You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Your BIGGEST adventure sins!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 AM   #41
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annacat View Post
*I occasionally use Nigel Danvers phrases in conversation with strangers in the hopes they'll notice and we'll talk adventure games. So far no one has noticed.
I do this with Monkey Island... I just get weird looks. But there is a pleasure from elbowing my family out of the way in the kitchen and saying 'Outta the way or I cuts me way through!'
Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 AM   #42
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_93 View Post
I do this with Monkey Island... I just get weird looks. But there is a pleasure from elbowing my family out of the way in the kitchen and saying 'Outta the way or I cuts me way through!'
I've caught myself saying, "I am in need of something" or "Perfect! Now, on to the next thing" and getting some odd looks. Wait until I try to stuff a rolling ladder in my back pocket.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #43

i really like both phantasmagoria games. i think that's a bbit of a sin
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #44

I stopped midway through grim fandango as well.. and disliked GK3 immensely, so I stopped it not far in.. though I did like the first 2.

I didn't make it more than 5 minutes into Dreamfall though loved TLJ. Couldn't summon the energy to play Syberia 2, since the first 1 was so sterile.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:05 AM   #45

I've never played a GK, Monkey Island, or Broken Sword Game (though I love the stories of them all).
I started playing the first two Darkfall games and never finished them.
I have never played a game without using a walkthrough or hint system.
I have a huge crush of Gabriel Knight
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #46
Senior *female* member

Wow! So if you hate a game somebody else loves (or vice versa) that's a sin?
Liking the end game in Obsidian is a sin? I take back everything I posted about my snowy white adventure soul... it must be pitch black after all these years.

- Played far too many games. I should get a life or something.
- Love FMV adventures. Yes, LOVE. Real humans, real facial expression, natural movements. I should eagerly look to the future of 3D, I know.
- Haven't finished Gray Matter. Got bored.
- The MI series is just okay in my book, nothing special. Played all of them, but the har!har!har! humor is not for me.
- The BS series is just okay in my book, certainly nothing special. I never understood why everybody is raving about the first one.
- Every time I read something about Myst killing the adventure genre, I get really worked up and have to sit on my hands.
- I use walkthroughs, oh yes I do!
- I liked the end game in Obsidian a lot.

PS: Oh, and don't get me started on Kate Walker.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #47
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromus View Post
I have never been able to get into the RHEM games.
Ugh, those are my most-hated games. It said on the cover, "Myst fans rejoice!", so I bought it without looking up reviews/screenshots or anything. I was not rejoicing! All of the backgrounds were just grey, brown, and dull, and I've never been good at mathmatical puzzles. And the story/characters from Myst were much better...hated Rhem.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #48
Flower bower bird

True confessions:
1 - I have never played an adventure game I didn't like, including...wait for it...Adventure at the Chateau d'Or.

2 - I love mazes.

3 - I don't mind sliders and Tower of Hanoi puzzles.

4 - Every game I have started, I have finished.

I have bared my soul. Please be gentle with me.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #49

I think I can beat everyone.

I never finished playing Lula 3D!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:32 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Every time I read something about Myst killing the adventure genre, I get really worked up and have to sit on my hands.
- I use walkthroughs, oh yes I do!
Now I see it! Walkthroughs killed adventure genre. Simple as that.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #51
Myst-loving person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Ugh, those are my most-hated games. It said on the cover, "Myst fans rejoice!", so I bought it without looking up reviews/screenshots or anything. I was not rejoicing! All of the backgrounds were just grey, brown, and dull, and I've never been good at mathmatical puzzles. And the story/characters from Myst were much better...hated Rhem.
I didn't like Rhem either, in spite of being in the target group as a Myst fan. I bought it because a review I read said it was like Riven, but... it isn't.

I found the landscape very repetitive and boringly industrial, and the story and characters were so nonexistent that the plot (such as it was) didn't capture my interest or concern. What drew me into the Myst series was a fascination with the landscape and caring about what would happen in the story. None of my favourite aspects of the Myst series were in Rhem, and I didn't enjoy Rhem for its own sake.

I didn't confess that as a sin because the opinion on Rhem seems split anyway, but maybe as a Myst fan I should.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #52
Senior *female* member

Somehow our "sins" have turned into things we're proud of.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #53
Stalker of Britain

I agree; I'm proud of all mine!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #54
Flower bower bird

Quote:
Heh. I am compulsive and stubborn in my game playing, which is why I have to finish any game I start. I may beat my head against the wall for most of a game but when I finally finish, I'm ready to go back for more torture. These are indeed my faults, but I guess I am proud of them.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #55
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I strongly believe that games which leave their most essential sub-plots without satisfying resolutions can be said to have bad storylines based solely on that one factor (even if the storytelling throughout is engrossing).

I enjoy shorter adventure games. In fact I find it extremely useful to have games that I know I can finish over a short period of time.

I don't feel ripped off because of buying an adventure game, well, ever! I feel the publisher is allowed to put any prices on their games they want and the market keeps them from making too unreasonable decisions.

I peek into walkthroughs a lot (well, about 1 time per game), but I somehow don't feel it's much of a sin these days. More people should ease up about it.

I can't keep up with all the adventure games I promise people to play, or in some cases give up prematurely on them and it's difficult for me to go back and finish.

Last edited by Ascovel; 11-27-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #56
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
True confessions:

3 - I don't mind sliders and Tower of Hanoi puzzles.
I love Tower of Hanoi puzzles... and I don't mind sliders now I use a strategy to do them.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:51 AM   #57
Filmfreak

Quote:
I can safely say that I'm ashamed of the fact that I call myself an adventure gamer, but that I've never played a GK game and that I had never heard of The Last Express (which is why I plan on playing all of them soon - I can't ignore classics).

And I've always been ashamed of my constant walkthrough-abuse. Every time I need a walkthrough to finish a game, I die a little inside...
Old 11-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #58

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

I havent played GK3 yet........
Old 11-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #59

Send a message via MSN to usman Send a message via Yahoo to usman

Also........I havent played Monkey Island 4 yet........
Old 11-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #60
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I can safely say that I'm ashamed of the fact that I call myself an adventure gamer, but that I've never played a GK game and that I had never heard of The Last Express (which is why I plan on playing all of them soon - I can't ignore classics).
Oh come on! Ashamed, you say? I can only echo what so many other posters have said over the years: I envy you that you still have those marvelous adventures to enjoy. I can only replay them and that's not the same thing.