You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM   #1

Default Yes!

Ladies and gentlemen I want to tell you that I am happy because although I am relatively new to the adventure games genre,after all these years I finally have the legendary Monkey Island!I grew up reading advertisements about the Monkey Island series in magazines and hearing a lot of stuff about this amazing game and now after all these years I finally have it!

What I can't decide is whether to play it with old graphics or new ones as I like both a lot!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:51 AM   #2

play with the old ones first to see the story and then replay with the new ones.if you play the new ones first you might not want to play with the old ones next,they might seem to archaic and you might be discouraged.of course if you know that isn't gonna be a problem go ahead.

at least that's what i would do...
Old 10-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #3
Senior Automaton

Play both. On the SE you can just press a key (F5 or something) to change the graphics from old to new. Personally I would play old and check the new screens at each scene to see the different ideas at play. Then you can play in whichever style you like better.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:17 AM   #4

I'd go with the old ones too. I've played through em with the new graphics once and they're good but whenever I play through them now I'll keep going with the original graphics again. But I guess a large part of that is just the nostalgia.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #5

So you want to be a pirate, eh?

Another vote for the classic MI graphics first!
Have lots-o-fun !
Old 10-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #6

Hahaha kate-m!Who doesn't?
To tell you the truth the first real adventure that I played alone and finished(yes ok with the help of walthrough in some parts...)was Jack Keane.And I absolutely 100% loved that game.Monkey Island and Jack Keane aren't too different I guess.After having a fist taste of Monkey Island gaming when I finished the first chapter of Tales of Monkey Island a few months ago,I think these series are really legendary among the adventure games genre.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #7

I have brought Jack Keane , but I haven't installed it yet...
But unlike Jack Keane, the classic MI is a true 2d old school point and click, and it has a major role in the evolution of adventure games. It might take you a while to get used to use the classic interference (action buttons), and have some...
"Now what do I do?"
"How come I didn't think of that?!"
"What on Earth is that thing?!

...moments, but it's worth EVERY BIT of it !
Old 10-21-2011, 11:18 AM   #8

Biggest difference between Jack Keane and the first couple of Monkey Island games is that monkey island offers a big challenge while Jack Keane is the kind of game you can cruise through without a walkthrough in 1 or 2 sittings.

I would vote for the old graphics, there's nothing wrong with the old graphic, much more atmospheric.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #9

I say play it in its original form for the sake of learning why fans enjoyed the original art direction.

Play the new version for the sake of consistency with the games later in the series.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 10-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

Or yeah just do what Oscar said... you can switch between old and new with the press of a button... play whichever you prefer and then just switch views every screen just to compare.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #11

Oh definetely.Maybe this will help,but a 1-2 months ago I downloaded Flight of the Amazon Queen and played it a bit,so I don't have any problem with the old graphics.On the contrary this is the point:

When I was a kid,in the early 90s I used to buy a greek magazine called PIXEL.In that magazine I used to see a lot of reviews and advertisements about many games of that time and as you can understand many of them were Role Playing Games and Adventure Games.So all these image of old Adventure games like Kyrandia,Secret of Monkey Island,Flight of the Amazon Queen,Space Quest and others have been imprinted in my mind since then and I've always wanted to try them or to at least...own them!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #12

If you haven't played the Gabriel Knight series, they are also on www.gog.com. Really awesome old adventure games and besides the Monkey Island series, probably my favorite.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #13

I love the (old) graphics in these games. For me, the pixelation is just part of the style. I grew up on the Monkey Island games, so I'd be interested to hear what you think of them.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagomorph View Post
I love the (old) graphics in these games. For me, the pixelation is just part of the style. I grew up on the Monkey Island games, so I'd be interested to hear what you think of them.

I agree with you on the pixelation,old games had a very beautiful charm and they are far more different than the later polygon ones of the late 90s and early 2000s.I think the best for the Monkey Island series,although I haven't played much the first game,I recently bought A LOT of PC games of various genres and I've been playing other ones more.But I loved the humor of the Tales of Monkey Island which I was playing a few months ago until I got stuck somewhere in episode 2 and temporarily stopped.I consider it...a big break from Tales of Monkey Island....hehe.You gotta finish these games...it's a pity if you don't and I know it.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #15

Those remasters needed an option where you can play with the old graphics but keep the voice acting.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Those remasters needed an option where you can play with the old graphics but keep the voice acting.
That was included in the second game, following fan feedback about the first one.