Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   The new Blackwell game (spoiler-free) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/29867-new-blackwell-game-spoiler-free.html)

TommyTheTurnip 10-15-2011 11:12 PM

The new Blackwell game (spoiler-free)

I'm suprised there hasn't popped up any discussions about it yet, it would be interesting to hear what you guys think,

personally I had plans to buy it the second it came out, but now that I've seen the screenshots I just can't really bring myself to do it,
I mean look at this screenshot for example:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/images/db/20008.jpg
That looks like it's almost completely untextured 3d from 1994 :S
I mean what kind of material is that background building made of that's just solid grey?

Obviously I wasn't expecting high-res next-gen graphic, but with the success of the very atmospheric Geminie Rue you would think that:
a) he'd realize that atmosphere sells.
b) he'd had the money to hire a experienced artist.

I'm sure the writing will still be good so I want to play it one day, but for now I'm just kind of suprised.

Oscar 10-15-2011 11:45 PM

That hi-res portrait conflicts horribly with the game style, which I really like. The point of using low-res is you can use your imagination to fill in the gaps, sort of like impressionism. I haven't played this series, but I've heard good things about it.

Matt Berkeley 10-16-2011 12:10 AM

To me all this concern people have with imperfect voices and imperfect graphics is so very tertiary.

First, and far above all the rest is the gameplay (challenge and mechanics).

Second, the narrative and story...

Oscar 10-16-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Berkeley (Post 591698)
To me all this concern people have with imperfect voices and imperfect graphics is so very tertiary.

First, and far above all the rest is the gameplay (challenge and mechanics).

Second, the narrative and story...

Just because someone at a restaurant is happy with his steak, doesn't mean he can't complain about his vegetables being undercooked.

Matt Berkeley 10-16-2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 591700)
Just because someone at a restaurant is happy with his steak, doesn't mean he can't complain about his vegetables being undercooked.

If someone at a restaurant is happy with his steak, and happy with his vegetables, and complains about the color of his plate, does that mean I can't comment upon that as being quite bemusing? :P

Sik 10-16-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Berkeley (Post 591701)
If someone at a restaurant is happy with his steak, and happy with his vegetables, and complains about the color of his plate, does that mean I can't comment upon that as being quite bemusing? :P

If the plate detracts from the overall experience of the meal, I'd say that's a valid reason for complaint. If I got a perfect meal served on a plate with a pattern that looked like old food stains I'd certainly question the choice.

TommyTheTurnip 10-16-2011 02:07 AM

Or if the food itself came from the chief instead of the waitress and it was rare medium even if you ordered the sallad!

jhetfield21 10-16-2011 03:30 AM

i don't care....i ordered the limited DVD edition with all of them just yesterday.i like the atmosphere in all of them and they are not alike when it comes to graphics.clearly they are trying to improve the quality of the graphics while still being in 2D one step every time or maybe two but i liked all the previous i don't think this will turn me off.especially if the story is good.

Matt Berkeley 10-16-2011 03:31 AM

Well, I didn't start the food analogy. But hopefully my taking it from Silly-ville to Sillier-town ended it.

I was just having my say about how I am sometimes amused and always bemused that these things (subpar voice acting and disagreeable graphics stylistics) can cause someone to possibly dismiss a game.

It's just to me so very tur she airy.

Just weighing in with my opinion that it's almost all about the gameplay.

hotspot 10-16-2011 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTheTurnip (Post 591695)
Obviously I wasn't expecting high-res next-gen graphic, but with the success of the very atmospheric Geminie Rue you would think that:
a) he'd realize that atmosphere sells.
b) he'd had the money to hire a experienced artist.

I'm sure the writing will still be good so I want to play it one day, but for now I'm just kind of suprised.

Just to clarify; while this game and Gemini Rue share the same publisher [Wadjet Eye, founded by Gilbert], the latter was independently created by Joshua Nuernberger. Your comment made me believe you thought the two games were more intimately related.

