You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AGs to play in the fall

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Default AGs to play in the fall

I woke up this morning to 46 degree weather, reminding me that summer is ending and fall is closing in. While picking up my Pumpkin Spice Latte to keep me warm on my morning commute, I thought about all my favorite things about fall, one of them being my annual playthrough of Grim Fandango on the weekend of the Day of the Dead. I love taking that Saturday -- or Sunday -- to sit in front of my laptop with a mug of hot cider or mulled wine and relive the story of crime and corruption in the Land of the Dead

How about everyone else? Got any games you love to play around this time of year? Do any titles stir up warm memories of autumn?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Senior Passer-by

When it comes to playing the adventure games - I prefer winter, but for those who haven't played it yet these days near the equinox are fantastic for playing Barrow Hill (although any time is fine for such a great game).
Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Oooh this is a great thread topic.

For the fall, you can't go wrong with Broken Sword. "Paris in the fall..."

Also, The Last Express, Myst, Amber: Journeys Beyond, and Blackstone Chronicles give me nice memories of the fall. I can't really explain why, though.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 09-15-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
Lazy Bee

I get the same feeling rottford, fall is perfect to dig into an adventure game old or new. I rarely play adventure games during the spring or summer since I try to savour every moment of warm weather and sun there possibly is. But as it gets darker outside my attention turns towards games.
I don't have any specific game I play annually, this fall I hope to be able to play Bracken Tor and perhaps replay the Syberia games.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #5

And how about the Autumn Forest in The Whispered World:

But i don't know, i love to play games all year's time... maybe summer is even my fav one. I guess it's because i also love drinking tea in summer most And i don't know if i'll manage to play ANY game this fall because of the tortur.. err, fall tournament
Old 09-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #6

i would say about paris in the fall and BS but i can see inm8#2 covered it so .....+1 brother
Old 09-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I can't think of any games I play in Autumn... I pretty play anything year round like someone else said. I do like a snowy game for winter... but I also like to play snowy games on very hot days in summer - makes me feel cooler...
Old 09-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #8

I personally have been waiting for the cooler weather to play some of the "scary" adventure games that have been waiting in my queue like Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Dark Fall 2. You just can't play scary games when it's hot.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #9
Senior Automaton

Summer: Monkey Island, Sam and Max series (funny, festive)
Autumn: Gabriel Knight (just feels autumny)
Winter: Darkness Within, Last Half of Darkness or Amnesia (dark, cold)
Spring: Myst (uplifing, hopeful, renewal themes)
Old 09-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #10

Paris in the fall... Well, that says everything.

Other than that, I could much easily list some games which remind me on summer (my favourite season), spring and winter (my least favourite season). But autumn definitely has it's charms too (especially Indian summer). Among the games I've played, the first "Black Mirror" game is the one which reminds me on the true fall (the golden one) the most, though I'm still not entirely sure in which season the game actually takes place. In Willow Creek, weather is always gloomy, regardless of the season.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 09-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #11

@Interplay dude believe me you can.this summer i played Scratches and Dark Fall 2.you just need low lighting headphones(the good ones that cover your ears completely) and a fan to lower the temp maybe even put it on you to make your hair stand and then play.it's enough to amplify the horror qualities.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:58 AM   #12

Around this month last year I was quite exicted that Bracken Tor was about to come out, because I loved the idea of playing it in the fall, or winter. Then it was delayed to the summer. Now the cycle is complete... maybe.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #13

Well...
The only season that I don't like is winter. And that is the only season that can influence me on choosing certain adventure games. Because of that, in winter I play most warm,summer,sunshine in the background games...
I love all the other seasons almost equally, and I rarelly choose a certain game to fit those seasons so, I play whatever game.

But if I'm thinking of autumn as the time to remember and a bit of melancoly, then Keepsake would fit the bill.

And if I think of literarry autumn and autumn backgrounds , beside my favorite game (that I'm glad so many metioned it, as always ) I think a few fall screens here and there have : Secret files 2, Chronicles of mystery 2, and Loom (if you like old games)...
Old 09-17-2011, 05:24 AM   #14
Lazy Bee

This thread has made me pick out Broken Sword and Beneath a Steel Sky for fall. Broken Sword for the 'Paris in the fall'-thing and BASS for....I don't know. The thread just triggered my memory and it was just too long ago that I played it.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #15
Replicant

Broken Sword 1 is the only game that immediately comes to mind, that feel of "Paris in the fall" as has already been mentioned, an elegant and historic city. An amazing game, none of the sequels live up to it IMO.

Hm, thinking closer about it, how about Gray Matter? Some very nice autumny England scenes in that.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #16

Costume Quest