You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Are some game genres inherently "more fun" than others?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 08:05 PM   #41
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
Or is there something wrong with the fact that results of clicking are usually context sensitive and not firmly established?
No, absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. I already said this is simply an observation of what makes adventures unique, not a criticism. But this is why the enjoyment/opinion of quality of an adventure is so fundamentally subjective, whereas there seems to be a commonly accepted base level fun factor that other genres can fall back on (to a point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree
Certainly in the "good old days" this was true, but very often hotspots are indicated by the name flashing up somewhere on screen, or the cursor changing etc. in more recent games. We still sweep the screen but there is not so much mindless clicking!
True. I included screen sweeping originally, but got tired of repeating myself. But the point remains. Huge sections of adventure games are spent discovering what you don't know (which at the beginning is absolutely everything) and learning what you can and can't do. The actual puzzle solving really only begins once enough of those blanks have been filled in. Until then, you're really at the mercy of the designers.