You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guess the game from the Amazon review!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 04:49 AM   #41

Barrow Hill?
Old 01-01-2012, 04:57 AM   #42
Senior Automaton

I just tested with my Rhem review whether you could google some of the words and get an answer and, unfortunately, you can (not that I would ever accuse anyone of doing this). I wonder if there is any way to prevent this?
Old 01-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #43

I don't think you can prevent it. As a matter of fact, i've just confirmed by myself that i'm right about Barrow Hill by googling (i knew what horror game is zobraks' favourite ) so it really comes down to whether someone really finds amusing to guess by searching on Google for it. I admit i would sometimes go to some list of adventure titles if for instance, i suspect it's a horror or comedy game to remind myself, but to look for the exact answer would kill all the fun for me.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 AM   #44
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Barrow Hill?
Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 407
Size:  2.2 KB

As a bonus, here's another insightful reviewer of Barrow Hill:
Quote:
This game left a lot to be desired. First off, it is supposed to be a "horror" game but about the only real horror in the entire game is the "mess" left in the kitchen. Other than that, there really is very little about the game to put one on the "edge of one's seat". In fact, at several points in the game, I found myself laughing out loud at some of the things that were (I believe) meant to be disturbing but instead just came across as being "hokey". The story line was not too awfully bad but for the most part it seemed as if they had a story and were unable to come up with the goods to create a decently frightening atmosphere, not to mention some decent puzzles. Mostly, you are just stumbling around in the dark (literally) and travelling in circles. It could have been infinitely better. Would I recommend this game to another person? Probably not; that is unless they were looking for a good laugh or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
I just tested with my Rhem review whether you could google some of the words and get an answer and, unfortunately, you can
Of course (all) long texts (that appear somewhere on the Internet) are googleable.

Quote:
I wonder if there is any way to prevent this?
Yes there is, and the thing that can stop people from googling/cheating is called consciense Name:  old_fogie.gif
Views: 407
Size:  2.4 KB.

Personally I think it's stupid to cheat in a game like this (where googling would be like shooting fish in a barrel).
Old 01-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #45

Quote:
I wonder if there is any way to prevent this?
As a matter of fact - yes. I've just figured you can write your own (unpublished) Amazon review and post it here

In a style of an average Amazon reviewer who didn't play many adventure games, it would be something like:

"I've heard great things about this game but it's SO BOOOOOORING!!! Ok, the talking robot is fun, but all you do is waaalk and TALK! No shooting, just doing some weird toy puzzles. She even CAN'T JUMP! And she often talks on the phone with her boyfriend! I mean, if i wanted to see romantic affairs i would get myself and watch some Hugh Grant movie!! And when i got to that place with two GIANT rhinoceros statues, i expected at least to see some scary animal monsters or zombies, but there was nothing! I give it 2 stars because the graphics are nice!!!"

Ok, and now for the actual review:

Quote:
It is frustrating and irritating how dumb she is.
Haven't finished it yet because the lead character annoyed me soo much but oughta finish it as I bought it.
Why won't she understand there is no freakin hotel!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #46
I changed my title

So Blonde?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #47

That's right
Old 01-01-2012, 07:51 AM   #48
The Quiet One

Eh? That review sounds more like Syberia.

Quote:
"I've heard great things about this game but it's SO BOOOOOORING!!! Ok, the talking robot is fun, but all you do is waaalk and TALK! No shooting, just doing some weird toy puzzles. She even CAN'T JUMP! And she often talks on the phone with her boyfriend! I mean, if i wanted to see romantic affairs i would get myself and watch some Hugh Grant movie!! And when i got to that place with two GIANT rhinoceros statues, i expected at least to see some scary animal monsters or zombies, but there was nothing! I give it 2 stars because the graphics are nice!!!"
Of course, the sixth highlight should actually be two Mammoths...

EDIT: Oops... I've just realized your So Blonde review (the main one) was below it. Nevermind...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour

Last edited by DustyShinigami; 01-01-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #49
I changed my title

OK, here's an excerpt from a review:
Quote:
Low points
* Profane language, Mature rating. The bad language is unnecessary. The sexual content, however, is within context.
* Main character has the responses of a 14 year old. This was a serious off-putter for me. For instance, no [REDACTED] would ask for a warrant on the grounds that they didn't like the suspect. This happened time after time within the game, even when hard evidence was available.
* Multiple endings mentioned on box boil down to succeed or fail to solve the case.
* Dynamic camera implementation simply means that in some scenes the camera rotates continually round. Clever, but not very useful.
* Not all the threads within the game are fully wrapped up by the finish. This could imply a sequel, but I suspect this aspect just got overlooked.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #50
fov
Rattenmonster

LA Noire?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:46 AM   #51
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
LA Noire?
That would be my guess too.

Not entirely convinced, though, because of the "main character asking for a warrant on the grounds that they didn't like the suspect"-remark. Haven't encountered that yet (and I'm at case 16 out of 21).
Old 01-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #52
tsa
Playing character

I don't know that one. But I sure like this thread! I'll post one when I gave a right answer .
Old 01-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #53
I changed my title

Not L.A Noir, I haven't played that one yet.
It's slightly older than that (but not an old game).
Should I give another review?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #54

Still Life?
Old 01-02-2012, 09:26 AM   #55
an angel of romance

Culpa Innata?
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 01-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #56
tsa
Playing character

It's not Post Mortem, that's for sure.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #57
I changed my title

SweetDaliah got it!
It was Culpa Innata with its disappointing ending.
At least the investigation had some justification in that it was a dystopian future so you could basically give any reason you wanted.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #58
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shany View Post
It was Culpa Innata with its disappointing ending.
At least the investigation had some justification in that it was a dystopian future so you could basically give any reason you wanted.
Yes, so many questions were left unresolved. I was really hoping for a sequel, but the company got into some really bad financial problems, so Culpa Innata Chaos Rising never got out.

Next one:

Quote:
But getting to the main point, the game is purely and simply FUN! The main reason for this is probably that the different places you travel to are wildly different, including tropical places, snowy places, cities, boats, ruins... And the graphics and artwork are simply breathtaking. The whole visual style is completely different from any other adventures I've played, which makes the experience fun and refreshing......

.....As always, the characters give you many clues and hints, and in _____, the characters have a lot to say! Which is good, because the dialogue and script are really funny and well-done. One of the aspects I most enjoyed was that the writing seemed very well-thought-out and was actually aimed at an audience with a thinking mind on its shoulders! This includes a huge number of references to books, movies, famous personages, and other games.
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 01-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #59
Senior Passer-by

I bet it's Runaway 2!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #60
Filmfreak

I'd go with Lost Horizon.