You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ron Gilbert is working on a new game with Tim Schaffer... Here's some concept art!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 PM   #21
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Why did it have to be the subject of discussion? Both games relied heavily on adventure game mechanics, nuff said.
I agree completely. But then again, I like playing RPGs as well, just as long as the story's the most important aspect...

Quote:
But I diff find some posts like 'Too much action' or 'Why do I have to drive?'.
Both are skippable if you let your partner drive or if you fail 3 times. But that's preaching to the choir...

Quote:
It isn't potayto or potahto when the potayto is claimed to be a tomato by stubborn gamers with blinders on.

What I'm saying is that new features or old ones that aren't grounded in any genre like 'Multiple Characters', manifest itself in a genre that usually doesn't evolve 'adventure', you will find more people to be up in arms or confused or stubborn about it, and sometimes say 'this ain't no adventure game'. Just sayin.
You have a point there. But if some people refuse to play things like Heavy Rain or L.A. Noire because it's - in their mind - not an adventure game, then it's their loss, imo.

Edit:
And if they're already calling the new game by Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer "not an adventure" solely based on the fact that it'll have multiple playable characters, then that's just ignorant, imo.

Last edited by TimovieMan; 12-01-2011 at 11:34 PM. Reason: added last paragraph as a bridge to get back on topic :)
Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I agree completely. But then again, I like playing RPGs as well, just as long as the story's the most important aspect...

Both are skippable if you let your partner drive or if you fail 3 times. But that's preaching to the choir...

You have a point there. But if some people refuse to play things like Heavy Rain or L.A. Noire because it's - in their mind - not an adventure game, then it's their loss, imo.

Edit:
And if they're already calling the new game by Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer "not an adventure" solely based on the fact that it'll have multiple playable characters, then that's just ignorant, imo.
Agreed. Dreamfall is another contender that somehow is considered an Adventure game, yet games closer to being an Adventure are burned at the stake....well to some or many.

Anyways, Im looking forward to seeing what Ron and Tim have up their sleeves.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 12-02-2011, 01:12 AM   #23
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Anyways, Im looking forward to seeing what Ron and Tim have up their sleeves.
^ This.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:41 AM   #24

If my 65 year old dad can't play it, it's not an adventure game. Stuff like LA Noire and Heavy Rain are action games with very light adventure elements in them.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #25

Ron and Tim together again?

*head explodes*

Yes please.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
If my 65 year old dad can't play it, it's not an adventure game.
I'd just say they were an adventure game your dad wasn't very good at.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure View Post
I'd just say they were an adventure game your dad wasn't very good at.
lol, I wonder how many times he would of died at the part where Gabriel Knight has to fight of the clay zombies in Sins of the Fathers. I guess that game isn't an adventure either.

Or maybe Police Quest 2, with all those 'fast thinking' moments. Guess that is far from an Adventure game too.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/