Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Test Yourself - Are You a True Adventure Gamer? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/29844-test-yourself-you-true-adventure-gamer.html)

zoontar 10-10-2011 06:43 AM

Test Yourself - Are You a True Adventure Gamer?

Always wondered how experienced you are in the adventure games "scene"? Now's your chance to find out!

Below are 100 snippets from 100 different adventure games - old, new, well-known, obscure, classics, indie etc. Go through the snippets and count how many you undoubtedly recognize the game from which they were taken. Then check your result at the bottom to get a detailed, and scientifically accurate, analysis! (which was previously calibrated using a control group - honest! ;))

Don't forget to share your results!:)

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1326/roundies.jpg

Less than 10: Rookie -
Welcome to the adventure games genre! You've tried some of the more well-known games and now want more? Here's a great place to start.

10-20: Young Adventurer -
You're no stranger to the adventure game genre. You've tried, liked what you saw, and are now looking to make the next step. This website and forums are a great place to do just that. You have much to learn and experience young one.

20-30: Adventurer -
You've already tried quite a few adventure games, certainly all of the most well-known ones. Time to try some of the (slightly) less-known games, there are some true gems to be found! (The Last Express, Amber: Journeys Beyond, I have No Mouth And I must scram, Sanitarium, to name a few...).

30-40: Veteran -
It's the late 80s\early 90s, you're a young boy, your older sister introduces you to the King's Quest series or perhaps Day of the Tentacle - it's a love at first sight:9~. It's not surprising to find you in these forums, but even for you there are new things to experience. Have you tried any indie games yet?

40-50: Super Adventurer -
Wow! You don't play games do you?
Actually, that's all you ARE doing! You're no doubt an experienced veteran of the genre, know almost every game that's worth knowing. Respect.
For you I can only recommend to look into the future, the adventure genre is experiencing somewhat of a renewed revival in recent years and there are some nice things to look forward to.

51+: Adventurer God -
Holy sh*t! You, my friend, are insane. You gobble adventure games as if they were some midday snacks. Not only do you know every adventure game ever created, you also have the visual perception of a reconnaissance satellite. I salute you. Even though you might want to consider trying some other things in life...;)

Disclaimer: This quiz was made so you could have some fun. It is by no means comprehensive or authoritative and the results are to be taken accordingly. Thanks! :)

Siddhi 10-10-2011 09:36 AM

I'm awful at recognising scenes. Funnily enough, in this list I recognise more icons from games that I haven't played than I have

MoonBird 10-10-2011 09:46 AM

21 recognized.

Shany 10-10-2011 10:09 AM

I recognize about 45.
However, much of my knowledge is from various quizzes rather than playing the games...

Arial Type 10-10-2011 11:42 AM

That's challeging. I recognized 50 and I'm glad I'm not insane)

cuchulain 10-10-2011 11:56 AM

I got 37 myself. You should post an answer key there are a few I think I know but not 100%. It'd be nice to see for sure.

Gabe 10-10-2011 12:26 PM

I used to be but now not much left to play..38

Drolin 10-10-2011 12:47 PM

35 recognized (well, not sure to be :) or :frusty:)

Anyway great test.

SpeedBo 10-10-2011 01:01 PM

I got 51
There are few more that look familiar.

Now I'm waiting for zobraks to swoop in & show off.

colpet 10-10-2011 01:09 PM

They are too small to see.:frown:

Monolith 10-10-2011 07:47 PM

Never liked this. Scenic obsession doesn't make you a true gamer, just the experience in playing them. Though this does look fun though. Sadly my brain isn't working all that much right now.

zoontar 10-10-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colpet (Post 591461)
They are too small to see.:frown:

Sorry for that. Wanted to get them all showing without having a huge pic... You can press Ctrl+scroll the mouse wheel to enlarge the pic though, it should help quite a bit.

Trying to do this as objectively as I can - i.e not counting anything I have the slightest doubt I wouldn't have recognized have I not made this - I get 36. Though I think that's being a little too hard on myself and that my "real" score is more around 38-43...

@cuchulain
I might do an answers post eventually. I originally did this a while ago, and in the meantime have forgotten which games a few of the pics come from...:frusty:
For now you can spoiler-ask regarding any individual pics you want to know about and either me or the other users can try and answer:)

Harald B 10-11-2011 12:04 AM

Too many of these are concept- or box art or otherwise not in-game. For a test going to such fine details, you'd expect a bit more care. (Yeah, I'll figure out my score later. Nice concept for sure.)
Quote:

I have No Mouth And I must scram
Lol.

zoontar 10-11-2011 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harald B (Post 591494)
Too many of these are concept- or box art or otherwise not in-game. For a test going to such fine details, you'd expect a bit more care. (Yeah, I'll figure out my score later. Nice concept for sure.)
Lol.

The scores are somewhat calibrated to take into account all of the obscure pics and/or concept art - there's a reason why there are 100 pics yet the highest score is 51...;)
Also, MOST of the box art pics chosen are instantly recognizable by anyone who played the game anyway.

Regarding the misspelling of scream - I saw that shortly after posting but it was so funny that I decided to leave it unedited :D

Edit: Forgot to mention the most important thing - this wasn't originally made to be a quiz, it was made as a decorative element for another adventure forum I'm participating in. After I was done I thought it could be nice to also give it out as a nice test yourself quiz :)

Schneckchen ^.^ 10-11-2011 03:12 AM

Great quiz! Even though I'm kinda sucking at it lol.

OneFlesh 10-11-2011 05:40 AM

There's a lot that I'm torn between which sequel it is. I think I'd narrowily squeak into obsessive territory, but I need to look a bit more carefully when I've got more time.

Spoiler:
Simon the Sorceror 1 vs 2?? I didn't even know the sprites were different!

kate me 10-11-2011 07:58 AM

Nice idea! :)

Just 37 of them for sure-sure...

And I doubt on a couple ones...

DustyShinigami 10-11-2011 11:14 AM

Nice test. I got about 28 or so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoontar (Post 591429)
20-30: Adventurer -
You've already tried quite a few adventure games, certainly all of the most well-known ones. Time to try some of the (slightly) less-known games, there are some true gems to be found! (The Last Express, Amber: Journeys Beyond, I have No Mouth And I must scram, Sanitarium, to name a few...).

Sounds about right to me. :) I've already played The Last Express and Amber (though they weren't for me) and I've yet to try Sanitarium and I Have No Mouth...

inm8#2 10-11-2011 12:38 PM

So...we going to put together a solution?

I know about 22 definitely, and there are maybe 7-8 of which I'm not too sure.

Harald B 10-11-2011 01:03 PM

Turns out I'm just a few short of 30, which makes the scoring feel right to me. Good stuff.