You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #21

Oh no, not Samorost again What's so great about it anyway?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #22
Filmfreak

@ Fien: I saw what you did there...

Thanks for the recommendation. Obsdian is added to the list. It's at #45, though. Will take me a big long while...
Old 12-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Oh no, not Samorost again What's so great about it anyway?
I dont know either. In my opinion, Samorosts are quite overrated for an 20-40 minutes long games.

In other hand, I am hoping to see on the list some Cryo adventures - especially Dune or Commander Blood .

And its really shame, if The Lost Crown and Scratches didnt make the list. Best adventures from 2000-2010 for sure .
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolin View Post
I dont know either. In my opinion, Samorosts are quite overrated for an 20-40 minutes long games.

In other hand, I am hoping to see on the list some Cryo adventures - especially Dune or Commander Blood .

And its really shame, if The Lost Crown and Scratches didnt make the list. Best adventures from 2000-2010 for sure .
Agreed! At least one Cryo game should make it to the list, as Cryo was one of the most important adventure companies. And Scratches along with The Lost Crown were some of the best adventures of 21 century. How is it that they are overshadowed by Samorost and Drawn games?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 AM   #25
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Top whatever lists are always interesting to read and the mayhem they cause always fun to watch. It's not finished yet and I already disagree with the placing or even inclusion of more than half the games.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

I wouldn't include Scratches in a Top 100 list myself but I appreciate the mention. Then again, I wouldn't include Syberia or Cryo games either which have always been subpar but very popular (and I liked them).

That said, I definitely understand the criteria of giving importance to the popularity factor, reason why Zork, for example, would be featured even though it's pretty average.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #27
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post
I wouldn't include Scratches in a Top 100 list myself but I appreciate the mention.

You must be out of your mind: not only because you are the creator of Scratches , but because it's a great game (in it's own right). I love(d) it.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #28

Yeah, I don't know what's so great about Samorost. It's cute and all, and was a fun meme on these forums a few years ago, but top-60 material? Seriously? On the other hand, Machinarium is great, and it looks like it's going to make the top-50.

Also, it looks like that's it for Kheops, with what are arguably their two best games named today. It stings a bit that Dracula 3 ended up with the also-rans, but at least RTMI got something. I'm not sure I could make a case for putting it higher (see below), but I wish Kheops had got more recognition. They had a style of their own, and I really miss them.

And now for the fun part. I went through my list of games, trying to guess what could be in the top-50. And when you realise that some series have several games which deserve their own spot in the list, it starts filling up really fast...

BASS, BS1, Conquests of the Longbow, DOTT, Discworld Noir, Full Throttle, GK1, GK2, GK3 (yes, all three of them), Ghost Trick, Grim Fandango, Last Window, Indy FoA, KQ3, KQ6, TLE, TLJ, SH serrated scalpel, Lost Horizon (?), Machinarium, MoS, MI1, MI2, MI3, Tales of MI, Myst, Riven, Neverhood (hopefully), PW1, PW3, Portal 2, Layton (those count as one; they're all the same), QfG4, S&M HtR, S&M season 2, S&M TDP, Sanitarium, SQ3, SQ5, Still Life, Syberia, Tex TPD, Tex UaKM or Overseer (possibly both?), Zork GI.

That's 45 games! And I am sure there are good ones I haven't played yet which will end up on the list (at least Heavy Rain and LA Noire). So it's hard to argue that this or that game should be ranked higher, since there are lots of contenders for the top spots already. Well, we'll see next week what we'll get.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #29

Quote:
I wouldn't include Scratches in a Top 100 list myself but I appreciate the mention.
That's charmingly modest of you . I hope Asylum is going well, it's one of the games I'm looking forward to most in the new year.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

I'm not being modest, just realistic

But yes, we're working very hard to make sure that Asylum is Top 100 material. Or at least Top 101.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #31
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
BASS, BS1, Conquests of the Longbow, DOTT, Discworld Noir, Full Throttle, GK1, GK2, GK3 (yes, all three of them), Ghost Trick, Grim Fandango, Last Window, Indy FoA, KQ3, KQ6, TLE, TLJ, SH serrated scalpel, Lost Horizon (?), Machinarium, MoS, MI1, MI2, MI3, Tales of MI, Myst, Riven, Neverhood (hopefully), PW1, PW3, Portal 2, Layton (those count as one; they're all the same), QfG4, S&M HtR, S&M season 2, S&M TDP, Sanitarium, SQ3, SQ5, Still Life, Syberia, Tex TPD, Tex UaKM or Overseer (possibly both?), Zork GI.

