Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Jurassic Park: The Game (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30095-jurassic-park-game.html)

Schneckchen ^.^ 11-16-2011 07:26 AM

Jurassic Park: The Game

Anyone play it yet? It any good? I haven't been able to find any reviews yet.

aaroncarney 11-16-2011 09:00 AM

Yeah I got it today. Not exactly what I was expecting! At first I was quite disappointed with how you don't get as much exploration as I would have liked. I would have liked to of taken proper control of the character. But now that I have got further into the game I'm really enjoying it! It's very exciting. I'm on episode two now, I was surprised because I thought the game would end after episode 1... so at least I don't have to wait a month to play the next part. :) It could be a lot better... but its good and very enjoyable.

louiedog 11-16-2011 09:07 AM

I played the first episode last night. I'm enjoying it.

I was worried about the control scheme going in. I've been playing it with a 360 controller on my PC and the controls work fine. Getting away from point-and-click to what they did allows the game to be thrilling in a way that adventure games generally aren't. There are fast-paced action scenes and they feel exciting because you can very easily die (and there are some great dino deaths to be seen) if you don't react quickly enough. It's the opposite of being trapped on the side of a moving vehicle and having 5 (or 35) minutes to work everything out. In this you have a second to react.

Now, as a result, it hasn't been very puzzly at all. Is that a word, puzzly? Let's pretend that it is. It's also very easy. Because of the way the controls work, everything in the environment that you can interact with is highlighted. Working out what to do with them is trivial.

It makes the game very easy, at least in the first episode. There's a person that you have to bypass and there are really only two items on the screen. Try both and you've basically solved the puzzle. There's an item you have to find and just interacting with everything in the environment uncovers it. A third puzzle is figuring out how to move the attention of a particular dinosaur. Those are the only three puzzles that I can think of in the first episode. Everything else is timed button pressing.

There are ways to fail and be gloriously eaten by dinosaurs and you are scored lower every time that you fail. You can replay individual scenarios within episodes to try and get them all perfect. That's where the replayability and difficulty come in. Just getting to the end of the episode posed no problem. It may ramp up in the following episodes, but I haven't seen them yet.

I have run into a couple of bugs, but nothing major. I had a small texture on a character's clothing that wouldn't load in some scenes. It's not a big deal, but it was noticeable because it was on screen so much. There's also a scene where audio chunks would play twice about 40% of the time. Others in the Telltale forums reported that and it was annoying, but it's not a big deal. I think they've done some optimizing in the graphics engine. It still looks dated by other games' standards, but it's their best looking game yet and it runs better on my aging machine than BttF did.

It's different from what they've done in the past and I'm sure some people will be very put off by that. I think it's fun and interesting. I hope they make the first episode available for free like they have for other series so that people can try it out.

aimless 11-16-2011 09:29 AM

"There are fast-paced action scenes and they feel exciting because you can very easily die (and there are some great dino deaths to be seen) if you don't react quickly enough. It's the opposite of being trapped on the side of a moving vehicle and having 5 (or 35) minutes to work everything out. In this you have a second to react."

Thanks for that. It took Jurassic Park right off my radar.

louiedog 11-16-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 593805)
"There are fast-paced action scenes and they feel exciting because you can very easily die (and there are some great dino deaths to be seen) if you don't react quickly enough. It's the opposite of being trapped on the side of a moving vehicle and having 5 (or 35) minutes to work everything out. In this you have a second to react."

Yup. I imagine this game is going to put off a lot of adventure game fans. If you like them because you can take your time and explore the world, this is not going to do it for you. There are scenes where you can do that, but there isn't as much to them as you get in a traditional adventure game.

Also, I just messed around with the game using mouse+keyboard (there doesn't seem to be a mouse only option for those who like/need that) and it was clearly designed with a controller in mind. That seems to be the superior way to play, although m+k worked fine.

aimless 11-16-2011 11:21 AM

It's not about time to wander around and explore, it's about reflexes. At my age, mine are about shot. :frusty: I'm not very happy with developers that create 'adventure' games then stick action sequences in them. I have one or two that are sitting on my shelf because I cannot finish them. I was amazed that I got through the rain dance in BoUT and believe me, I'm hanging onto that save. :D

aaroncarney 11-16-2011 12:13 PM

don't let the timed sequences put you off. I have died a couple of times, but thats what makes it exciting. The sequences are very easy.. and if you can't beat them then you must be blind, deaf and very dumb.

aimless 11-16-2011 02:43 PM

Well, I'm not blind or deaf so that's two out of three I don't have to worry about.

