You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Your BIGGEST adventure sins!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #61
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Oh come on! Ashamed, you say? I can only echo what so many other posters have said over the years: I envy you that you still have those marvelous adventures to enjoy. I can only replay them and that's not the same thing.
Is it that surprising that I'm ashamed that I've never played some of the biggest and most beloved adventure titles ever, even though I call myself an adventure gamer?

I also call myself a filmfreak and serious movie buff. But there are certain classic films I've never seen, and I really am ashamed to admit that I haven't seen them.

It's a pride thing.

Also, if you leave some amount of time between replays, then the nostalgia-factor can add some enjoyment to it. I've had a blast replaying all those LucasArts games these last two months, and I'm currently loving my replay of Grim Fandango. I'm sure I'll enjoy my Monkey Island replays just as much.

I don't envy people that have yet to discover those games. I'd sooner think they were missing something. Hence I think that I've missed something when I haven't played those games...

A matter of perspective, imo.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:08 AM   #62
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
A matter of perspective, imo.
Absolutely.

About the nostalgia factor... when I started playing adventures in 1986, I was totally hooked on Sierra games. I played all the Quest series (except for the 4 quest for glory games with their roleplaying elements), every single Larry game, etcetera. And now I can't stand them anymore! I remember how much fun I had with Sir Graham, Rosella, Gwydion. I even tried to replay KQ6 recently, but it was too boring.

But... I thoroughly enjoyed the free AGD remake of KQ3 this year. They added so much extra stuff, enhanced the story, and still were faithful to the original. I did feel nostalgia when I played it. How's that for irony?
Old 11-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #63
The Quiet One

I didn't (and don't) think much of The Last Express. And because I couldn't get into it and kept failing to do something, I used a walkthrough throughout the rest of it.

I don't like Myst, Myst-like games, and Myst-like puzzles.

Apart from Gabriel Knight, I've never played any of the Sierra games nor am I particularly bothered about doing so either; the graphics, deaths and dead ends put me off.

I've never completed Maniac Mansion or Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, nor have I played Zak McKracken, Loom and The Dig despite owning and playing the rest of LucasArts' catalog.

Nine times out of ten, today's adventure games just don't interest me.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #64
The Magnificent

My one big sin - I don't like to play old games!

Even if they are classical "must play" games, and i somehow missed them when they were originally published. I also never replay any of my old favorites.

Oh - and then there are the walkthroughs.
I keep telling myself, this time i will solve it all on my own, but then i get stuck, and once you have the walkthrough - it so hard not take take a peek.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #65

I guess this is one of those sins I'm "proud" of, but it's one that gets me nasty looks:
Curse of Monkey Island is my least favorite Monkey Island game, and I found it to be a pretty big disappointment.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:42 PM   #66

My biggest sin? That it's taken me this long to get around to registering on AdventureGamers.com.

And I love "Escape from Monkey Island."

...and I have a soft spot for "Magna Cum Laude".
Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #67
3rd person fanatic :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Somehow our "sins" have turned into things we're proud of.
Well that was expectable
Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakana View Post
I guess this is one of those sins I'm "proud" of, but it's one that gets me nasty looks:
Curse of Monkey Island is my least favorite Monkey Island game, and I found it to be a pretty big disappointment.
Someone start the fire, i'll get the pitchforks
Old 12-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #69
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Calavera View Post
Someone start the fire, i'll get the pitchforks
Just send El Pollo Diablo after him...
Old 12-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #70
J.H
Frak.

I've never played a Gabriel Knight game, I hate Myst and Syberia and refuse to play the new version of BS2.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #71
Codger

Oh! I forgot to mention...I really like Casual Games as well as standard adventures.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #72

Full Throttle and Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis are the only "classic" adventure games I've played.

If I break down and use the walkthrough just once I will become a walkthrough junkie and use it throughout the remainder. It's like I've given up on the challenge or something.

I can't stand not having voice acting.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #73
Psychonaut

My biggest adventure sin is the fact that I don't think I have played more than one adventure game in about 2 years.

I have bought a bunch, but never played them.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:35 PM   #74
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Mine are pretty bad, read at your own risk...

- I've become so detached from gaming that I haven't completed any commercial adventure game released after 2008.

- I hated Myst so much, that whenever I used to come across it or one of its clones on a store shelf, I would move them to another section or hide them behind boxes of other genres.

- As big a Sierra fanboy that I am, I never really liked the King's Quest series all that much.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #75

I think my biggest Adventure Game sin is that I've never finished a King's Quest, Space Quest or Leisure Suit Larry game and have no intention of doing so. I haven't played the Gabriel Knight games, either, but I at least plan to play them. Never did when they first came out because my younger brother was my gaming partner and there was no way my parents were going to let a ten-year-old near Sins of the Fathers. (Which is fair enough.) I was always more of a LucasArts gal during the Golden Age.

If hating Myst is a sin, then I am a sinner. (I don't have anything against it or think it ruined the genre, it's just really not my thing.)

I have plenty of other adventure gaming regrets and a long list of games I've never had the change to play, but I'm slowly catching up. (I also can't see my inability to acquire a copy of The Pandora Directive as a teenager in rural Australia as a sin, exactly.)
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #76
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
I hated Myst so much, that whenever I used to come across it or one of its clones on a store shelf, I would move them to another section or hide them behind boxes of other genres.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonchi, meet John Walker.

Good grief, I hate stinking Myst. And I hate anyone who likes it. I hate you, and your ghastly taste. If this was good enough – if this was what you wanted from gaming – then I hope the litany of miserable clone games that destroyed the joy of adventuring has made you very happy. Every time I receive a game to review that requires me to read its entire plot from a digital pile of horribly written “books”, I turn and look at you with such piteous contempt that your mothers want to disown you.

(Retrospective: Myst, by John Walker)
Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 PM   #77

I almost always use dialogue subtitles and read them while skipping lines of speech. I really appreciate voice acting but doing this honestly can save a few hours per game. I still get all the info and dialogue, and I let some conversations play out.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 AM   #78
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
I hated Myst so much, that whenever I used to come across it or one of its clones on a store shelf, I would move them to another section or hide them behind boxes of other genres.
Name:  eek.gif
Views: 201
Size:  1.2 KBName:  wondering.gif
Views: 208
Size:  1.1 KBName:  blink.gif
Views: 204
Size:  1.0 KB
If I were Stepurhan this quote would be permanently displayed at Adventure Gamers home page (although I couldn't disagree more with Gonchi - I LOVEd Myst ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walker
Good grief, I hate stinking Myst. And I hate anyone who likes it. I hate you, and your ghastly taste. If this was good enough – if this was what you wanted from gaming – then I hope the litany of miserable clone games that destroyed the joy of adventuring has made you very happy.
I don't understand people like this guy: if you don't like something the easiest way to deal with it is to skip it. After reading the quote I got the impression someone had wringed Mr. Walker's ear(s) in order to make him play Myst. I see no other explanation.

Last edited by zobraks; 12-09-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #79

My biggest sin is that I have never finished any Rhem game. Always gets me frustrated and they are the only adventure games that do.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:21 AM   #80

My biggest sin is that I HATE any and all First Person adventures.