You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Looking for casual games with excellent story...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #1

Default Looking for casual games with excellent story...

The number of casual games is a little too overwhelming for me, but I do find the genre quite addictive. So I found a way to narrow the list down by only playing the ones with an excellent story. I heard Murder in Venice had a pretty good story.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #2

I think that might be an oxymoron.

Seriously, though, I always thought the MCF: Ravenhearst games had a good story (or as good as you get with these sorts of things).
Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interplay View Post
I think that might be an oxymoron.

Seriously, though, I always thought the MCF: Ravenhearst games had a good story (or as good as you get with these sorts of things).
Totally disagree. Sacra Terra, any of the Drawn games, Faces, and I could go on and on, offer a better gaming experience that any of the Ravenhurst games. Did you ever play Black Dahlia? As great a Noir game as it was, did you get tired of playing door puzzle after door puzzle after door puzzle? That's the way it is with Ravenhurst.

As to the Venice game of the original post...It's a typical ERS game. Without breaking a sweat, this game can be played in less than two hours. Hardly worth the $$. Buy Sacra Terra!
Old 12-14-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Totally disagree. Sacra Terra, any of the Drawn games, Faces, and I could go on and on, offer a better gaming experience that any of the Ravenhurst games. Did you ever play Black Dahlia? As great a Noir game as it was, did you get tired of playing door puzzle after door puzzle after door puzzle? That's the way it is with Ravenhurst.

As to the Venice game of the original post...It's a typical ERS game. Without breaking a sweat, this game can be played in less than two hours. Hardly worth the $$. Buy Sacra Terra!
Have you played Escape from Ravenhurst, not that many door puzzles to normal puzzles ratio.

Also, i'm sorry to say but there are more casual games with good innovative untold stories than there are Adventure games with good stories.

Casual games from what I understand just like indie games, can experiment with stories more.

Ditto on Sacra Terra though.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Buy Sacra Terra!
Totally agree with you!!

As i wrote in another thread,my #1 casual game is Mystery Legends:The Phantom of the Opera.Buy it!!It's worth every penny!!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:53 AM   #6
Schattenjäger

You should get Three Cards to Midnight/ Three Cards to Dead Time by the Tex Murphy creators Aaron Conners and Chris Jones. Much better stories than the vast majority of adventure games.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 12-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #7

Thanks guys, right now I have written:

-Mystery Legends
-Terra something
-Games by Tex Murphy creators.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #8

I would strongly suggest to check out "To the moon". I'm not sure if it's considered a casual game but if what you looking for is light gameplay with excellent story I'd say it is worth a try.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #9

I am sorry guys, I meant casual game as in hidden object games. I thought those became synonym of one another among the gamers society.

But yes, I was already planning on playing to the moon. I am waiting for a price drop. =)
Bought too much off of GOG.com already this last week. >.>
Old 12-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Can't vouch for the story (barely remember anything about the game) but:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
Mystery Case Files: Ravenhearst is free again over at BigFish, with coupon code FREERAVEN (no idea for how long).
So at least the price is right.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Have you played Escape from Ravenhurst, not that many door puzzles to normal puzzles ratio.
Other than the demo, I have not played "Escape". The "morphing" objects didn't do it for me. Doubt that I will buy. But you have to admit that both "Ravenhurst" and "Return" had the never-ending door puzzles.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #12
Senior Automaton

Drawn is the only one I've liked enough to buy, and I must have liked it a lot because I've played all three games in the series. The story is the best part about it - I'm not a huge fan of hidden objects and random puzzles, although they can still be fun.