You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #1

Default Noctropolis

Many times while I am browsing throught this site, or the forums the following question comes in mind : 'How on earth does Noctropolis gather so little attention'?

I really can't find a reason. First of all the game is stunning and has a very unique dark artistic style. It introduced adult themes which were way above its era in the game industry. Story-wise it might not be the BEST game but its world its full of interesting themes. And most important of all it has a certain cultish quality that is very rare to find in any adventure game especially post-2000.

Casual games get reviewed, the whispered world gets a rating of 4* and not a single person even talks about this game, why's that?

I think it REALLY deserves a review.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
Freeware Co-ordinator

Assuming you mean this Noctropolis then the fact that it came out before this site existed is probably a factor. I also imagine that it is quite hard to come by a legitimate copy now and that it is also difficult to run on modern computers. With the number of games coming out now, it feels pretty hard to justify covering a game few will be able to play, even if they can get a copy.

There is always the Reader Review forum if you are keen to explain in more detail why you think it merits attention. I'd never heard of it until you opened this thread so a bit more detail would be of interest.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
. I'd never heard of it until you opened this thread so a bit more detail would be of interest.
That's the point I was trying to make, it just strikes me as odd that so few people have even heard it. It's not like it was an underground release or anything it was a perfectly normal adventure game probably made with a healthy budget as well.

It won't have any problems running on modern day machines its fully dosbox supported and I tried it myslelf a few years back. Getting a copy is another thing though..I still have the box myself but I cant find the disk. I could upload pictures of the box if anyone's interested though.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

Since you're so keen on it, I'd definitely be interested in knowing more about why. Screenshots would almost certainy help on that.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I think the game was a flop when it came out - not sure why. Personally I really enjoyed it's pulpy, batman-y style.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #6

Ok then I'll try to say a few more things about the game. Please excuse any mistakes as English is not my native language.

The game starts in a very similar way than Gabriel Knight:Sins of the fathers does, you play the role of an unsuccessful bookshop owner specializing in rare books. Apparently you're a fan of a comic book hero called Darksheer and in a very early stage of the game you get a strange looking young girl on your doorstep that delivers you a package. By opening this package you are transferred to an imaginary world, in a city called Noctropolis in which you assume the role of well...Darksheer.

Darksheer is a bit of an interesting character because he's not inherently good or evil. He just acts upon whatever he thinks it's best and has an interesting mix of hero and anti-hero traits. Batman is obviously the main inspiration here mainly due to the looks but Darksheer appears less complicated as a character and darker. Furthermore, instead of getting something like robbin for a sidekick you get a very sexy blong in a tight suit wearing stiletto shoes. Despite being a superhero he does not have any particular superpowers except that he can cloak himself. Another interesting characteristic is that he can heal himself in a pool of black liquid in his lair. Later in the game you actually learn that he's addicted to this liquid.

The main story is about his struggle with noctropoli's super vilains. These include the Succubus (a sex maniac wearing white stockings-literally), Greenthumb (a human-plant mutant hybrid or something), Dreamer (a deformed mutant capable of putting you in a dream world) and many others. The goal is to find who's behind all this crime in the city and at the end there's a very interesting twist.

The game uses a classic point and click interface it has gorgeous 2D backgrounds, all the characters are in FMV and there's quite a lot of bit of voice acting as well.

Now why I like it:

1) It has a very unique campy style. Noctropolis is all about comics apparently, but I have to say that I was never personally a fan of comics. The artwork is just way above average for an adventure game and its dark style it's just unique. More importantly its theme and visual style put it in a genre of adventures that are long gone now, the group I like to call 'dark'. In this respect its very similar to bloodnet, bureau 13 and Hell which they're all cyberpunk while Noctropolis clearly is not.

2) It has some very mature themes, especially for 1994 and even for today's standards. There's blood and gore but there's also nudity which was a first for adventure games or even mainstream computer games in general. The next moment in time that I remember nudity in adventure games after that was Phantasmagoria 2 and I guess we all remembered how bad that game was.

Ok, I know that 1994 is a VERY hard year for an adventure games to stand out. But despite my love for the game I think there are objective reasons that grant a bit of attention for it. In a nutshell it's very stylish and very unique!

You can find screenshots on the net if you like, I didn't post any because I wasn't sure If I was allowed.

