Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Broken Sword Directors Cut for free (right now!) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/29726-broken-sword-directors-cut-free-right-now.html)

cuchulain 09-22-2011 11:59 AM

Broken Sword Directors Cut for free (right now!)

GOG.com has a promotion going as they close in on their 6 millionth download. Person who downloads the 6 millionth game gets every game they offer for free but after it hits everyone will be able to d/l Broken Sword for free. It will only last 48 hours after the 6 millionth download tho. It is the new directors cut with added chapter from Nico's point of view too.
http://www.gog.com/en/news/help_us_a...oads_milestone

inm8#2 09-22-2011 12:10 PM

Is it the 6 millionth download or purchase? I think they actually mean purchase but maybe I'm overthinking.

cuchulain 09-22-2011 12:23 PM

Yeah I'm sure its purchase.

Jannik 09-22-2011 12:26 PM

Every game that is purchased and downloaded counts towards the 6 million.

Another thing:

"Secondly, everyone who has an account on GOG.com will be able to download Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars Director’s Cut for free, thanks to Sir Charles Cecil and Revolution Software."

It sounds like you have to register before the 6 million is reached, but I don't know for sure.

Monolith 09-22-2011 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jannik (Post 590276)
Every game that is purchased and downloaded counts towards the 6 million.

Another thing:

"Secondly, everyone who has an account on GOG.com will be able to download Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars Director’s Cut for free, thanks to Sir Charles Cecil and Revolution Software."

It sounds like you have to register before the 6 million is reached, but I don't know for sure.

If thats the case, hopefully I remember my login info. :P

aimless 09-22-2011 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 590273)
Is it the 6 millionth download or purchase? I think they actually mean purchase but maybe I'm overthinking.

If you've already paid for a game but haven't downloaded it yet, it counts when you download it.

I doubt you should pay much attention to that counter; it seems to be ticking off seconds rather than downloads. But I imagine it's close.

exilekiller 09-22-2011 06:17 PM

at 1 closer each second that still going to be 138 days til they reach 6 million

fov 09-22-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jannik (Post 590276)
thanks to Sir Charles Cecil and Revolution Software."

Charles Cecil is a knight? :confused:

PolloDiablo 09-22-2011 09:24 PM

Well, he's a Member of the British Empire, doesn't that entitle one to be called 'Sir' too?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...ens_Honors.php

Monolith 09-22-2011 11:49 PM

I thought you had to be knighted to get to use Sir in your name?

Intense Degree 09-23-2011 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolloDiablo (Post 590296)
Well, he's a Member of the British Empire, doesn't that entitle one to be called 'Sir' too?
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3...ens_Honors.php

No, it's only the KBE (i.e. being "knighted") that gets you the title "Sir".

Idrisguitar 09-23-2011 02:09 AM

i think it is a light-hearted compliment on behalf of the gog team really :)

this is great though, that they are choosing to mark this massive event (i say massive because every major gaming website will be posting a story about this) with an adventure game. should really boost exposure to the genre at least in the short term.

BS1 is probably the best for it too, graphically not outdated, not too many crazy puzzles, great production values. hope it makes a good few people want to research more into the AG scene.

Fien 09-23-2011 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exilekiller (Post 590291)
at 1 closer each second that still going to be 138 days til they reach 6 million

More like 50 hours. :P

If every download counts, all you have to do is register and download a free game.

EDIT: approximately 200 hours actually. 15-16 hits per minute.

aimless 09-23-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 590306)
If every download counts, all you have to do is register and download a free game.

That's not the way it works. The first download of any game you've bought and paid for counts.

Fien 09-23-2011 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 590320)
That's not the way it works. The first download of any game you've bought and paid for counts.

Where did you see that on the GOG site? I haven't noticed any mention of the word "bought"; all they're talking about is "unique downloads".

GOG: Note that when we say "unique games downloaded," that means redownloading games that you have already downloaded before won't increment the counter.

aimless 09-23-2011 06:33 AM

How do you download a game you haven't bought?

Intense Degree 09-23-2011 06:52 AM

You find one of the games that GOG provides for free, i.e. LOTT or BASS and add it to your account. You are then able to download it for free.

When the 6Million is hit GOG will reduce the price of BS to free so it can be downloaded the same way (so say the GOG team on their forums) for 48 hours only.

Fien 09-23-2011 06:53 AM

They have FREE games. You know, like without paying anything.
Teenagent. Beneath a steel sky. Lure of the temptress. Etcetera.

Lagomorph 09-23-2011 07:08 PM

So it comes with the original version too, right? I've never played a Broken Sword game. I might have to get in on this.

Lupin The Third 09-26-2011 01:39 PM

There's a clarification posted in the general discussions on the Gog Forums that they are only counting paid downloads. So those of you discussing "contributing" by downloading the freebie games are missing the point. It's 6 million paid downloads. I can't link right now as I'm on my phone but the discussion is easy enough to find if you don't believe me. Then again I think it's funny that people believe they're entitled to a free game for dling free games...talk about obamanomics in action.....