Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   A question of value. (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30232-question-value.html)

Texas 12-22-2011 03:09 PM

A question of value.

Their are many threads on this forum asking for the communities help in selecting which game to play next. I would like to take a diffrent angle on the same concept. I have four games that Iam trying to decide between. La Noire, Broken Sword II, Tex Murphy Pandora Directive, and GK2. The catch hear is that I havent purchased any of these games yet. I can get Tex, GK2 or BSII from GOG for $2.99 each or I could get LA Noire from a big box store for around $50. Which of these games do you thing would provide the most value for the money?

diego 12-22-2011 03:25 PM

La Noire might be a good, even an excellent game on it's own, but you named 3 of the very best ags (wait for the Top 100 if you don't trust me :D )

So yeah, $2.99 is a bargain

zobraks 12-22-2011 03:42 PM

The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery (or any other GK adventure) wins hands down!

zane 12-22-2011 05:06 PM

Yeah, as said, l.a. noire is a very good game. But pandora directive and GK2 are amazing. You could definitely wait till la noire is cheaper.

Siddhi 12-22-2011 09:47 PM

It depends on how desperate you are to play the game!

If you get it at launch you pay a premium at $50. If you wait for a sale (it was a daily deal on the current steam sale a few days ago) then it might come down to $30. Wait a year more and next sale its down to $10. So it depends on whether you can wait or not.

I generally play games that are a few years old. Then by the time I'm done with those, the current games are a few years old :D

I might make an exception for L.A.Noire though. Generally boxed adventures are not available in stores where I live, but since L.A.Noire is published by Rockstar, its on the shelves. The box version is available in stores here for $18 :)

TimovieMan 12-22-2011 11:38 PM

You can get a shitload of awesome AGs for the price of one L.A. Noire.

I'd go for the quantity, because that particular quantity really is quality...

Seriously, if you have a budget of 50$, why get 1 good new game, if you can get 15 great old games?

fov 12-23-2011 10:03 AM

The price will drop on LA Noire. I bought it for $40 on PS3 soon after came out (that was a great price at the time!) and now Amazon has it for $18. I wouldn't have minded except the game didn't really grip me and I still haven't finished it. I should have waited.

But that's me. If that's the game you really want and you have the money, then sure, treat yourself. But since it sounds like there are others you're also interested in, I'd buy the cheaper games first and wait for a price drop. :D

(GK2 is one of my all-time favorites, by the way...)

Texas 12-28-2011 05:04 AM

Thanks for the feedback every one. Seems the clear choice is to pass on LA Noir for now. Now I just have to decide between BSII and GKII.

DustyShinigami 12-28-2011 06:20 AM

GK2, definitely! I love both Broken Sword and Gabriel Knight, but GK2 is much better than BS2!

Tiocfaidh 12-28-2011 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas (Post 596557)
Thanks for the feedback every one. Seems the clear choice is to pass on LA Noir for now. Now I just have to decide between BSII and GKII.

Gabriel Knight 2 !!!

For Christ´s sake ;)

And that´s coming from a huge fan of the first Broken Sword game.

louiedog 12-28-2011 07:40 AM

The original release of LA Noire dropped in price pretty quickly on consoles and has been as low as $10. The PC version is only $37.50 right now from Steam. The Complete Edition on 360 is already down to $30 on Amazon. If you wait couple of months I'm sure you'll be able to get any version for $20.

Siddhi 12-31-2011 06:32 PM

LA Noire is $12 on steam today

Zorkman 01-01-2012 05:52 AM

GK2 is one of my favourite Adventures, even though I haven't played it for years. The only other one of the four I have played is Broken Sword 2, which although good, isn't in the same league as the first game, though looks similar. Forced you down a certain route too much for my taste.