You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Which games did you finish in 2011?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #41
The Quiet One

I forgot to add Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse to my list...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #42

ahhh i like this thread!

Portal 2 - One of the most amazing games! Definitely earned its place in the Top 100 Adventure games Top 10.

Bioshock 2 - I Love the Bioshock series! Not as good as the first but still an amazing story and was so exciting to return to Rapture!

Enslaved - again, another action game that is heavily story driven. Beautiful, funny, emotional.

Black Mirror 3 - I guess it was hard to beat the second game when it came to its insane drama. and the third game (hopefully not last) became a disappointment. With a rushed and boring conclusion. Still parts were creepy as hell though!

Jurassic Park Okay, but not great. The action sequences got boring, and although some liked the way it was played, I would have preferred to control the character like you could in Fahrenheit/Heavy Rain. It was just a disappointment that nearly the whole game was those sequences, and the rest you could only control the camera angle.

The Last Express Lord knows why i've only just played this game in 2011. But it was absolutely fantastic. So different and exciting!

Lost Horizon Had to play this game in one long play-through as I couldn't get it to save without crashing But such a good game. was this game in the top 100? IT SHOULD BE. It was the epitome of an ADVENTURE game. Very indiana jones like!

Kings Quest 1, 2 and 3 Redux's - So glad that these games were remade! I don't think I could have ever brought myself to play the originals And its amazing to think that these games are fan made and FREE.
(Skipped Kings Quest 4, no remake and the graphics were hurting my eyes hehe )
Kings Quest 5 Wasn't this the one that everybody hated? I liked it... I particularly loved the owl Ha!

Back to the Future So, so. Not as good as TOMI. Still haven't played part 5 yet either..

L.A Noire Didn't know what all the fuss was about... i thought it was boring.

Brutal Legend If you liked tim schafers psychonauts, you will like this
Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #43
cookie monster

My second half of 2011 was very busy so I were able to complete only 61 games. Don't know how many i just tried. I'm more a FPS, action and driving gamer but I'm getting into adventures too.
So, speaking of adventures, i completed:
-Lost Horizon
-NiBiRu: Age of Secrets
-Sam & Max Hit the Road
-Runaway: A Road Adventure
-Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle
-Runaway 3: A Twist of Fate
-Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World
-Jolly Rover
-The Next BIG Thing
-Ankh (aka Ankh: Reverse the Curse)
-Ankh 2: Heart of Osiris
-Ankh 3: Battle Of The Gods
-Ankh: The Lost Treasures
-Hector: Badge of Carnage - Episode 1: We Negotiate with Terrorists
-Hector: Badge of Carnage - Episode 2: Senseless Acts of Justice
-Hector: Badge of Carnage - Episode 3: Beyond Reasonable Doom
-Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
-Emerald City Confidential
-15 Days

Partly adventures:
-Clover: A Curious Tale
-Star Sky
-Limbo
-Insecticide, Part 1

If anyone cares for my ratings or full list, let me know.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #44
Filmfreak

Update to that huge double-post of mine:

I played To the Moon last week, and "warmed up" to it by playing the free Freebird Games The Mirror Lied and Do You Remember My Lullaby? first.

I'm too lazy to post a review, so I'll just link to my post in the "To the Moon"-thread.

Do You Remember My Lullaby? - 3.5 / 5 (not really a game, though, it's a non-interactive short)
The Mirror Lied - 3.5 / 5
To the Moon - 4.5 / 5

Yes, To the Moon is awesome, and you should all play it if you haven't already. And if your eyes don't water while playing it, then you're a heartless bastard.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #45
The Quiet One

I learned about To the Moon on GameSpot because of their praise for it; it even won the 'Best Story' award I think.

I've downloaded the demo and it's just waiting for me to install it.

And yes, I've read it's pretty sad.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 01-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #46
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
And yes, I've read it's pretty sad.
"Emotional" is a better description than "sad", because it's very life-affirming at heart, and several of my tears (I cried like a baby for about half this game) were "happy tears"...
Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #47
The Quiet One

Sorry. Emotional...
Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #48

Hi everyone, first post! I love recording on my achievements so much that I had to sign up an account to do this.

In 2011 I completed:

Gemini Rue
Fallout 3 plus all the DLC
Police Quest 1 and 2 (replay)
Broken Sword 1-3 (replay)
Sam & Max Season 2 Episode 1
Back to the Future Episode 1
Puzzle Agent 2
Hector 1-3
Starcraft II campaign
Emerald City Confidential
Jolly Rover
What Makes You Tick and A Stitch in Time
Dreamfall
Portal 2
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future

Overall, a good gaming year for me, completing all the DLC, max level, and discovering all the locations in Fallout 3 was my biggest achievement.

The standout games on this list for me were Dreamfall, Portal 2, Fallout 3 and Starcraft 2. Portal 2 is my GOTY.

Last edited by Jubilee; 01-05-2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #49
Advie.1

AlterEgo - Not bad Game, interesting start , Nice Tim Character , very disappointing Detective Briscol Character. Mid difficulty.

Gray Matter :Quiet Good, but do not wait another Jensen's Gabriel Knight, Great Story though , Above Average difficulty.

Black Mirror 3 : The Best i Played this Year (an opinion) Great Twist and Turn, Not an easy Game and thats what makes even better.

