You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Guess the game from the Amazon review!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #221
Stalker of Britain

Okay, here it goes:

Quote:
A good choice for adults not wanting a shooting game. I wouldn't have chosen a horror game, but I am about half way through it and it is not that scary.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #222

Amnesia?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #223
tsa
Playing character

The Lost Crown?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #224
Stalker of Britain

haha-You know me so well. Yes, tsa, it's "The Lost Crown". And it really wasn't that scary.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM   #225
tsa
Playing character

No it wasn't, although that scene in the museum had me on the edge of my seat.

Woot, it's me again!

OK, this is a very difficult one. It's so old it's not sold on Amazon so I had to dig in the deep recesses of the internet to find a review:
Quote:
*** places the player in the mythical land of Kerovnia, with the sole objective of making his escape. However, before doing so, there is much to do and lots to see. The complex text handling system allows deep and meaningful interaction with other characters and/or objects encountered, to the extent that peripheral tasks soon become prevalent. To quote the press release sent to me by Clare Edgeley of Rainbird, "All characters and objects are represented as if they existed in a real world, storing complex information about their attributes and properties linked to their particular position or context in the game." I'll go along with that.

The CPC6128 program has all of the features contained in other versions: Sophisticated Parser, Word Processor style Line Editor, option to Save a Game Position to Disk and Graphics On/Off Toggle. The only difference that I can see is that the graphics displayed scroll up off the screen when data is needed from the disk. This (I am told!) is because the graphics are in a different screen mode to the text, and there is insufficient processor power to show the picture and access the disk drive at the same time. This is no big deal, and it does not detract from the gameplay at all.

I think that by now, every adventure reviewer in the United Kingdom has raved about ***. There is not much to add to what has already been said, the story and some of the puzzles will probably be known to you, especially if you read the February issue of AMTIX!

The CPC6128 version of *** is excellent, although the text did seem a little blurred to me, but then the eyes are not what they used to be... the middle one is very weak!

Save up your pennies and buy ***, it's probably the finest adventure to have been released to date.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a short-sighted dragon to deal with...

Atmosphere 97%
Plot 98%
Interaction 98%
Lastability 98%
Value for Money 97%
Overall 98%
Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #226
tsa
Playing character

Did I kill this thread with my review?
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #227

Well, the review gives enough elements to know immediately whether you've played the game or not. I know I haven't. (I could google for "Kerovnia" of course, but where would the fun be in that?)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 01-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #228
tsa
Playing character

Here's another piece of text about it from another website:

Quote:
The plot is devised by a philosophy student – and it shows. (If you've ever known a philosophy student, you'll know what I mean.) Most reviewers comment on the game's sense of humour. It does have a few very funny spots, but the "sense of humour" is more because of the bizarre and unrealistic events – somewhat like Monty Python. Some of it is just plain old bad taste (such as the gratuitous violence, use of alcohol, marijuana and Satanism). It is also heavily influenced by religion and politics, but you'd expect that of a philosophy student. Overall, the game feels 'immature', but I'm sure that will disappear in Magnetic Scrolls' future releases.
Remember this is from waaaay back in the mid-1980s!
Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #229
Filmfreak

I'm not even going to guess. I simply don't know...

But this is from before my time, game-wise...
Old 01-19-2012, 01:17 PM   #230
tsa
Playing character

There's a glaring hint in the second review! Come on people, you're Adventure Gamers! You don't have to have played the game to find out its name.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #231
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
There's a glaring hint in the second review! Come on people, you're Adventure Gamers! You don't have to have played the game to find out its name.
Well, the Google IS my friend, but that would take the fun out of guessing it.

Besides, I know very few games from the mid-80s. And the ones I DO know were made by Sierra...
Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #232
tsa
Playing character

This is before Sierra became big (I think it did exist already in that time). I played this game on my C=64.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 PM   #233
tsa
Playing character

Well since nobody can guess my game: it's The Pawn.
I feel old now .
Who's next?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 AM   #234
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I'll go! I miss this game... Here's a review that doesn't tell you much

Replayed it twice so far. A good game. Only hard part was analyzing specimens. Guess that's what walkthroughs are for. LOL

And another one...

The game was fun but really short. Compared to some of the previous games this was too easy. Liked the switching between **** and the ****.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:29 AM   #235
Filmfreak

Did you just do something sneaky and pick Discworld Noir?

Last edited by TimovieMan; 02-02-2012 at 03:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 AM   #236
Dreamfall Soon!

I'm guessing Nancy Drew: Creature of Kapu Cave.

Switching between Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #237
Stalker of Britain

Sherlock Holmes: Jack the Ripper?

Switching between the 1st person and 3rd person?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #238

^
That game wasn't short though
Old 02-03-2012, 01:20 AM   #239
tsa
Playing character

It's not Uru is it? Switching between 3th and 1st person?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #240
UnseenUniversity Graduate

CoyoteAG got it! Nancy Drew Creature of Kapu Cave...