You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Game Playthrough - Tex Murphy: Overseer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #101

sorry everyone... i kinda lost the momentum when Fien... err... decided to enjoy the peaceful autumn (but that's not to say that Kuru hasn't done a great job, too) and i've also had busy few weeks and i didn't play anything, so at least i didn't cheat you with another game

I'm getting right to it and i'll try to catch up
Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #102
The Quiet One

Unrelated to the playthrough, but here's the first part of an interesting interview with Aaron Conners about Tex Murphy, conducted/compiled by GOG.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #103

I'm sorry I dropped the ball on the playthrough.

But Fien's back now! Hopefully that will inject some life back into it for the final parts (of which I have very bad memories).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 10-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #104

Just finished. Very enjoyable, though I began to miss the big picture about Overlord and what the people behind it were trying to accomplish.

3845 points. Not sure what I missed, as for each section I checked a walkthrough to make sure I completed various actions.

It's too bad this is the last game in the series, as the ending suggests it should have been otherwise.

Great playthrough! I look forward to the next one.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 10-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #105

Finished with 3266 points. This is the problem with hanging endings... you never know if you will be able to complete the story .. now we're left in suspense as to what actually happens

I found the last part of the game starting from from Gideon's bedroom to be quite hard. Lots and lots of death traps, and after a point I got sick of dying again and again, and started consulting the walkthrough a whole lot more. Also the puzzle difficulty took a big jump up in the second half of the game.

It almost seemed like a game with two parts. The first half with more investigating, exploring and storytelling. By the time we finish Greg Call's lab, the whole story is pretty much fleshed out, and it turns into more of an action game with lots of stealth and death traps.

I was disappointed with the minor appearance of Klaus. After all the buildup, he just got a couple of seconds of talk time, and he's dead.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game. Great story, and decent puzzles, even if a bit hard in the latter part. The FMV was pretty well done if you ask me.

I'll look to play Mean Streets sometime. Though I hope there aren't too many sequences like the shooting game in Gideon's house.

Thanks to Fien & Kurufinwe for leading this walkthrough. Finally got to complete this game that I've been meaning to for a looong time
Old 10-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #106

I've also finished. Didn't have nearly as much trouble with the prison drones as I recall having the first time I played the game - maybe our computer was less responsive thirteen years ago.

I wound up with about 3500 points ... out of a possible 1500. This is what happens when you have to switch to Entertainment Mode in the second-last area of the game. (I just cannot do the art gallery floor puzzle. I could not do it thirteen years ago, and I cannot do it now. Last time I had my brother to take over, this time I resorted to the skip button.) Anyway, I found the conclusion to the storyline satisfying, and the final chess puzzle is fun.

Of course, then there's that horrible cliffhanger ending. Thirteen years later, I am still annoyed about not getting another game. (So far, anyway.) And I still wonder what the Faberge eggs mean.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:53 AM   #107
I am the boss of you

Try this to know a bit more http://www.unofficialtexmurphy.com/c...adio/index.php

Last edited by SuperEdy; 11-03-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 PM   #108

Thanks, have to check this out. Good to know that the story wasn't left hanging there
Old 11-30-2011, 05:05 AM   #109

Default Perhaps a solution to anyone having freezing problems

Folks, hi,

More than a bit late to the party here, but I have quite a lot of experience with Overseer. I reviewed it for Games Domain (now defunct) when it was first released way back in 1998. There is an archived version of that review here:

Tex Murphy: Overseer review

First, a bit of triva: saw earlier in the thread that someone was wondering how Tex originally got his nickname. It is indeed short for Texas, and this is how it came about:

Spoiler:
In Pandora Directive there is a hobby horse in Tex's bedroom. If you click on it, you get treated to a cut scene whereby Tex is a kid riding on this hobby horse. IIRC... lightning strikes, the horse goes berserk and launches Tex right through the ceiling. The hole he makes in the ceiling as a result looks much like the outline of the state of Texas. So his family gives him that nickname from then on :-)

Anyway, down to business concerning the game freezing... Overseer is one of those games that will not run *at all* on processors with hyperthreading or dual core. There is an entry on Steve's XP Games Corner that not only shows you how to get the DVD version working in all its glory, but also links to a generic section of Steve's XP Games Corner that tells you how to run 'imagecfg' on a particular .exe file so that it only uses a single thread/core:

Steve's XP Games Corner entry for Tex Murphy: Overseer

This may even be applicable to the GOG version for Window 7, 64-bit, if the .exe file for the game is still the 32-bit version. But running imagecfg will definitely sort out anyone who is trying to get the original version of the game to work on XP.