That's 45 games! And I am sure there are good ones I haven't played yet which will end up on the list (at least Heavy Rain and LA Noire).
Yeah, something like that. (KQ3 was already in the you-might-also-like section.) I have my doubts about MoS and Layton. Would prefer Rose Tattoo to Serrated Scalpel.

I expect (but what do I know... ) there will be only one representative of all those series, except without a doubt KQ, and probably GK, Myst and MI. So just one Tex, one SQ, one PH, etcetera to make room for The Longest Journey, Journeyman Project 3, Blackstone Chronicles, Last Express, perhaps Blade Runner.

How could you forget TLE?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurufinwe View Post
Someone needs glasses...
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 12-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #33

Quote:
I wouldn't include Scratches in a Top 100 list myself but I appreciate the mention. Then again, I wouldn't include Syberia or Cryo games either which have always been subpar but very popular (and I liked them).

That said, I definitely understand the criteria of giving importance to the popularity factor, reason why Zork, for example, would be featured even though it's pretty average.
I'm not saying this because of who you are, but I absolutely think Scratches is at least a Top 50 AG of all time.

I disagree about Syberia as well. Great story, great environments, great music, and solid gameplay/puzzles.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #34
Codger

Only problem I have with the list so far is that Callahan's Crosstime Saloon did not give credit to Josh Mandel. All other games so far have credited authors/designers/publishers. This one missed it.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #35
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

You must be out of your mind: not only because you are the creator of Scratches , but because it's a great game (in it's own right). I love(d) it.
Except they decided to go the extra step and publish the "Director's Cut" which, due to the video requirements in the latter, made it unplayable for many who bought it based on the original demo. I was one. That wasted money will make it disapointing if Scratches even makes the top 300.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #36
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Only problem I have with the list so far is that Callahan's Crosstime Saloon did not give credit to Josh Mandel. All other games so far have credited authors/designers/publishers. This one missed it.
ROTFL! Yeah, authors/designers/publishers, but not all three for each and every game. In the case of Callahan's the credit went to Legend Entertainment.

In the eternal LucasArts vs. Sierra debates, Legend Entertainment is often unfairly overlooked, as their games were consistently smart, entertaining, and superbly produced.

And did you notice that your protege's name was mentioned elsewhere on the list? Did you?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 PM   #37
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
Someone needs glasses...
Oops! Bad Fien! I lost my beloved TLE in your alphabet soup.
Bad, bad Fien!
Old 12-24-2011, 02:11 AM   #38

Yeah....999 is not going to make the list. I think 'you wil also like' games will not get their own spot. Otherwise Heavy Rain would be mentioned under Indigo Prophecy.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #39

Fien, what is PH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolin View Post
Oh, i totally forgot about Cryo They're somehow in the similar position like Kheops for instance - without the big names, but with many solid titles. That's why they're often overlooked. But at least Atlantis 1 or 2 could make it, if anything - for the great music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I have my doubts about MoS and Layton
I think both will make it, especially at least one Layton as it's sort of representative of a "modern" puzzle games. Talking of more recent titles, Machinarium and TWW should most probably squeeze in, it would be interesting to see where exactly.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #40

Quote:
I wouldn't include Scratches in a Top 100 list myself but I appreciate the mention. Then again, I wouldn't include Syberia or Cryo games either which have always been subpar but very popular (and I liked them)
Syberia is a product of modern marketing technoligies. Scratches on the other hand is an indie and a tribute to classical 70-80s horror. I think the fact that it was appriciated by both new generation and old-school crowd makes it way cooler than most commercial titles. And of course it's one of the few quality horrors out there. It's a Top 100 material, live with it)