You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Default Adventure family

Hello to all adventure(and other) game lovers!

I would like to start my first thread as an introduction to all of you on the forum of course but also to share my first expirience with an adventure game
It was the early 90's, I was about 6-7 at the time and my older brother was playing Monkey Island 2 while my older sister and I watched, that is also one of my earliest memories of video games I have. The two of them provided voice work for the characters in the game so we could immerse ourselves into the game (especially me) in a unique family way. I loved watching the game as I would have watched any cartoon or movie at the time and even today adventure games for me are as much a multiplayer game as any since almost all of them I play with either my sister or (this time younger) brother, since the Firstborn lives in another city now. The first game my sister and I played together was Broken Sword about 10 years ago on the PS 1. I didn't have a PC at the time and played mostly on that wondeful console.Lots of RPG's and the few P'n'C games there were at the time. To this day we have played the first 2 BS games about 10 times and it never gets boring, always providing additional commentary in the game and making new gaming memories. Altough I also play them alone, the feeling cannot be replaced when I play with members of my family. We have played through loads of them, from GF, DOTT, FT, MI series, The longest journey and Dreamfall, Sam and Max, Runaway series and others (better not to name them all since the post is getting a bit long ).
Don't worry I won't drag out the whole family gaming history
I have been on Adventuregamers for some time but only recently registered and know finally decided to become a part of the community and maybe try out in writing a couple of reviews of the games I love to play. I will probably be looking for some new games on here to play once i find the best thread for that.

Now quick look behind youm a three headed monkey!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #2

you don't need a thread to find the games just look at the reviews tab and all the way down to find a list of games with a star rating to find promising ones.there are also screenshots and info about the game so you can make an educated guess on how good that game would be for you.

as far as the family aspect goes,i'm an only child but i also started out with BS and also played it with my cousin a lot of times(BS 1 and 2) and every time we would notice more of the dialogs and descriptions and find meaning in them or research them(since nearly everything in BS is actual history or at least it's valid history and theories and not made up) and we would end up talking about things and in the end find links between things that we didn't pay much attention to the previous times.

it certainly is more fun when you play with someone else,but i think it has to be a situation where you both(all in general and not necessarily two people) have the same drive and interest for the game.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
Lazy Bee

Welcome to the forum Rolandesch!
Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Adventurer

Welcome to the forum!

Just Finished: Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

Currently Playing: The Secrets of Atlantis
Old 10-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #5

Welcome, nice post too, made me smile.

As for recommendations. Read this thread, read the reviews.

Those two sources alone gave me the amunition to make a list of 50+ games that i knew were loved and rated highly by at least a few people.

Playing adventures with friends and family is some of the most fun you can have. just wish my brother was into adventure games when we were younger/now
Old 10-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #6

Thanks for your posts people and I will be sure to look through the whole list and make one of my own after a lengthy time of considering which 10 are my favs
Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

one heads up on that top ten list thread i forgot to mention, because of how old it is. lots of the best adventures of the last 7 years or so might not be mentioned in the first few pages, so keep that in mind.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:57 AM   #8

i talked to my cousin and we might start an adventure game together after a long time.but the problem is he might not stay long so we need a short one.....and preferably point and click one.

any suggestions??

PS:i might shoot down some of them since we want a mutually unplayed game and while he's only played BS i have played a lot more.maybe not all classics but some of the known ones
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #9

Well my sister and I finished The NEXT Big Thing in a day and if you played Runaway that would be a good one to try. Also played with my cousin Lost Horizon which I found a good game, more puzzle and a little less dialouge then the average p'n'c. I found Puzzle agent 1 and 2 to be a good game to play together ( my brother, cousin and I played it) as the Hector games from Telltale games. I will think more about and post more of them later. All of these games we played during 1 day or over 2 nights except for Lost Horizon which is a bit longer.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:14 AM   #10

How about Machinarium? It's rather short. Some of the puzzles are a little difficult but there is a built-in hint system. And unless you've played Telltale's games already, any one of their seasons should fit the bill.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #11

i've played all except Puzzle Agent and Hector Badge.

i'll check them out.

PS:checked them .....if there's anything a little more serious and less wacky.i'm not that picky but the cousin is.sth serious and mind-boggling.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #12

I guess you have played Secret Files 1 and 2 then? I just finished them recently and would recommend them. The only other game I can think of atm are the CSI games which I liked despite the low ratings they usually get. And I have just started playing Gemini Rue and as far as the atmosphere goes it's great, I'm a huge Blade Runner/ Phillip K. Dick fan and the game feels like those were it's key influences but can't give you an overall opinion since I only have an hour or so of gameplay. Hope some of this helps.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #13

played all those.....i give up...i'll just get one i think is good and we'll finish it at Christmas or sth....thx a lot for the input guys.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
How about Machinarium? It's rather short. Some of the puzzles are a little difficult but there is a built-in hint system. And unless you've played Telltale's games already, any one of their seasons should fit the bill.
EDIT oh you have played them

hector isn't a bad choice if you like crude humour, but theres nothing really of subtsance to the plot or atmosphere so that may be a negative.