PolloDiablo 10-16-2011 05:57 AM

The name on the boat is not the name of the artist nor an easter-egg.

TommyTheTurnip 10-16-2011 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloDiablo (Post 591713)
The name on the boat is not the name of the artist nor an easter-egg.

Ah thanks for clarifing, that makes more sense, I've been in situations myself where an artist tries to put a huge graffiti of his name in the background or a huge picture of him on every newspaper on the street, but good to hear that is not the case here. :)

@hotspot aka. captain obvious: Thanks but I was just saying that:
a) he'd realized atmosphere sells (because even tho he didn't make it himself, he's very aware of the sales-figures)
b) he'd have the money.. (even tho Josh probably gets the largest cut I would think that with the game selling 3x more than dave expected he would at least have made enough money to make sure the game would be on same graphics level as Convergence), (obviously I'm wildly guessing as I'm not his accountant, hence the "I think")

Edit: Wait, I just got the Wadget newsletter where it says Deception has broken the sale record of Geminie (in only a few days), so I guess I was wrong; atmosphere doesn't sell (I was under the impression that GR was and would be overperforming the blackwell series because of its atmospheric graphics grabbing ppls attention), so I guess the guy knows his audience very well (even tho he missed out on me this time)

jhetfield21 10-16-2011 09:10 AM

oh come on....you can't really dismiss a game from one screeshot...or even ten.you don't know what kind of atmosphere there is until you play it.at least say you played the demo or sth.

Jelena 10-16-2011 09:59 AM

Well I for one like all the Blackwell games for the characters, stories and music and just bought the limited DVD. I'm confident I'll be entertained. :)

noknowncure 10-16-2011 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyTheTurnip (Post 591716)
so I guess I was wrong; atmosphere doesn't sell

Wow, best market research ever!

If you'd just ended before the semicolon, you'd be more on the money.

kate me 10-16-2011 11:06 AM

I looked at a few screens, and their not THAT horible ! I don't usually like character portraits in a game, but I'll get used to them eventually...
I played all 3 Blackwells, and I like 'em! And in the world of 3d games, it's nice to see a 2d game once in a while...
I'll get my claws on it soon, and until I'm going to play it I'm not gonna have a clear verdict. :P

Oscar 10-16-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Berkeley (Post 591706)
Well, I didn't start the food analogy. But hopefully my taking it from Silly-ville to Sillier-town ended it.

I was just having my say about how I am sometimes amused and always bemused that these things (subpar voice acting and disagreeable graphics stylistics) can cause someone to possibly dismiss a game.

It's just to me so very tur she airy.

Just weighing in with my opinion that it's almost all about the gameplay.

So..... would you blame someone if they looked past something like this on the shelves in favor of something with the latest RPG graphics, like WoW?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TkeUFwbj8Y...ltima2-011.jpg

jhetfield21 10-16-2011 03:49 PM

yeah ok but isn't it a little extreme?you compare this to wow when it's extreme to even compare this type of graphics to the blackwell graphics.it's day and night.it's too extreme a difference to consider it a counterexample.

Oscar 10-16-2011 07:01 PM

It was definitely extreme - that was the point. I'm challenging the idea that graphics don't matter - because to the vast majority of game consumers, they most certainly do.

Peter254 10-16-2011 11:20 PM

"Graphics do matter. But they should not."

A conundrum. But I agree with the ethics behind it, that graphics--in principle--should not matter. This means that if I do pass on a game because of graphics, I will at least feel guilty. Thus, in a sense, my subconscious acknowledges that I am wrong and I made a poor decision. In all likelihood, I passed on a game I would have enjoyed.

Furthermore, we should consider STYLE, which cannot be classified as good or bad in any technical sense. Subjectivity creeps in. I actually like the way Deception looks. It's fine to my eyes. And, uh, well...more for me, less for you.