You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure game trivia! Free stuff! Green aliens! And more!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Default Adventure game trivia! Free stuff! Green aliens! And more!

Hello AG'ers!

I'd like to present to you the next wave in game trivia. It's SOCIAL trivia. A tough concept to grasp alright, but such is always the case with groundbreaking and revolutionary developments.

[/sarcasm]

So this little experiment could be signaling greater things to come. For now, it's a small contest that will last ten days and is the typical guess-the-adventure-with-a-small-bit-of-screenshot trivia. But SOCIAL. I will be hosting it myself through Facebook and Twitter, so the choice is up to you.

Oh, did I mention the Top 10 winners get each a Steam code for Scratches Director's Cut? Well, now I did.

More info after this introduction that blends classic sensibilities with the idiotic charm of modern life:

Waht?
---------

This is a contest in the tradition of trivia games played in many forums. Each day a small part of a screenshot is posted. Participants must send me by *message* the name of the game. Winners are determined by score (see Rules below for further details).

Starts: Mon 11/21
Ends: Wed 11/30

Prize:
--------

Indescribable Horror

Actual prize:
------------------

The Top 10 winners get each one a Steam code for the brand new Scratches Director's Cut edition. That plus fame and glory.

Ye Olde Rules:
----------------------

1) Only commercial adventure games will be used. Ten in total, therefore ten days of trivia.

2) The trivia can be played through Facebook and Twitter all the same. Everything will be posted twice on both networks, including correct guesses and winners.

3) Images will become increasingly more difficult.

4) Only in-game scenes are used (no cutscenes, inventory screens, etc).

5) Participants must send me by message (Facebook) or direct message (Twitter) their guesses. Do NOT post/tweet your guesses publicly!

6) Each successful guess gives ONE point, so no weird math is involved. Maximum score is 10. Timing of correct guesses is considered in the final ranking.

7) Each participant gets THREE tries. I will personally respond with Wrong or Correct. As soon as humanly possible, that is. And don't get chit-chatty.

8) Images are posted around 12 PM UTC. Solutions will be revealed around 12 AM UTC, meaning no more guesses will be accepted for that particular image.

9) Keep in mind that images have been resampled (enlarged) so they may not be 100% faithful to the actual game.

10) Ye who posts spoilers will be disqualified and publicly shamed.

Finally, you're encouraged to play even if you couldn't care less about Scratches or already own the game. If this is the case, the code will be given to another participant. Have fun!
Old 11-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Sounds fun, can we participate by sending the answers over PM here?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Well, I wanted to stick to Facebook and Twitter precisely to avoid managing forums as well (that could turn into a nightmare).

Let me think about it... In any case, opening a Twitter account is a breeze, and there's no need to share any personal details!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

The trivia is up and running but no one has still guessed the first game... And I thought it was obvious.

(No spoilers!)
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Well, I wouldn't say it's an obvious game, but it is fairly easy. I'm surprised no one's guessed it yet or at least stumbled over that particular screenshot.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Well, 14 people have guessed it by now (after a few obvious hints).
Old 11-22-2011, 04:32 AM   #7

Honestly, I would've never guessed this very first game - I've never even heard about it. The second one is easy (for me), but it is also not a popular title. Thanks God I've already played through two versions of Scratches)
Old 11-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

I honestly thought the first game was going to be easier... I mean, the style was unmistakably Sierra and everybody knows the King's Quest series by heart. So the options came down to a handful of games only, one of which was Troll's Tale.

I guess my reasonings are too abstract

Last edited by Agustin; 11-22-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 AM   #9
Adventure Game Elitist

Where's the second picture?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Check out my Twitter or Facebook accounts (it's all public). It would be too cumbersome to post each picture in all three forums. Once was enough