Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gray matter 2 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30219-gray-matter-2-a.html)

ycioannidis 12-17-2011 12:17 PM

Gray matter 2

Has anybody heard any rumors about gray matter 2? I haven't heard anything from Jane since the game was released in the US. Did it sell well? Has Jane given any interviews? There is also great silence about King's Quest series from Telltale. Has this project been cancelled?
Thanks,:)
Yannis

zane 12-17-2011 03:06 PM

id say the chances of a gray matter 2 are roughly 0%. I dont believe it sold well, but then it was also marketed pretty poorly. And it took them so long to finish gray matter....
The telltale KQ on the other hand, is most likely on the way.

Stuart 12-17-2011 04:35 PM

Jane Jansen is quite elusive and finding post-Gray Matter comments/interviews by her has been very difficult.

I remember it was met with a mixed reaction on here but I personally loved it and felt it was one of the most polished and interesting adventure games in years. I would love a sequel or at least more games like this that aren't so cliched and have unique storylines that keep you interested. But what seems clear is that the game did not sell well at all which seems more down to horrendous marketing by its publishers than the quality of game itself. No real promotion, no appearance on Steam where more and more PC gamers are basing their purchases now, and so on.

Graphically it may be the most beautiful AG ever - in my opinion of course. Some of the locations were amazing even if the character animations weren't. And the soundtrack was sublime and still sticks in my head.

dbringer 12-19-2011 10:45 AM

Gray Matter aside, this was announced a while ago:

http://www.postudios.com/cognition/

millenia 12-21-2011 02:32 AM

Ooo, is that a full fledged adventure or some kind of hidden object hybrid like the WMC games?

Gabe 12-22-2011 12:54 AM

No second Grey Matter why doesnt matter.

MartyMcFly 12-22-2011 03:14 AM

"Is Gray Matter a game you would like to create a sequel to in the future?

Yes, I certainly hope so."

The above quote is taken from an interview I conducted with Jane Jensen earlier this year, full interview here:

Jane Jensen Interview (Game Designer, Gabriel Knight Trilogy/Gray Matter) - Alternative Magazine Online

TopCat 12-22-2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 595770)
id say the chances of a gray matter 2 are roughly 0%. I dont believe it sold well, but then it was also marketed pretty poorly. And it took them so long to finish gray matter....
The telltale KQ on the other hand, is most likely on the way.

Source ?! And don't say VGChartz, because as far as PC sales are concerned , unless it's a massive release, like Skyrim f.e., they suck!

MartyMcFly 12-22-2011 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbringer (Post 595884)
Gray Matter aside, this was announced a while ago:

http://www.postudios.com/cognition/

Funny you should mention that game, I've also recently interviewed Katie Hallahan and Cesar Bittar from Phoenix Online, who are making Cognition in collaboration with Jane Jensen!

Katie Hallahan and Cesar Bittar (Phoenix Online Studios) Interview - Alternative Magazine Online

TopCat, I agree that VGChartz isn't the most reliable source for smaller game sales. Plus, although Gray Matter is now difficult to buy a physical copy of (at least here in the UK), it is still readily available from a wide range of digital distributors such as GamersGate and Lace Mamba Global.

AnneS 12-22-2011 05:00 AM

I actually just finished playing Gray Matter yesterday and I'd love to see a sequel. I've played better adventure games, but none that was quite so on my wavelength.

Ascovel 12-22-2011 05:19 AM

During the announcement of Cognition at Phoenix Studios Jane said that she has all the IP rights to Gray Matter and that the key thing now is securing a good deal with a publisher (or something to that effect).

She also subtly hinted that she may be in talks on Gabriel Knight (Telltale?).

TopCat 12-22-2011 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartyMcFly (Post 596113)
TopCat, I agree that VGChartz isn't the most reliable source for smaller game sales. Plus, although Gray Matter is now difficult to buy a physical copy of (at least here in the UK), it is still readily available from a wide range of digital distributors such as GamersGate and Lace Mamba Global.

Gray Matter would have sold a lot more if it was available on Steam. :)

zane 12-22-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopCat (Post 596107)
Source ?! And don't say VGChartz, because as far as PC sales are concerned , unless it's a massive release, like Skyrim f.e., they suck!

firstly, i dont need a source for saying "i dont believe it sold well", the source is me, i dont believe it ;)

secondly, do you think it sold well? As far as i know the game wasnt on shelves anywhere in the US, you had to buy it online, and it wasnt on steam. While those reporting sites arent accurate, theyr not automatically more accurate for big releases.

SpeedBo 12-22-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 596145)
As far as i know the game wasnt on shelves anywhere in the US, you had to buy it online, and it wasnt on steam.

Actually they did have it in Walmart for a while.

Collector 12-22-2011 02:43 PM

Walmart is where I got my copy.

zane 12-22-2011 04:09 PM

did you do site-to-store? or were they actually stocking shelves with it???
Because i checked with walmart when it came out and they said they were only doing site-to-store.
edit: in fact, if i could still find a physical copy locally id buy it to have another copy :|

Collector 12-22-2011 05:29 PM

It was on the shelf. Did not have to ask for it or anything. There were several copies among all of the other stocked games.

Stuart 12-22-2011 07:39 PM

I'd guess the best hope for Gray Matter 2 might come from Germany (publisher)? It seems to be the only country in the world where AGs are in huge demand and still a popular genre among gamers, hence why so many AGs nowadays seem to be coming from there.

rtrooney 12-23-2011 07:31 PM

Please! No Grey Matter 2. The first was such a disappointment that a sequel could only make (grey) matters worse.

TopCat 12-26-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 596145)
firstly, i dont need a source for saying "i dont believe it sold well", the source is me, i dont believe it ;)

secondly, do you think it sold well? As far as i know the game wasnt on shelves anywhere in the US, you had to buy it online, and it wasnt on steam. While those reporting sites arent accurate, theyr not automatically more accurate for big releases.

The game probably sold well in EUROPE... AG's are not that big in the Americas anymore. That's why most AGs are made by European developers and it usually takes AGES for an adventure game to get localized in English.