Schneckchen ^.^ 11-16-2011 03:44 PM

I think it sounds kinda cool that it's action based considering that it's Jurassic Park but I understand the disappointment if you were expecting an adventure game. Maybe I'll pick it up when it's on sale.

pizzo 11-16-2011 05:48 PM

I am disappointed. At least at the beginning. It's full of quick time events and you don't have freedom even to move the character. It is not like Heavy Rain, where you have control over the characters.

The graphics aren't bad but aren't great either. The graphics look like games made in 2006/2007. And I found a horrible bug wright in the beginning. I selected a resolution incompatible with my TV-monitor, and I could not see the game anymore to correct the video, not even reinstaling the game. I had to install the game on another computer and transfer the configuration file (wich could not be edited directly with wordpad).

I think Telltale should invest more on Back to the Future or similar themes. Definitely, they are not good on action-adventure games.

Owskie 11-16-2011 05:53 PM

i think its just fine!

Majsan 11-16-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 593805)

That counts me out too! :frown:
I don't like games that almost gives me a heartattack out of stress... stress also = the connection between my brain and my fingers stop working... it's really weird... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 593812)
I was amazed that I got through the rain dance in BoUT and believe me, I'm hanging onto that save.

You wouldn't mind sharing? :P

@louidog Thank you for a really good and short review!

aimless 11-16-2011 07:25 PM

Sure, Majsan. Send me a PM. It's funny how popular that save is right now. ;)

Oscar 11-17-2011 04:35 AM

Can this even be considered an adventure game? Seems more like "push the button that pops up on the screen to make the game do something".

diego 11-17-2011 04:51 AM

Sort of expected after Back to the Future.

Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island are quality games, but even ToMI signalled less complicated gameplay and puzzles, and then Back to the Future really went for the easier side.

Believing in Telltale's quality, i hope they'll bring back more creative side to it with other expected titles, which are not popular movie franchises such as Back to the Future and Jurrassic Park.

Oscar 11-17-2011 05:16 AM

I actually thought their most enjoyable so far was Wallace & Gromit, so I hope they make more of those in the same style. And of course Sam & Max was great too.

I don't really mind what franchise they do, as long as it has good gameplay. From what I've seen of JP it seems limited to pushing buttons in response to prompts, rather than allowing free exploration.

Monolith 11-17-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 593874)
I actually thought their most enjoyable so far was Wallace & Gromit, so I hope they make more of those in the same style. And of course Sam & Max was great too.

I don't really mind what franchise they do, as long as it has good gameplay. From what I've seen of JP it seems limited to pushing buttons in response to prompts, rather than allowing free exploration.

Agreed, I too thought W&G was very well done. The way they captured that claymation feel with the animation, dialogue, quirky situations.

I haven't played this game yet, but I did enjoy Heavy Rain, so I don't know what to expect when I get into it. Going to install it now.

pizzo 11-17-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

I haven't played this game yet, but I did enjoy Heavy Rain, so I don't know what to expect when I get into it. Going to install it now.
Yes, there are lots of quick time events in the game, but I wouldn't try to compare Jurassic Park with Heavy Rain. You would be very, very disappointed. (Like me.)

Well, anyway, if I give 10 points to Heavy Rain, I would give 3 points to Jurassic Park (at most).

Monolith 11-17-2011 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzo (Post 593930)
Yes, there are lots of quick time events in the game, but I wouldn't try to compare Jurassic Park with Heavy Rain. You would be very, very disappointed. (Like me.)

Well, anyway, if I give 10 points to Heavy Rain, I would give 3 points to Jurassic Park (at most).

I'll check it out anyways. I've never been much of an objector. I play the games for the experience, not how you play it.

aaroncarney 11-17-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pizzo (Post 593930)

With Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain, there was a lot of discussion as to what these "games" were classed as. In the end i'd class them more as an interactive movie than anything... Jurassic Park has been compared to Heavy Rain.. but in the end Heavy Rain does it so much better. I think what makes a game a game... is the INTERACTION. And with Jurassic Park it just doesn't feel like you are controlling a characters movements or actions. I think the "game" would of really benefitted from some areas where you can freely move the character around the environment and properly explore... instead of the parts where it feels like you are moving a camera from left to right... it just feels really limited. Imagine how good it would of been to walk around the scenes of jurassic park...

Ahh well. I am enjoying it.. but like I have said, it COULD have been a LOT better. Better look next time Telltale... please don't f*** up Kings Quest.