You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sierra Vs. LucasArts

View Poll Results: Sierra Vs. LucasArts
Sierra 48 25.53%
LucasArts 100 53.19%
I'm a huge fan of them both. 38 20.21%
I don't like either of them. 2 1.06%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 01:00 PM   #1

Default Sierra Vs. LucasArts

I know, this is a pretty pointless thread, but before both companies went to hell which was your favourite when they were still making adventure games. Sierra always use to be my favourite adventure company with LucasArts as a pretty close second. Even though the majority of LucasArts adventures were high quality, Sierra had it's fair share of high quality games as well as lots of others. These games that aren't instant classics were pretty good as well. I think Stinger said in his wrap up article in the Top 20 Adventure Games of All-Time that this forum had a LucasArts bias. Is this true? I've voted for Sierra.

I think LucasArts games have proven to be more replayable though. Pretty much the only Sierra games that I replay now are the Gabriel Knight trilogy which is sort of different in comparison to the other Sierra adventures. These games are pretty damn cool.

Last edited by SerialFreak; 04-21-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
lemonhead11

LUCASARTS

Yeah I sorta like Lucasarts more.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #3

In my opinion there's no comparison...

I'm unable to enjoy any of sierra's adventures because of all the dying and saving and restoring which can ruin any great adventure IMO.
...and the adventures from lucas arts much higher quality (not always better though) than any other company...
Old 04-21-2004, 01:21 PM   #4

Didn't we do this of these not long ago?

Anyway, gotta go with LucasArts. Sierra cannot be ignored, though, mostly because its games were the inspiration for many future adventures.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #5

Crap. Did we? If you can find the other thread and link it here, the moderators have permission to delete this thread.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:23 PM   #6
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

You can't compare the two. I love both companies, but they did make very different games after all.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:26 PM   #7
T.J. Hooker's Lovechild

It's kind of hard to compare because Sierra released a much higher quantity of adventure games than Lucasarts... I think that if you assess each companies best games it comes out pretty even.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:27 PM   #8

It doesn't have to be based in reality though. It could just be some sort of weird preference based on nostalgia or something.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:44 PM   #9
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I like both companies old adventuregames, but as AGA said, the games are very different, they can't be compared
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:48 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

I'm a Sierra junkie.

Never even heard of LucasArts back in the day. Dunno why.

-emily
Old 04-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #11
Helooooo Bessie!

Send a message via MSN to dave_minall

it depends what you want out of a game before you decide which one you like more. lucasarts is more likely to make you laugh your ass off, whereas sierra will make you think more, and probably has a better storyline. there is very little in the way of the best out of the 2, but IMO i prefer sierra.
Pirate: A beard?!?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #12
Antibacterial

Send a message via MSN to RemiO

Except for the occasional Space Quest and King's Quest game I really dislike most Sierra games, so LEC it is.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:22 PM   #13
rare groove

Send a message via ICQ to Pappapisshu

LucasArts, without a doubt. Very few can measure up to the awesomeness of DOTT, GF, FT, MI and IJATFOA (hehe...).

Mind you, I've ony played the occasional Sierra game. But I didn't really like 'em. Though, I'd love to try the Gabriel Knight games.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:41 PM   #14

The quality of the old LEC games always seemed higher than Sierra's.

But the eyes.... fight the eyes.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 04-21-2004, 05:26 PM   #15
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

While I like games from both, I'm way more of a Sierra addict. But, like i said, I like 'em both.

First LucasArts game played: Afterlife
First Sierra game played: King's Quest 1
Old 04-21-2004, 06:12 PM   #16

I prefer LucasArts. Sierra is good too, but I've found some of their games to be a bit too frustrating. Actually, I think Gabriel Knight, Police Quest, and a few of the Leisure Suit Larrys are the only Sierra games that I really enjoyed, but for LucasArts it's a perfect record.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:12 PM   #17
Tactlessly understated

Send a message via AIM to Kingzjester

Spoiler:
I think everybody within the Proverbial Adventuregamers Staff should scream at the top of their lungs that the rest of the staff totally has a Sierra bias - just like the Republicans are doing with the Media they run. If it works for the Republicans it should work here...

Shame on you AGS with your crass impartiality and Sierra bias! Shame on you!
Old 04-21-2004, 10:59 PM   #18

Besides Police Quest 1-3 and the Leisure Suit Larry series, Sierra didn't really have that much to offer me. I was totally addicted to those games, but in the end I liked LucasArts more because of the "impossible to die" feature in most of their adventuregames.

Gabriel Knight came a lot later too, I didn't have a PC at it's time of arrival. And it was only just now I got to play the game through, all three of them.

And the Dynamix games really impressed me, although Willy Beamish was my favourite among them. But not sure if that SHOULD be counted as Sierra, although they are PART of the Sierra family.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:08 AM   #19
8-Bit Spritemaster™

I liked Lucasarts better, for a number of reasons...

1: Lucasarts had a better understanding of computer mechanics than Sierra ever did. Sierra started out w/ a few text adventures, and then used a program made by IBM to make their early adventure games. They later had better engines built for them, but it was nothing like Lucasarts, which upgraded its Scumm engine w/ each game.

2: Sierra had too much of a cookie cutter aspect. The games, from the earlier engines all looked practically the same, and had the same sense of humor. Later on, Sierra much improved, and did a fine job at making the games seem far more dissimilar from one another.

3: To many Quest games. Frankly, I wish Sierra would've tried to have been a bit more creative with its series titles.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 04-22-2004, 01:31 AM   #20
Life and times of...

Well, I guess Sierra, even though LucasArts is pretty close. Sierra made the GKs and the King's Quests and I prefer a really mysterious and deep story more than the more humoristic and maybe a little less deeper ones that L.A. makes... I'm not saying that I don't like the L.A.'s stories, I love them, but I just prefer a real, real, real enigma...

OK, Leisure Suit Larry might not be such a mysterious one, but that doesn't count...