You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Black Mirror 4?(spoiler alert)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Default Black Mirror 4?(spoiler alert)

The ending certainly hinted a sequel(we see the "mirror" acting up right before the credits roll). There are also many questions not answered and the ending is a clear setup for continuation. The new butler, the rebuilding of the mansion... the interests of the vatican. Even the fact that the game dates were set in the 90's make me think the developers plan a follow-up.

Is there any official word on it? I know the developer is german(Cranberry productions), maybe the local deutsche know something. I'm not even sure they own all the rights for the series, and it seems Future Games(developers of the first game) are out of business.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
3rd person fanatic :)

Don't know. But if it's done by Cranberry, I will certainly look into it. BM 2 and 3 were outstanding games.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
Replicant

The post-credits scene where Valentina and Adrian discuss the other shades and how he has to go and stop them as the Guardian of Light (I think that's right?) definitely hints at a sequel but I suppose a lot will depend on how well the game sold, etc.?

It would certainly give the developers the excuse to jet-set a bit as despite how nice and memorable the castle, village, and so forth are if another game was made it'd be better to avoid rehashing those areas for the fourth game running. He could go pretty much anywhere in the world following leads.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
Senior Automaton

If they make it, I'll probably pass. BM2 and 3 weren't very good.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBird View Post
BM 2 and 3 were outstanding games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
BM2 and 3 weren't very good.
This is exactly why I'm not sure whether or not I should play the BM series...
Old 11-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #6

I had forgotten about that conversation with Valentina. I really liked the setup we were left with at the end because it reminds of the basic plot of Gabriel Knight... unwilling american discovers ancient european heritage, gets rid of ancient family curse and becomes some sort of modern day witch-hunter. Awesome.

I suppose there could be more "black mirrors" all around Europe, considering the pagan heritage of the old continent. It wouldn't be much of a stretch having some in the Americas and Africa as well. I wonder though, why and how would our main man go about hunting them down? He doesn't have any training, holy artifacts or religious knowledge to help him out. That is one thing that should have been setup better at the end of BM III if the devs want to take the next game this route.... Adrian is just a physics student who has been to hell and back and defeated an ancient demon.

Timovieman : Negative opinions of the BM games are pretty rare, and you shouldn't pass the games just because of that. If anything, all the buzz and great reviews the game got should lead you to play it.

Give it a chance at least. Watch some youtube videos, play the demo. I think BM is hands down the best adventure series of the 2000's. It is not on level with classics like Gabriel Knight, but then again that would be asking for too much.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Replicant

Well to add my 2 pence (or cents) I thought BM2 and BM3 were better than BM1, but the entire trilogy I enjoyed. BM2 is my favourite because it felt like two games split over two halfs because BM2 is the only game in the trilogy where part of the game is set outside of the area the castle is.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #8

I loved BM1. It is a perfect depiction of England in terms of its atmosphere, with the house groaning in the wind, and the crows in the churchyard. The damp, cold, leaf covered ground is exactly how it is now. The locations in that game are all around me where I live, and I regularly go for walks to soak up the atmosphere. For that, BM1 is the best in a stellar trilogy.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Stalker of Britain

amunptah-Where in England? I'm going for my honeymoon, and I'd love to see some similar sites.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #10

I actually liked the 3 games so much that I have a hard time picking a favorite. Gameplay and production wise I think 2 and 3 were better than the first one though.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #11
Tea & Cookie Monster

Quote:
This is exactly why I'm not sure whether or not I should play the BM series...
Never liked the first Black Mirror that much, but I loved Black Mirror II and III. Waited really long with playing the second BM, since I didn't like the first one, and boy am I glad I gave it a chance!

Do like Banter says:
Quote:
Give it a chance at least. Watch some youtube videos, play the demo.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #12
Filmfreak

I've already added them to my list of games to check out. Thanks for the recommendations!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #13

I just read an interview with Anne von Vaszary(writer of the game's story and characters) which was linked to me on another forum. She certainly hints at a sequel:

Quote:
Adventure Corner: Der zweite Teil endete ja mit einem Cliffhanger. War die Fortsetzung von Anfang an geplant? Und wird diese Fortsetzung wieder ein offenes Ende haben?

Anne von Vaszary: Beim zweiten Teil habe ich nur die Story entwickelt (zusammen mit Achim Heidelauf), nicht die Einzelheiten, Rätsel und Dialoge. In meiner Version gab es ein abgeschlossenes Ende. Das war allerdings schon 1,5 Jahre fertig, bevor 'Black Mirror 2' rauskam. Diesmal habe ich zusammen mit Tom Fischer und Michael Holzapfel von den Cranberrys jede Einzelheit und jeden Dialog geschrieben. Die Geschichte mit dem Fluch und den Gordons wird im dritten Teil zu Ende erzählt. Aber das Spiel heißt ja nicht „Der Gordon-Fluch“, sondern „Black Mirror“…
http://www.adventurecorner.de/pages/...ne-von-vaszary

My german is not good enough to translate this without making a fool of myself, but she is basically saying that while Black Mirror 3 is the end of the story concerning the Gordon curse that started on the first game, the game is not called "The Gordon Curse", but "Black Mirror". The interviewer asked her if this game would have a cliffhanger ending like the second one and she kind of took the opportunity to hint that it would not, but that it would not really mean the end of the series either.

Now I'm really hoping for a sequel to be announced sometime in the future. After the hints at the ending of BM III and this particular comment coming straight from the devs, it certainly seems like a good possibility.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #14

I'll gladly hope for it to be so, I LOVED BM2/3
Old 11-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
Senior Automaton

It seems people either like BM1 or BM2/BM3. Which is not surprising since the first one is so different from 2 and 3.

Place me the first category - I thought BM1 was superior to 2 and 3. Mainly because it was really unique and had a poignant art style and lacked an angsty, annoying main character. It might also be due to the style of a Czech developer which I found interesting, rather than the German style we are now so accustomed to in adventure games.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Stalker of Britain

I loved the first one best, but I'm not finished played the 2nd one. I loved the old-fashioned feel, and when the 2nd game didn't show us any of the old characters (at elast for awhile) that we came to know and love, I didn't like it as much.

It took me a long time to get into Dreamfall, since no one we knew from before was mentioned in the first bit.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #17

I agree about the issues people had with Darren, and BM1 just had this amazing charm to it; but I was really impressed with the visual style of BM2/3 - were others not? I think if the character had been better written, it would have topped the original for me. A game like that, with such an interesting story/setting/thematic approach is just amazing in such high fidelity.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #18

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

black mirror 1 was an awful awful game, but 2 and 3 were amazing and were some of the few games i was able to actually able to get through without dying of boredom. Darren is one of the few characters where I actually want to hear what he has to say about everything, instead of just skipping through it.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #19

I also had no problems with the protagonist. Darren was a believable character and someone you could relate to. I probably had more sympathy towards Samuel, but I don't get why some people disliked Darren so much.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #20
Failed Birthday Elf

I really like all of the games and I always find it interesting how they seem to produce such different reactions from people, even within the trilogy.

I agree that the first one is very different to the next two. However, given the storyline this is one series of games where I think having an unlikeable and cold protagonist (i.e. BM1) works really well, it adds to the forbidding atmosphere.

Also Darren's journey from teenage brat to something much darker is very interesting. Likeable? Not really, but interesting.