Saying all these, I hardly understand that I am talking about a nearly 20year old game, and it seems like yesterday. I just came closer to the realization of how old I am

Last edited by azadragon; 09-28-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #7

It's one of my favorite adventure games. Didn't know anything about it when it was released back in 1994 till a couple of years later when I found it in a bargain bin in Electronics Boutique. I guess back then everyone was still crazy about Myst.... Ok, I just checked, also in the same year, big games, and among them, Under a Killing Moon, Beneath a Steel Sky, King's Quest 7, Journeyman Project, and Legend of Kryndia 3 all came out. Really tough competition that year and good games like Noctropolis (along with Hell: Cyberpunk Thriller and Dragon Lore) got lost and sadly didn't survive...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 09-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Senior Automaton

It's a good game, just not brilliant. A poor man's Gabriel Knight. I enjoyed the theme and puzzles but thought it lacked good characters, which are so essential in adventure games.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
3rd person fanatic :)

Mobygames has some screens of it:http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/no...is/screenshots

azadragon: Don't apologize for your language! That was clear and very clean English!

As for missing games: These are at least missing from the AG:s database:

- Igor: Objective Uikokahonia
- Heaven's Dawn
- Bud Tucker In Double Trouble
- Missing On Lost Island
- Teen Agent

Last edited by MoonBird; 09-28-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: add. info
Old 09-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #10

I bought it when it first came out. Loved it then , still loved it now. Perhaps a bit too linear but most adventure games at the time were also rather linnear. Has a very dark noir gothic atmosphere since noctropolis is a city that never sleeps , it's permanently night.

IE game review of Notropolis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZh9t_dbVbw
Old 09-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #11

I played it just after it came out and enjoyed it for the most part. As I recall it had a peculiar install that was confusing but a good look for games of its time with an interesting story line.

I love Darkseed and usually mention it as one of my favorites, but I know newer gamers will say "what the heck?" at what to them seems terribly dated. It's always a pleasure to see someone else feels the same about your favorites, but sometimes you had to be there.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dara100 View Post
I love Darkseed and usually mention it as one of my favorites, but I know newer gamers will say "what the heck?" at what to them seems terribly dated. It's always a pleasure to see someone else feels the same about your favorites, but sometimes you had to be there.
I think it's all about what you're looking for. If newer gamers are willing to play Gemini rue (which personally I found it excellent) then why they shouldn't try Noctropolis which has more detailed graphics? And yes why they shouldn't try Darkseed which is another very stylish and unique game?

I really don't think that the graphics of Noctropolis appear terribly dated in adventure gaming standards.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadragon View Post
I think it's all about what you're looking for. If newer gamers are willing to play Gemini rue (which personally I found it excellent) then why they shouldn't try Noctropolis which has more detailed graphics? And yes why they shouldn't try Darkseed which is another very stylish and unique game?

I really don't think that the graphics of Noctropolis appear terribly dated in adventure gaming standards.
I hadn't seen the YouTube review above when I posted, and I have to agree with you that the graphics still look very good. When I played it graphics cards were not as evolved as they are today so I probably couldn't appreciate it as much.

As an aside, having recently bought a state of the art graphics card I'm very pleased how it enhances old games for the most part. There are a few that don't translate well such as Mysterious Journey, but they're the exception.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Grue Master

I liked the game although I never finished it. I can't remember why unless it had something to do with the interface.

Last edited by GreyFuss; 09-30-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #15

Looks cool. I've never heard of it either but I really like FMV games. Maybe it'll be on GoG sometime.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #16

I remember i bought the game when it came out and the box arrived,i opened it and inside was only the cd and a photocopied manual translated in greek!!
Old 10-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena View Post
I remember i bought the game when it came out and the box arrived,i opened it and inside was only the cd and a photocopied manual translated in greek!!
Well yes, that exactly was my experience as well since I live in Greece too. I still have the box.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadragon View Post
Well yes, that exactly was my experience as well since I live in Greece too. I still have the box.
The box still feels awfully empty,doesn't it??
Old 10-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
Grue Master

Here are photos of the original big box of Noctroplolis and its contents that I have. Is this the same box that you guys have?

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMGP3840.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMGP3835.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u...s/IMGP3838.jpg
Old 10-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #20

I'm in the US. My box was black and white and flat - less then half an inch. It may already have been a re-release but it had all the contents of the big box. I may look for the original on eBay.