Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Ron Gilbert is working on a new game with Tim Schaffer... Here's some concept art! (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30146-ron-gilbert-working-new-game-tim-schaffer-heres-some-concept-art.html)

thejobloshow 11-29-2011 07:17 AM

Ron Gilbert is working on a new game with Tim Schaffer... Here's some concept art!

For those who may not know - Ron Gilbert is the creator of Monkey Island and Tim Schaffer is the creator of Full Throttle and founder of Double Fine, responsible for such games as Psychonauts and Brutal Legend.

Here's the quote from Gilbert's blog:

Quote:

Here are a couple of fine pieces of concept art from the game I'm making with the amazing folks at Double Fine. I'm so excited. This is an idea that has been in my head for a long long long time. It predates Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island. It's a game that needed to be made.

These are two of the playable characters. That's all I can say right now, but more will follow later.
http://grumpygamer.com/5694081

The two images hint at that LucasArts charm we've all grown accustomed to.

funkylovejunkie 11-29-2011 10:37 AM

eeeek exciting stuff dude.

Gabe 11-29-2011 11:05 AM

Exciting that Schaffer returns ag, hope Gilbert &Schaffer's game story&visuals doesnt keep targeted player age as low as Psychonauts.

Schneckchen ^.^ 11-29-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 594777)
Exciting that Schaffer returns ag, hope Gilbert &Schaffer's game story&visuals doesnt keep targeted player age as low as Psychonauts.

I hope it does... we saw what happened to Brutal Legend.

Arial Type 11-29-2011 11:23 AM

I wonder if Brutal Legend made a lot of money. I just goodles Double Fine, and their last game seems to be Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster. It doesn't sound like Tim is doing too good. The previous titles were made for Xbox Live. How is he planning to sell an original adventure game this days?

Kurufinwe 11-29-2011 01:12 PM

Does he actually say it's an adventure game?

Monolith 11-29-2011 01:27 PM

I don't recall him saying its an adventure game.

Sadly, I don't care. Anything from Tim and Ron will kill me with happiness. :)

Loved Brutal Legends, Costume Quest, Psychonauts, and Stacking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 594779)
The previous titles were made for Xbox Live. How is he planning to sell an original adventure game this days?

Releasing on Xbox Live is not bad at all. The best way to make money in my opinion. The difference is like Releasing a film on DVD instead of Theaters. The ratio of profit is much lower when released in theaters.

thejobloshow 11-29-2011 02:20 PM

Quote:

I wonder if Brutal Legend made a lot of money.

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales...brutal-legend/

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales...brutal-legend/
'
According to the sales data, Brutal Legend sold just over 1.5 million copies. Not bad for a new IP.

Jannik 11-29-2011 04:29 PM

VGChartz has a bad reputation regarding sales numbers, because if they don't have real numbers they're instead doing an estimate. So numbers from them should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

According to Wikipedia, EA canceled the sequel, so I guess the game didn't sell a lot, but other things could be a factor as well.

For the Ron Gilbert game, they have said that it will probably make adventure fans happy, without confirming anything. So I guess it could be a "pure" adventure game or just have elements from adventure games :)

zane 11-29-2011 05:49 PM

Would be amazing if they were doing a new adventure game. But the phrase "playable characters" doesnt make me think adventure.
Unfortunately i havnt had the chance to play brutal legends (or their other console-only titles).. but it sounded like brutal legends didnt sell well at all and everyone i talked to was not happy with it (i still hope to play it eventually regardless)

fov 11-29-2011 06:09 PM

Quote:

I wonder if Brutal Legend made a lot of money. I just goodles Double Fine, and their last game seems to be Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster. It doesn't sound like Tim is doing too good. The previous titles were made for Xbox Live. How is he planning to sell an original adventure game this days?

After Brutal Legend, Double Fine made a decision to move away from AAA games and focus on "smaller" games that could go to market more quickly. More details here (and various other places on the internet, if you Google "amnesia fortnight.")

