You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 06:02 PM   #1

Default Heavy Rain 2

... is apparently never going to happen. Kotaku today links to an interview with David Cage which makes it pretty definitive that he won't be making a sequel to the game. However, it goes give some hints about a future collaboration with Sony that sounds exciting.

http://kotaku.com/5844954/heavy-rain...-stupid-at-all
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #2

Eh..... I liked the game but Heavy Rain is one game that seriously does NOT need a sequel. The ending was pretty concrete.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 PM   #3

It's really sad that out of one side they can deride all these sequels, then out of the other they say Cage is "stupid" for not doing a sequel to a game that absolutely doesn't need one.

This really seems to be a bit of a non story though, considering Cage has said before he wouldn't do a sequel.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:15 AM   #4

Cage isn't big on sequels. He had planned to do DLC for Heavy Rain besides "The Taxidermist" which would have fleshed out the story more, but ironically, the higher than expected demand for the game caused Sony to want to create the Move version of it, and so the focus went off the DLC to making a viable Move version of the game. It's likely that his next game, whatever it may be, will be done in a similar manner even if it is not a sequel. Cage likes the QTE system to back his more mature stories a lot if Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain are any indication.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #5

I never knew a sequel was even a remote possibility. Loved the game but the story is self-contained. I could see a new title that spins off one of the characters, like the detective.

Quantic could also follow up Heavy Rain with a completely new story but a (r)evolution in the gameplay, much like Heavy Rain built upon what started with Indigo Prophecy.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 09-30-2011, 11:26 AM   #6

I'll be perfectly happy if he just gives us a collector's edition, with all the missing scenes like all the dream, tsunami, underwater sequences... all added in... I'll buy it again...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 10-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
Quantic could also follow up Heavy Rain with a completely new story but a (r)evolution in the gameplay, much like Heavy Rain built upon what started with Indigo Prophecy.
Yea that's clearly the way to go...
Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
Psychonaut

I'm fairly sure Cage mentioned all along while developing the project that it was a one time story.

He wanted to use the tech to set up a format of games, but wouldn't do a direct sequel to Heavy Rain as he had enough of the serial killer type story.

There has been various rumours about their next game, however the most likely seems to be that they have resurrected "Infraworld". (one of their cancelled projects and it appeared as an Easter Egg in Heavy Rain)
Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #9

If Cage is working on a new game that's all that's important. Pretty ballsy to forgo a sequel for a new title when all we hear about today is sequels and reboots. Good luck to him.