You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guess the game from the Amazon review!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 11:55 PM   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandcliklover View Post
iv'e said one, i've said it twice, i'll say it again ...i hate thrid year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway yes you are right, glass rose, your turn.
I feel your pain, I'm in 4th year (Scotland) and I have a dissertation due in less than three weeks. I haven't started yet.

Anyway, more importantly, games XD XD

Here is mine, shouldn't be very tough I don't think:

Quote:

The cartoon style graphics of this game make it instantly look different in these days of 3D realism, but I think they're quite effective and they blend well with the pure animation cut scenes. I'm undecided whether the cartoon style detracts from the dark themes of the plot or provides some needed lightening of the game with its gristly deaths, I suppose it depends on how dark you like your games.

The game play is quite good, although there seems to be an excess of locked doors for you to get through.There are the stardard adventure game inventory puzzles some of which require serious thought and a few events where a speedy reaction is needed. There is the usual 'pick up everything that isn't nailed down' and doing jobs for other characters to make progress, nothing innovative but all nicely done. The characters of the various people in the <removed> and your hero and his sidekick <removed> [who's very annoying!] are all very well acted and characterized, and your character, <removed>'s, complex past is revealed in the course of his conversations with others. You hunt for clues and interview the <removed> over a storyline that takes place over a few days, as time goes on you feel an increasing urgency as things come to a dramatic finale.

It's a good length game, though probably not the '40 hours' mentioned in some descriptions of the game, but enough you won't feel cheated. It's entertaining to play and quite fun in it's way. As long as you're after a nice game and not an orginal story idea you'll enjoy it.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #402

Yesterday?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #403

Nope. . . not that one.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #404
I changed my title

Edna and Harvey?
Old 03-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #405

Not Edna and Harvey, nope
Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 AM   #406

A New Beginning?

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 AM   #407

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
A New Beginning?
No. . . not that one either. . .
Old 03-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #408
Senior Passer-by

My guess is Torin's Passage.
I haven't played the game, but that purple cat (I thought it was a rabbit or a groundhog, lol!) looks annoying enough to deserve this description:

Quote:
your hero and his sidekick <removed> [who's very annoying!]
Old 03-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #409

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
My guess is Torin's Passage.
I haven't played the game, but that purple cat (I thought it was a rabbit or a groundhog, lol!) looks annoying enough to deserve this description:
Haven't even heard of that one! That's not it. . .
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #410

The guesses seem to be slow coming, so I will post the full review; initially I took out the first paragraph because I thought it'd be too easy.

Quote:
I bought this game as I'm a fan of the Cadfael detective novels and I also enjoyed 'The Name of the Rose', a film that you are often reminded of as you play the game with its forbidden library and hints of something Satanic. Some bits of the game do seem far too derivative but it's nicely done over all. Set in the Middle Ages you play as <removed> who, when his simple delivery job is interupted by falling boulders and violent death, takes on a distinctly Sherlock-style detective role.

The cartoon style graphics of this game make it instantly look different in these days of 3D realism, but I think they're quite effective and they blend well with the pure animation cut scenes. I'm undecided whether the cartoon style detracts from the dark themes of the plot or provides some needed lightening of the game with its gristly deaths, I suppose it depends on how dark you like your games.

The game play is quite good, although there seems to be an excess of locked doors for you to get through.There are the stardard adventure game inventory puzzles some of which require serious thought and a few events where a speedy reaction is needed. There is the usual 'pick up everything that isn't nailed down' and doing jobs for other characters to make progress, nothing innovative but all nicely done. The characters of the various people in the <removed> and your hero and his sidekick <removed> [who's very annoying!] are all very well acted and characterized, and your character, <removed>'s, complex past is revealed in the course of his conversations with others. You hunt for clues and interview the <removed> over a storyline that takes place over a few days, as time goes on you feel an increasing urgency as things come to a dramatic finale.

It's a good length game, though probably not the '40 hours' mentioned in some descriptions of the game, but enough you won't feel cheated. It's entertaining to play and quite fun in it's way. As long as you're after a nice game and not an orginal story idea you'll enjoy it.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #411
Senior Passer-by

Murder in the Abbey aka The Abbey (obviously).
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #412

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Murder in the Abbey aka The Abbey (obviously).
Yep you got it. Your turn.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #413
Senior Passer-by

Here goes nothing:
Quote:
This is nice. Why is it so rare that a game, a format that we literally can put as much stuff into as our imagination can hold, so often falls flat in the creativity department, relying on tired old familiarities instead of pushing the envelope? *the name of the game omitted* is a rallying cry against this. The developers manage to pack more *kind of punch omitted*/human puch then cool world could ever muster up. *name ommited* has got to be one of the best *kind of actor omitted* actors ever, and is perfect in the role of the *kind of role omitted* who is transported to *destination omitted* in which he has to figure his way out of. Get it to be reminded of the creativity and imagination lying dormant in this genre.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 AM   #414
Filmfreak

Sounds like FMV + animation. I can only think of Toonstruck.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 AM   #415
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I can only think of Toonstruck.
And they say it's bad to have limited views options...
You got it Flim-Flam FilmMan!
Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 74
Size:  2.2 KB
Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 AM   #416
Filmfreak

New one:

Quote:
Let me get to the BUT first: This game was originally released in <*year deleted*>. That means it will run under Windows 95 or DOS ONLY. You can play it on a new machine, but only if you have a program like DOSbox or the like to simulate DOS.

That being said, it's worth whatever you have to go through to get <*title with a wrong word*> to run on your machine. They didn't make them any better than this, and I hardly have the words to tell you about it. Acting and directing are professional and first-rate, graphics are stunning, writing is brilliant, puzzles are intelligent, interface is intuitive, music is staggering -- I could go on and on.

The game is looooong (several days, even the second time through) and also has great replayability. You can play so <*main character's name*>, the main character, is a nice guy in a rotten world, or you can play it so he's a cynical crumb, with completely different scenes and interactions depending which path you take. There are a total of about eight different endings possible. There's also an easier puzzle level available, plus there are in-game hints (for a point price).

I play this game over and over (though I admit, partly that's because I have a huge crush on <*main character's name*> -- what can I say, I love tall gorgeous men with self-deprecating humor). I may have to buy it just to replace my worn-out CDs.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #417

The Pandora Directive?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 AM   #418
Filmfreak

Correctamundo.

Where I deleted the title, the reviewer had written "Pandora Device". And I've read "Pandora Detective" in another review. Must be a difficult title...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:46 AM   #419
Homo Ludens

Quote:
I play this game over and over (though I admit, partly that's because I have a huge crush on <*main character's name*> -- what can I say, I love tall gorgeous men with self-deprecating humor). I may have to buy it just to replace my worn-out CDs.
Never noticed Tex/Chris being particularly tall. But... holy moly!... Chris Jones stands at 6'7'' (according to Aaron Conners)! That's 200cm sharp...
Old 03-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #420

Take this:

Quote:
How can a company, *** make the best adventure game in years, with an intriguing story, a great character's gender omitted character and incredible beautiful and amazing graphics and not work out a little thing like the sound of footsteps? When the character stops walking -- the footsteps continue. I guess because otherwise, the game would be perfect.

...The lushness and construct is beyond human scale and so evokes the feeling of being in a truly magical place. If everything is magical, anything can happen. The wow factor happens when something exceeds your expectation and I experienced it numerous times. You have to see it for yourself.

...How you get there is your training in how you find your way and skill in remembering locations .By game's end you can pretty well find your way around. And the footsteps? What footsteps? I don't hear them anymore.