Whether this game they're working on is an adventure game or not, I personally hope it's going to be downloadable and independently published. It's more likely to see the light of day that way. After all the publisher drama Psychonauts and Brutal Legend had, a big budget Tim Schafer / Ron Gilbert game seems like it would be doomed from the start...

Arial Type 11-29-2011 06:57 PM

Ah yes, thank you for the links! Personally, I don't have anything against small projects and Xbxox Live. I just didn't know how profitable is this niche nowdays. And it's even better if Tim feels all right about casual games.

I just don't wish to see the two masterminds wasting their time and skills (and money) on something that is doomed to fail. And what can
Quote:

an idea that has been in my head for a long long long time. It predates Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island
possibly mean if not an adventure-related game? Ron started his career with adventure games.

TimovieMan 11-30-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 594805)
Would be amazing if they were doing a new adventure game. But the phrase "playable characters" doesnt make me think adventure.

Why not? It's just a figure of speech, imo. For instance, Day of the Tentacle had 3 playable characters...

Monolith 11-30-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 594814)
Why not? It's just a figure of speech, imo. For instance, Day of the Tentacle had 3 playable characters...

Keep in mind that any feature the goes a stray from a very strict idea of an adventure game is not an adventure game at all.

Udvarnoky 11-30-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 594807)
And what can
Quote:

an idea that has been in my head for a long long long time. It predates Maniac Mansion and Monkey Island
possibly mean if not an adventure-related game? Ron started his career with adventure games.

Maybe so, maybe no. When discussing the genesis of Maniac Mansion, Ron has stated that he had the idea for the game before he even knew what genre it was going to be made in.

thejobloshow 11-30-2011 04:05 PM

I'd say the odds for an adventure game are pretty strong considering Ron Gilbert has been working on adventure games for most of his career at LucasArts and Humongous. If you go by his credits, there's less of a chance this game will be pure action than a traditional adventure game.

TimovieMan 11-30-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 594853)
Keep in mind that any feature the goes a stray from a very strict idea of an adventure game is not an adventure game at all.

Wut? :crazy:

Monolith 12-01-2011 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 594866)
Wut? :crazy:

Its a generalization. Have you not seen any comments on what makes a game an adventure? So many of them fall in line with the general point and click formula, yet the gameplay itself is still there, which a lot of people ignore. Just like the idea that the new XCOM game isn't an XCOM game and so on. A lot of people don't give much buffer room for games defined to a genre.

TimovieMan 12-01-2011 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monolith (Post 594873)
Its a generalization. Have you not seen any comments on what makes a game an adventure? So many of them fall in line with the general point and click formula, yet the gameplay itself is still there, which a lot of people ignore. Just like the idea that the new XCOM game isn't an XCOM game and so on. A lot of people don't give much buffer room for games defined to a genre.

If that were true, then games like Heavy Rain or L.A. Noire or even a visual novel like 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors wouldn't get their own threads in this part of the forum, imo.

While some of those games are described as being more of a 'hybrid' rather than a 'true' adventure game, they are still considered to be adventure games, if you ask me, but YMMV.

In other words: potayto, potahto... :D

Monolith 12-01-2011 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 594877)
If that were true, then games like Heavy Rain or L.A. Noire or even a visual novel like 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors wouldn't get their own threads in this part of the forum, imo.

While some of those games are described as being more of a 'hybrid' rather than a 'true' adventure game, they are still considered to be adventure games, if you ask me, but YMMV.

In other words: potayto, potahto... :D

Well you haven't seen many of the posts on those games. There was another Heavy Rain thread about if its an Adventure game or not. I think same for LA Noire, unless that was this thread early on. Why did it have to be the subject of discussion? Both games relied heavily on adventure game mechanics, nuff said. But I diff find some posts like 'Too much action' or 'Why do I have to drive?'. It isn't potayto or potahto when the potayto is claimed to be a tomato by stubborn gamers with blinders on.

What I'm saying is that new features or old ones that aren't grounded in any genre like 'Multiple Characters', manifest itself in a genre that usually doesn't evolve 'adventure', you will find more people to be up in arms or confused or stubborn about it, and sometimes say 'this ain't no adventure game'. Just sayin.