You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guess the game from the Amazon review!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2012, 06:18 AM   #241
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_93 View Post
CoyoteAG got it! Nancy Drew Creature of Kapu Cave...
I remember all the specimens that you have to analyze in that game and the switching back and forth between Nancy and the Hardy Boys clinched it.

Give me a few minutes for a new one. I just want to browse through the thread to make sure I don't repeat one.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #242
Dreamfall Soon!

Ok here are two reviews with opposing viewpoints:

The good (note that I took a couple of incriminating lines out of this):

Quote:
All i can say is ( its about time ) ..finally..we have an adventure game that hits on every cylinder.Amazing cartoon graphics and cut scenes...a story that has you hooked line and sinker.Great puzzles...that bring me back to the thoughts of monkey island...hours and hours of fun..

this is an instant classic, ...this is a must buy for any adventurer...the dialoge is great, hilarious at times,just looking at the most simplest things can be very entertaining..a little chatty..but it adds to the amazing story...

there is one draw back that got me a little tired ..but ...did very little to damper the experience....when you go room to room..the screen goes black...for like a few seconds....

but the good news is...when you walk to a certain place on the screen...you can press the space bar to jump there right away...you can right click on an exit to jump to the next screen without having to walk across...the puzzles are perfectly done...easy to medium to hard...but nothing that didnt make sense...if you are thorough enough you will find the answer...no need to read through tons of papers and books to find an answer... you can also press the tab button to see all the hot spots on the screen..

there are a ton of great moments in the game....just go buy it...you will be so glad you did...the only bad thing is...you will be spoiled...
The bad:

Quote:
I guess I'm not a fan of cartoon type video games.The humerous? dialog wears thin pretty quickly and is annoying.There are hardly any puzzles-just a lot of dialog and finding and using inventory items.Disappointing game and I wanted it to end!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #243
tsa
Playing character

Al Emmo?
Old 02-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #244
Dreamfall Soon!

No, not Al Emmo.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #245

Sounds like A Vampyre Story
Old 02-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #246
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Sounds like A Vampyre Story
That's it! I took a reference to the bat out of the first review.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #247

Next:

Quote:
A downside in the puzzles, in my opinion, is that they are too hard and can take a lot of time. There are lots and lots of places to go and sometimes getting from one puzzle to the next can be too straining and boring. I resorted to a 'walkthrough' for most of the puzzles. An upside of the game is that it is quite funny(for the most part) and 'loony' and has a good, surprising ending. It was fun talking to all the 'nutcases' in the game, each having their own particular type of madness.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #248
Dreamfall Soon!

Edna and Harvey?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM   #249

Yeap Your go again
Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #250
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Yeap Your go again
Nice! It was the only game that I could think of where there are a lot of insane people besides Sanitarium and last time I checked, Sanitarium wasn't all that funny.

Here's some fun ones:

Quote:
I downloaded this game from Amazon after spending a long time reading the reviews. Game downloaded OK but as I started to play I noticed that I couldn't see the principle character, and as the game progressed I couldn't see anyone else either. I finally stopped playing when I got into the pub and there wasn't anyone else there, just their speech bubbles. I complained to Amazon, but they didn't bother to respond. My recommendation is to avoid this download like the plague - DO NOT BUY IT - IT'S A SCAM AND A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!
Quote:
Really enjoying the game. Just happen to love the time period. The graphics are wonderful and voice acting great. Interesting story and easy play. Good purchase.
This one is my favorite:
Quote:
The gameplay itself is rather simplistic with little challenge beyond clicking everything thats highlighted
The characters are not well developed nor particularly likable
The ending just made me want to go back in time and never buy this game
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 AM   #251
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Broken Sword?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #252
Senior Automaton

Ceville?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #253
Dreamfall Soon!

Nope neither of those.

Here is another with a little more info:

Quote:
Being a fan of mystery adventures, once I read the storyline, I knew this was a game I would have to play. The game has a dark gothic mood to it, the graphics are impressive, and the two main characters in the investigation present you with two different styles of gameplay. Playing as the XXXXX, the game is more of a point & click adventure as you're more preoccupied 'gathering' items in hopes of escaping to America. Playing as the XXXXXXX, the gameplay is more in the spirit of the Sherlock Holmes mysteries as you're gathering evidence and have to use your deductive skills to piece all the clues together. The ending comes out of left field - so don't expect a typical Hollywood wrap-up here. XXXXXX deserves credit for having a much deeper storyline and more complex characters than typical adventure fare. Overall, I was pleased with the game and would recommend this to anyone in search of a good dark mystery adventure.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #254
Filmfreak

Dark gothic and presumably at the end of the 19th century. Alter Ego?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #255
grave wax

Send a message via MSN to adipocere

I'm going with Alter Ego too on this.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #256
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Dark gothic and presumably at the end of the 19th century. Alter Ego?
Well done! Your turn.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #257
Filmfreak

New one:

Quote:
My favorite game when I was little!

This is a great game if you like to solve puzzles. Some puzzles are really easy, but others are immpossibly hard. If you get stuck you can easily get a hint either from the book in the games library, or from searching the internet. I really love this game and would give it 5 stars if I hadn't already done it, now I'm going through it again trying to get to the puzzles that I never solved myself but the ones I did solve the first time are sooooo much easier even if I don't remember the answer. One plus is that compared to the older version for DOS, the new one for windows goes much faster and you don't have to wait a long time for things to move around (like yourself or the puzzle pieces)

For the people who said that they couldn't hear the characters speaking over the music:
All you have to do is go into your computers music settings by double-clicking on the speaker at the bottom right of the screen. Then make sure that the WAV sound is set louder than the midi sound.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #258

Sounds like Clandestiny. Remember it having first person gameplay broken by puzzles and an in game library of sorts.
Could also be the other games by Trilobyte but since I haven't played any of them I'm not going to guess
Old 02-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #259
Filmfreak

It's not Clandestiny.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 AM   #260
UnseenUniversity Graduate

7th Guest? I never played it because I couldn't hear the voices... but I'm sure that game isn't easy.... hmm...