The Next Big Thing : Big Title for a small game or a thing to remember , Crafted well but expect the Average difficulty of nowaday Adventure.

Alternativa : Not bad as it reminds of Blade Runner , and thats the only thing that makes it playable other Wise it a disappointing Adventure. Have some difficult Moments .

Secret Files 2 : pretty Good but get boring as u step out of the ship with Nina
Worth playing and worth the Money , Not an Average difficulty adventure.

Book Of Unwritten Tales : its a big Production which i havent seen for a while but they did not care about the old adventure game player as it target the new ones with it average difficulty that makes it also finished fast and nuthin to remember , it should have been much much better .

A New beginning : A Nice game with bad control and lots unforgettable moments though ,above Average difficulty .
Old 01-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #50
lost in rubacava

Jack Keane - Really enjoyed it and looking forward to the new one.

Black Mirror 3 - Good enough but not a patch on Black Mirror 2, IMO. The explanations at the end might have made sense but you couldn't prove it by me. And as I said once before, I got tired of Darren looking as if he'd been run over by a truck.

Last Half of Darkness: Society of the Serpent Moon - Creepy, beautiful backgrounds and most of the puzzles were well integrated into the game although a couple seemed more like filler. I had a lot of fun with it as I always do with WRF's games.

The Book of Unwritten Tales - I loved it. It was the best game to come out this past year, IMO. Wonderful graphics, every character (even the NPCs) was an individual and some, like Death in his bunny slippers, were hilarious. The ending was rushed but aside from that, I have no gripes at all about it.

Alter Ego - Actually, I didn't finish this one because I hated it. A more unlikeable bunch of characters I've never seen and when you add stupid, it was too much. Sold it to someone who regretted buying it.

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars, DC - Preferred this to the original. Great game.

Dracula: Resurrection/Dracula: Sanctuary - Despite the problems I had getting these to play, they were worth it. I doubt I'll ever forget Dorko. The graphics still hold up amazingly well.

Sherlock Holmes: Nemesis - A tough one, like most of the SH games are for me so I had to consult a walkthrough in a couple of spots, but quite good, although I got darned tired of walking around that museum.

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Once I got over Holmes accepting the idea of a creature like Cthulhu, this one kept me intrigued right up until the end. Definitely worth playing.

The Next Big Thing - Screwy. What can I say? I like screwy.

Oh, good grief, I forgot Zork, Grand Inquisitor! - One of the best games ever!

Last edited by aimless; 01-02-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #51
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestJourney View Post
I'd like to hear what you have to say about Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller because there is no review on the site. I thought it might have a chance at the "you might enjoy" in the top 100 because I heard it was quite good from another source. Also, I have the cd but I can't get it to work in Windows 7. Do you have any advice?
Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller is a DOS game, so it isn't going to work in Windows 7 without an emulator. I used DOSBox and it ran fine for the most part.

It does have an extremely frustrating arcade sequence though. What makes it painful is that the emulation speed that makes this sequence somewhat playable is so slow that every time you die and reload you have to jack up the emulation speed to get through the cutscenes and then back down again to try and beat it again or simply sit there for ages waiting. It's really tedious. Not to mention it's a terrible and utterly unnecessary action sequence that adds nothing to the game.

As for the overall game, the following review is pretty accurate in its criticism, but I wouldn't rate it quite as low. I'd probably give it half a star higher.

http://www.metzomagic.com/showArticle.php?index=34

The highlights for me were Dennis Hopper and the Hell sequences. I'm a big horror buff, so anything like that is always a big plus for me.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #52

I have played in 2011 and finished for the 1st time the following adventure games:

1) Ankh
2) Return to Mysterius Island
3) Road to India
4) Black Dahlia
5) Gilbert Goodmate
6) Alter Ego
7) Full Throttle
8) Chronicles of Mystery the Tree of Life
9) Mata Hari
10) Goin Downtown
11) Everlight
Old 01-04-2012, 06:36 AM   #53

Back to the Future - Pretty disappointed with this. I love Telltale's games and while I enjoyed the story and graphics, the gameplay took a real step backwards. I ran into a lot of bugs too which I found pretty frustrating.

Sam & Max Season 3 - The high point of Telltale's games in my opinion. Enjoyed it even more than Tales of Monkey Island. I enjoyed the puzzles, loved the story and laughed out loud a few times. This is where I started to see some bugs though.

Puzzle Agent - Good fun on the iPad but a wacky story. I didn't mind the graphics but in some of the closeups it was just downright awful.

Blue Toad Murder Files: The Mysteries of Little Riddle - Got it for cheap during last year's Steam sale. It was alright.

The Silver Lining: Episode 2,3 - I enjoyed episode 2 quite a bit but really lost interest with episode 3. Really disliked the action sequence, I recall really disliking a few puzzles and ran into a bunch of bugs and crashes. The long wait to episode 4 was a big turn off too. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to.

The Longest Journey - Played this for the first time (during the playthrough here) and really enjoyed it. Great game. I bought the sequel a few days ago on Steam and I plan to play through it soon.

Puzzle Agent 2 - Played it on the iPad again. Enjoyed it.

Curse of Monkey Island - First playthrough. Loved almost every second of it. Can't wait to try Escape.