You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I'm a younger gamer and I'd really like some recomendations on games.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #1

Default I'm a younger gamer and I'd really like some recomendations on games.

I've been a gamer for a couple of years, but I only more recently discovered adventure games, I've played TLJ and a few other better known games but I'd like to what some of the really good games are that perhaps aren't so well known.

Edit: Oops, I guess the original post was a little too vague. I've played TLJ, Dreamfall, Syberia I and II, Still Life, Myst and a bunch of other games that are not strictly adventure so I'm not gonna go into. I love story driven games and thats really what I'm after here, good graphics and really clever puzzles are just icing as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by LightningValkyrie; 11-23-2011 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Filmfreak

Depends, what type of adventure games do you like? Serious, humourous, first person, third person, ... ??? Which have you played? Do you mind dated graphics?

This forum has a sticky thread *click here* that links to an awful lot of recommendation posts. I suggest you start your search there...
Old 11-23-2011, 02:52 AM   #3

Hello Welcome! Like movieman said, it'd be good to know which ones you already played but here are some of my favorite adventure games you might wanna check out... they're all well known though.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Secret Files 1 & 2
Broken Sword 1 & 2
Gabriel Knight 1,2,3
Lost Horizon
The Book of Unwritten Tales
Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
Senior Passer-by

If you don't like to read (and I think you don't) but prefer to look at the (adventure game) screenshots, you can go here, click on the titles and see how those adventures look like.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
lost in rubacava

Go over to GOG.com and get Zork Grand Inquisitor. It's hilarious and unique, you won't find another game like it.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #6

I'll just start off by saying that TLJ and Dreamfall are 2 of my favorite games of all time. I really love story driven games. Some other adventure games with awesome storylines are Gabriel Knight 1-3 and Grim Fandango. I would also HIGHLY recommend Planescape Torment and Silent Hill 2, while they arent adventure games in the traditional sense they both have stellar writing. Planescape, imho, has an even more complex mythology and deeper story than TLJ which is saying alot.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
overall swell guy

Hiya,

besides the great recommendations you've already got I have one slightly different suggestion with its own atmosphere:

Machinarium by Amanita Design.

What makes it a standout is that the story works very well without any spoken dialogue at all (although there's plenty of communication) and it's quite linear in the tasks while not really being too easy.

The game design is something unique to this developer too (flash animation), so if you want to get a feel for this kind of game maybe you want to try "Samorost" and "Samorost II" first (which I think are legally available for free online).

It's incredible how you can identify with such a basic and rudimentary character (a little robot) better than any other more developed characters I've ever encountered.

The reaction of this little robot in Machinarium when you choose the 'wrong' option alone is just so cute, it amounts to being irresistible. (Shakes its head going "Mh-mh").

Yeah, I think this can really get you into adventure games a little deeper although it is not considered a classic yet and it's basically one of a kind (well, three of a kind, really). But it will be a classic one day, I'm sure ...

I hope you'll consider it. Have fun.

Cheers, Dan.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #8

Thank you all for the recomendations! This should keep my very busy for a good while. ^.^
Old 11-23-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
Senior *female* member

If you like story-driven games, you should definitely play The Last Express.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 AM   #10

I loved Zork nemesis, great story and dark theme. You can find it on gog.com

The last 3 titles of the Tex Murphy series.

Also Gabriel knight 1 and 2. You might like the third game of the series as well.

Last edited by Hudini; 02-12-2012 at 04:37 AM.