surprised the four horsemen and the Rapture haven't shown up yet. Cant wait for Uwe Boll to pick up the rights for the game to make it into a movie!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #66
Filmfreak

Are you sure he's talking about an adventure game???
Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #67

Oh, yes!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #68
an angel of romance

Quote:
Why would I need Google for such an easy task?
There aren't too many AGs that take place in snowy landscapes and jungles, and there are even fewer AGs you played , so it was like shooting fish in a barrel .
Hey I've played plenty of AGs . I just chose to post a review on one of my favourite games. Next time I'll post a review that's a little harder to guess.

Quote:
There are NO bad reviews of DotT, and rightfully so. One day you'll wake up and realise DotT is a gem.
That can only happen in your dreams . I tend to stick to my opinion on things And every thing (in this case a game) needs to have somebody who hates it and loves it, it brings balance
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 01-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #69
tsa
Playing character

Myst?
Edit: No, it's most probably that motorcycle game with Maureen of which I forgot the name. Full Throttle!
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #70

This review is so absurd it could apply to any adventure (well, more accurately, it could apply to none, hence to any). Since there are action-y games in the list, I'll guess Fahrenheit.

EDIT: Scratch that. I'm guessing Limbo of the Lost, which literally "got the best" from lots of other products.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Limbo of the Lost
Aaaand... we have a winner

Also, that review is sarcastically titled "Game of the year"
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #72

That was a very clever one, diego. I really should play that game one day, just for fun.

Next: Can you guess what adventure got this glowing, 5-star review?

I was playing xxxxxxxxxxxx long before I played Diablo I, II and expansion. Dieblo is kill, kill, kill or be killed there is no puzzles to solve or quests to under take that takes a little brain power. You just have to find the golden trunk and open it.

In xxxxxxxxxxxxx you cannot go to the second land without acheving or solving a puzzle. Each quest has some type of puzzle or manuvers to gain access to it. In the first land you must find the three things so that the wizard can make you a potion to kill the one that is blocking your way.

I think this game is great it takes some thought to accomplish each quest. Myself and my three grandsons have worn the cd out and I am searching for one, to play on my new that they are giving me for Father's Day.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #73
tsa
Playing character

Hand of Fate?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #74

Not at all.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #75

So, a pre-97 title... I suspect it's an early Sierra game, possibly one of the Quests judging by the fantasy connotation...

A wild guess - Quest for Glory 1?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #76

Nope. Note that the xxxxx's are not the same word. The second instance is the actual game, but the first one is more general, e.g. "I was playing the Monkey Island series", or "I was playing Sierra games", or "I was playing Myst-style games", etc. So the game could be later than Diablo, but belonging to some more general category that predates it.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #77
tsa
Playing character

Discworld I?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #78

You're very cold. What makes the review funny is that, at the time of its release, the game was derided among adventure circles for its lack of puzzles.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #79

That sounds like King's Quest 8: The Mask of Eternity

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 01-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #80

You're right!